Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The only reason you can hear any of his vocal effects in this song is the sparse arrangement. Focus there first, then worry about the vocal effects.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
The only reason you can hear any of his vocal effects in this song is the sparse arrangement. Focus there first, then worry about the vocal effects.

There is a time and place for sparse music and a time and place for dense, heavy, loud music. You've made it clear in the past, Scott, that you prefer the light airy kinds of music. No problems there. But this is a "discussion" about how vocal processing affects the sound of songs these days - how much a part of the "modern sound" is determined by the way the vocals are processed... A sparse production with a thin, light reverb, no compression vocal isn't going to get close to capturing the overall sound presented by these examples.

Veteran
Veteran
Okay so here is a first stab at the full mix. I did use a bit of nectar's delay and a Rotary speaker plugin on the lead vocal. I would love to know what you think of it. I am busy with a whole album of 14 songs for our National Arts Festival (all acoustic) so it will be nice to set a base for all the other mixes.

I am not using band-in-a-box (other than to put some drums on so that we can keep time - which are muted in the final mix). I may put some percussion loops on some of the tracks.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: floyd jane

There is a time and place for sparse music and a time and place for dense, heavy, loud music. You've made it clear in the past, Scott, that you prefer the light airy kinds of music. No problems there. But this is a "discussion" about how vocal processing affects the sound of songs these days - how much a part of the "modern sound" is determined by the way the vocals are processed... A sparse production with a thin, light reverb, no compression vocal isn't going to get close to capturing the overall sound presented by these examples.

We agree on one thing that all kinds of music have their place. As for my stating my preference for light and airy music, I think you might have me confused with someone else. A very brief listen through my soundcloud tracks will reveal that I probably lean the other way than what you are stating is my preference.

The point that I'm making in this thread is that these type of effects on relatively quiet or subdued vocals; like Ed Sheeran's vocals in the example; really only have their place when the arrangement is sparse to begin with. If the mix was any more dense in the example song - say there was a keyboard added in to the mix, or leads throughout, ability to hear the effects on the vocals would quickly fade. The only time this is not the case is when the effects are intentionally over the top and they are not in the case of the example song given.

Floyd, I've listened to your songs, and you do not 'over-arrange'. You show restraint and taste in your use of BIAB and arrangements. It's clear you practice critical listening to existing songs, and apply that learning to your arrangements. Focus on vocal effects would work in your arrangements; not saying that's necessary.

Sorry if you feel I wasn't following the point of the thread.

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

We agree on one thing that all kinds of music have their place. As for my stating my preference for light and airy music, I think you might have me confused with someone else. A very brief listen through my soundcloud tracks will reveal that I probably lean the other way than what you are stating is my preference.

The point that I'm making in this thread is that these type of effects on relatively quiet or subdued vocals; like Ed Sheeran's vocals in the example; really only have their place when the arrangement is sparse to begin with. If the mix was any more dense in the example song - say there was a keyboard added in to the mix, or leads throughout, ability to hear the effects on the vocals would quickly fade. The only time this is not the case is when the effects are intentionally over the top and they are not in the case of the example song given.

Floyd, I've listened to your songs, and you do not 'over-arrange'. You show restraint and taste in your use of BIAB and arrangements. It's clear you practice critical listening to existing songs, and apply that learning to your arrangements. Focus on vocal effects would work in your arrangements; not saying that's necessary.

Sorry if you feel I wasn't following the point of the thread.

I did not intend to misrepresent your preferred listening habits. The few songs (of your own) that you have linked to over the years were, as I recall, more on the "airy" side. And any examples of music that you have noted as "things you are listening to" seem to be along those lines as well. I might have missed any references to "heavier" songs...

These discussions - about "modern" music - and what that means and why BIAB users don't produce that - originally referenced mostly Modern Country - which owes a lot to current Pop and R&B/rap/hip-hop... Those songs ARE generally "production intense". Caaron (who I consider a "student" of the modern sound) has implied that a large "problem" in attaining that sound for the home recording group is "missing" the vocal sound that is a big part of what creates the "sparkle" of pro level recordings. Lacking access to mega-bucks equipment for recording and processing vocal makes that a hard nut. We can give it our best try...

The example I provided was based on the fact that I was able to find the Ed Sheeran "vocal only" video and that can be compared with the video of the final product. I readily admit that it is easier to note the vocal processing in the final product because it is a sparse arrangement. It was intended to help people (we in the BIAB community - and especially those attempting to recreate the "modern sound") hear an example of vocal processing that they might not have considered. IF we could find a similar vocal-only recording of a current Country radio song - with the typical BIG explosive bunch-of-guitars chorus - I am fairly certain that it would be way-more-processed than the typical home recordist, too. Probably even more so than the Sheeran vocal - in order to make it "pop" and cut through all those explosive guitars....

Veteran
Veteran
I tend to over process (or over produce) everything first to experiment.
Then a couple days later go back and lighten up the processing to fit better.
By experimenting like this I find some unique ideas and some that don't work at all.
To me, that's part of the fun.

/"Let's copy that and try a ring modulator on the reverb of the doubled track!"

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is a fascinating and revealing discussion. It was interesting to see how little reverb was used in the Ed Sheeran. Reverb can easily be over-used as it is flattering to the singer (singers always ask for more reverb!) but it also makes the vocals seem more distant. It is clear that delay has been used as well as compression. There is very little variety of vocal volume so when the voice goes low it is practically as loud as when he is singing at higher pitches and obviously projecting more. Therefore something has been applied to level the vocals. You also have to be careful with levelling as it can take out the expression and variety. There might also be some auto-double tracking applied in the Ed Sheeran example.

Thanks for the thread as it made me think about my own vocal processing methods and maybe revise them a little.

Veteran
Veteran
I think here as with the other thread song by Gotye, dynamic processing is used so it changes from one part of the song to another. Chorus vocal is obviousy brighter for one and bgv is damped down with eq. Everybody doubles or triples these days so that's there. I think the whirly could be a double track or more than one mixed in under or with the other main vox tracks. It's okay. I'm not a big fan of that whirly sound whatever it is or the robots plugged in with it. I probably shouldn't even be commenting on this stuff because I prefer retro or at least modern with a retro feel when it comes right down to personal taste. One of the reasons I like Bruno Mars and Adele is through the modern I hear the Motown. Good song though, I like that.

Last edited by Sundance; 05/07/18 07:41 AM.
L
Expert
Expert
L
Lovely Joanne. I liked both versions. It would be fascinating to see how it would sound with a heavy dose of AutoTune and some of those multiple delays on the ends of key phrases as seems so popular these days. I'm sure there's lots of other processing stuff that I don't easily hear as well.

Anyway, a great thread.

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Veteran
Veteran
There has been so much great discussion with this thread. It may be a bit of an ear opener for some. I swear, the world of production is pretty much it's own beast when it comes to a song.

One thing that I didn't see (but may have missed) in all of the discussion of getting a better vocal sound is room treatment. That, in many cases, is the dead give away in a home recording studio. From what I've seen/heard, the little vocal mic barriers don't work all that well. A simple test to see how much of a difference this can make is to take a large comforter (like for a bed) and drape it over yourself and the microphone, then record yourself singing. Many times, you will get a much more full sound than if you are just recording in something like a closet...or for sure an open room. Typically, it will eliminate most of the room noise. It's crazy what this can do for the presence of a vocal regardless of the microphone. If you find that to be the case. There are some simple and inexpensive treatments you can make for vocals that don't have you sweating under the comforter...but it does work. The difference an be staggering. It's one of those fix before the mix things to do. Poor room treatment can really limit the quality of the vocal.

One last thing, I know Floyd was nice enough to point out these vocal only videos are available to listen to. The cool thing is, it's not limited to only vocals. Instruments too! smile

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
There has been so much great discussion with this thread. It may be a bit of an ear opener for some. I swear, the world of production is pretty much it's own beast when it comes to a song.

One thing that I didn't see (but may have missed) in all of the discussion of getting a better vocal sound is room treatment. That, in many cases, is the dead give away in a home recording studio. From what I've seen/heard, the little vocal mic barriers don't work all that well. A simple test to see how much of a difference this can make is to take a large comforter (like for a bed) and drape it over yourself and the microphone, then record yourself singing. Many times, you will get a much more full sound than if you are just recording in something like a closet...or for sure an open room. Typically, it will eliminate most of the room noise. It's crazy what this can do for the presence of a vocal regardless of the microphone. If you find that to be the case. There are some simple and inexpensive treatments you can make for vocals that don't have you sweating under the comforter...but it does work. The difference an be staggering. It's one of those fix before the mix things to do. Poor room treatment can really limit the quality of the vocal.

One last thing, I know Floyd was nice enough to point out these vocal only videos are available to listen to. The cool thing is, it's not limited to only vocals. Instruments too! smile

You know... Pretty much every record Dave Cobb produces is done with the vocals recorded "in the room" - with the band - to get that room sound... Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Anderson East, Sturgill Simpson... just to name a few... When Luke Laird and Shane McAnally (two VERY "current" kinds of guys) produced Kacey Musgraves "Pageant Material" it was done "in the room" at RCA Studio A - with everyone in a circle... to "get the room"...

Thoughts?

Veteran
Veteran

You know... Pretty much every record Dave Cobb produces is done with the vocals recorded "in the room" - with the band - to get that room sound... Jason Isbell, Chris Stapleton, Anderson East, Sturgill Simpson... just to name a few... When Luke Laird and Shane McAnally (two VERY "current" kinds of guys) produced Kacey Musgraves "Pageant Material" it was done "in the room" at RCA Studio A - with everyone in a circle... to "get the room"...

Thoughts?

Oh! No doubt about it; there are some AMAZING sounding rooms that are amazing for recording. Our home studios though, probably not. lol

A great sounding room is that, a great sounding room...RCA Studio A would be a great example.

Our "recording room" may or may not contain a second refrigerator, a 24x36 Dale Ernhardt framed and signed poster, a running desktop and laptop, open window near a busy street; but we close the door so we can't hear our spouse running the blender. At least the tile floor is cool on our feet. smile All exaggeration of course.

Even if we feel we have a decent room for recording, I feel it's typically less than desirable for the type of sound you have shown in the video. Typically...no absolutes. Pick a song you really like and do a quick search on youtube for people who have covered the song, and you will hear a a fine selection of audio issues happening before a note is sung. You can instantly hear many issues. I think if we can start with eliminating some of those, it goes a long way in improving the final product.

So we are on the same page. I totally agree that a great room can sound soooo good on a recording. I was more mentioning a simple, inexpensive solution for someone who may be looking for a possible way to get a bit closer to the sound above. I would be curious if anyone tries it and if anything improves. Maybe not. But it is something to try and learn from.

Thoughts, my good man?

Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm headed to get a quilt at this very moment. I'll bet it's dark under there... atmosphere!

I always like trying "the new stuff".

No ruts for me!

smile

Veteran
Veteran

No ruts for me!

smile

Sounds like a song title.

For a human can mean boredom. For a deer, possible death. lol

Veteran
Veteran
I'm headed to get a quilt at this very moment. I'll bet it's dark under there... atmosphere!

Important tip I forgot to mention : Do NOT record vocals under any form of blanket if it's a day you have gas. It ruins that atmosphere you spoke of quickly.

Also, candles to see better are a "no no."

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195