Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There is a (or yet another) discussion in Off Topics about "modern" sounding recordings. I could have posted this there, but it seems more appropriate here...

Some might not be aware that you can find a number of "Vocal Only" videos on YouTube. This can be helpful for those looking to "capture" a similar sound in their recordings.

Since the Ed Sheeran song "Perfect" has been mentioned in one of those threads, here is what the vocal sounds like:

And here is the mixed song:

If this is the style music you are wanting to do... in your current (or next) song mix, solo your vocal and bounce between listening to YOU and then ED.

Do you have similar processing?
There is likely more delay and more reverb and compression - and maybe a little chorus? - on his???

Perhaps someone who wants to make the argument that BIAB can provide something similar would want to capture the vocal and put a BIAB production around it (not to sound "just like the record" but to sound similar).. although the legality of posting that here is suspect. But you could do it for yourself and send it to anyone you wanted to convince...? (just an idea)

Veteran
Veteran
Definite step in the right direction. As always, your approach is MUCH better than mine. lol I'm just hoping this opens people minds a little. It's the type of thing I was alluding to when I said "just not there yet." It's all these little things.

Great job in posting this.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I've been doing this for years. PGMusic is nothing short of amazing. While it certainly cannot run with the original in the cost and high quality of every facet of production, at mp3 level - It's like is it real or is it memorex?

Some of the members that have been around a long time will get that on the way home tonight....

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Worthy of note is the simplicity of the arrangement; with the exception of the harmony vocals and the session strings of course. But note that there's only a few bars of any lead instrument in the whole song. Just a few bars. Just one instrument.

Veteran
Veteran
Yep...reverb, echo, and chorus is what it sounds like in the tails in the top video.

So, the secret, if there is one, to getting good vocals......

I would say that most people treat their vocals as "also ran".... yeah, the song needs a vocal and one take and we're done, maybe two. The only time they sing is when they have a track to record. Heck, we all do this to some degree. The only time I really spent several hours a day practicing singing and playing guitar was when I was a full time musician for a living. Life intrudes on those of us who have to work 8 to 10 hrs a day. If you have the time to sing a few hrs a day, you will notice a change in your voice. Kinda like exercising.... you see results when you do it right and for long enough.

Real singers, the pros, the ones who sound good, are the folks who also study singing. And in particular, their singing. They rehearse and practice singing. They treat it like it's an instrument, which it is. They work in their studios on not only the vocal itself..... tone, inflection, phrasing, projection, strength, characteristics, qualities, but on the actual process of recording. How much reverb makes the vox sound good and how much is too much? Echo? Chorus? And the big ones, EQ & Compression.

For those who are curious and want to sing better vocals, I would recommend getting Melodyne.... not because it can fix stuff but because you can SEE stuff. Most folks don't realize the bad habits they have in their vocals until either a vocal coach points it out or they can look at a Melodyne blob and see it for themselves. Using this ME method helped make me aware of several bad habits I had and was subsequently then, able to fix. If you're pulling a note or holding back.... you can see it on the screen.

The key to getting good with anything whether it's playing guitar, piano, or singing, is to practice perfectly. Lots of people practice, but if you're practicing mistakes, you will make those mistakes perfectly every time.

So.... set up a mic, set down.... no, actually, standup, fire up the DAW and work on just singing with no background instruments. The goal is to learn how to make it sound full and present.

Vocal quality, or what you think you sound like doesn't matter. Unless you are in the very small percentage of people who actually can not carry a tune and honestly sound like a croaking bullfrog trying to court the frog on the next lily pad....... you can learn to sing decently. There are a number of professional singers whose voices are questionable at best, but they are out there singing for a living.

Just do it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Yup! Melodyne blob study goes a long way to seeing habits.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

That misses the point entirely. And goes off on another tangent.

This was not about singing. It's about processing vocals in the current musical landscape.

Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I feel the effects choice AND treatment with those effects lends as much to the feeling of "when" a song was made.

Effect sounds do change "with the times." Sometimes in a new way, sometimes to give you a "throw back" type of sound.

I've actually been a bit surprised with some of the videos like what you posted Floyd. I would NOT have know THAT was how the effects sounded. In the mix, they sound so different to me.

Great topic for a post.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

That misses the point entirely. And goes off on another tangent.

This was not about singing. It's about processing vocals in the current musical landscape.

I excel at missing the point entirely.

However, no amount of processing...well, almost no amount of processing will salvage a horrid vocal.... depends too on the final result and stated goal of the song.

In my own defense... I did mention something about the effects in the last part of paragraph 2.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 05/02/18 01:59 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
L
Expert
Expert
L
Thanks. I'm really enjoying this thread.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
The use of delay is very interesting to me and is not something I have tried.

Noel posted a video a few threads down from this about using delay instead of reverb, or with just a very little reverb, apparently that's how the pros do it.

It's something I want to experiment with soon.

Good thread!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
The use of delay is very interesting to me and is not something I have tried.

Noel posted a video a few threads down from this about using delay instead of reverb, or with just a very little reverb, apparently that's how the pros do it.

It's something I want to experiment with soon.

Good thread!

Dave,

Am I correct in recalling that you use Reaper? If so, my recommendation is to watch this video first (it explains the effect and how to do it really well)...

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=469778#Post469778

and then this video second (this is specific to Reaper and shows how to use Reaper's delay to create slapback)...

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=469782#Post469782

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Noel,

Yes, I use Reaper but have never tried the readelay.

Watched the video and I'm trying out that stereo slapback delay now on my latest song, “Life ain’t a Cookie Jar”, which currently just has reverb on the vocal, maybe I'll post a new mix.

Thanks! smile

EDIT: Unable to edit my song description in the showcase, it's been up there too long.
To my ears, which are not the best ears, I'm still learning this stuff, adding the stereo slapback delay and backing off on the reverb is an improvement. I updated the mix on reverbnation but left the one on soundcloud with the original (just reverb) mix if anyone wants to compare them.

Sorry Floyd, didn't mean to hijack your thread blush

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 05/03/18 04:13 PM. Reason: Added song name :P
L
Expert
Expert
L
Good Stuff. Thanks Noel, I'll watch those two videos in due course. Busy trying to figure out the VoiceLive 3 Extreme - finally. It has a few slap back delay settings. One it calls Elvis!

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
Watched the video and I'm trying out that stereo slapback delay now on my latest song, “Life ain’t a Cookie Jar”, which currently just has reverb on the vocal, maybe I'll post a new mix.

Thanks! smile

EDIT: Unable to edit my song description in the showcase, it's been up there too long.
To my ears, which are not the best ears, I'm still learning this stuff, adding the stereo slapback delay and backing off on the reverb is an improvement. I updated the mix on reverbnation but left the one on soundcloud with the original (just reverb) mix if anyone wants to compare them.

Dave,

There is a difference. To my ears, the vocals on Reverbnation sound a little more intimate and a little clearer.

I enjoyed the opportunity to compare. Thanks.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Guys

Well this sounds like a challenge right up my street because I am busy recording this track (with Lebz on guitar) as part of an album to sell at our National Arts Festival in July.

Please note: I always obtain the necessary licenses from CAPASSO for cover songs when I produce these albums to sell at my live shows. Here is my acapella lead vocal. I would love feedback on what you think I could do to improve on it. I will post the finished version a little later.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96

Thanks! smile

Dave,

There is a difference. To my ears, the vocals on Reverbnation sound a little more intimate and a little clearer.

I enjoyed the opportunity to compare. Thanks.

Regards,
Noel

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Noel, I appreciate the extra set of ears!

I found to get the best results I needed to add EQ in the chain after the delay module to bring down some harsh frequencies that I was not hearing without the delay. I think they were always there, the delay just brought them more to the front.

Anyway, lots of promise and I’m going to experiment more next week with this.

Edit: I've uploaded the new mix to soundcloud now also, I don't think anyone else is interested in listening. Might as well have the best one up there too.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 05/06/18 06:16 AM.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Guys

Well this sounds like a challenge right up my street because I am busy recording this track (with Lebz on guitar) as part of an album to sell at our National Arts Festival in July.

Please note: I always obtain the necessary licenses from CAPASSO for cover songs when I produce these albums to sell at my live shows. Here is my acapella lead vocal. I would love feedback on what you think I could do to improve on it. I will post the finished version a little later.

Your vocal sounds good. Even, balanced. Good amount of reverb. (none of the distortion that used to show up).

The final result will, of course, depend on how it sounds with whatever tracks it sits in - it needs a context to really know.

But... compared to the Sheeran vocal, yours is fairly "conventional". That is not a "bad" thing... it is conventional. The Sheeran vocal obviously has a whole different kind of processing going on. I hear something that sounds like a Rotary Speaker plugin has been used on it. There is definitely some delay (or a lot of it), too. I'm not hearing a delay in yours (did you use one?).

I have never gone down this rabbit hole before - the one about "how are current, 'modern' vocals processed". So any comments regarding how those vocals are processed are guesses - and since I have never used a rotary plugin on anything, it is simply based on "I think I hear this"...

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Guys

Your vocal sounds good. Even, balanced. Good amount of reverb. (none of the distortion that used to show up).

The final result will, of course, depend on how it sounds with whatever tracks it sits in - it needs a context to really know.

But... compared to the Sheeran vocal, yours is fairly "conventional". That is not a "bad" thing... it is conventional. The Sheeran vocal obviously has a whole different kind of processing going on. I hear something that sounds like a Rotary Speaker plugin has been used on it. There is definitely some delay (or a lot of it), too. I'm not hearing a delay in yours (did you use one?).

I have never gone down this rabbit hole before - the one about "how are current, 'modern' vocals processed". So any comments regarding how those vocals are processed are guesses - and since I have never used a rotary plugin on anything, it is simply based on "I think I hear this"...

Floyd, thanks so much. I don't know how you guys can identify what you are hearing. I suppose it is years and years of practice. I put up some "acoustic treatment" in my studio the other day (some old blankets draped on some speaker stands actually) and could not hear any difference. Lebz said he could hear the difference the minute he walked into the room..sigh...

So here I go down this rabbit hole too... I am just downloading a trial Rotary speaker plugin and will experiment with it and also some delay, I didn't add delay to the first version, only reverb . (I always battle a little with delay).

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Almost all vocals (these days) include some delay. Most good delay plugins will include presets specifically labeled for vocals. That is a place to start.

Don't forget, the Rotary Speaker thing was a guess on my part. When you try it, pay attention to the amount on the "mix dial" (or "wet/dry" if it has that). turn that down at first to keep the effect "subtle". (Same with delay) then try higher settings to see how they affect thee vocal - and most importantly, how it sits in the mix.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,708
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197