Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
B
bobc Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I want to playback a BIAB (or Real Band ?) file and at any time during the playback have it jump to a 4 or 8 bar bass or drum solo, and when the solo is done have the playback return and start playing where I invoked the solo (and without the break ever again playing unless I want it with a key press).

I understand Conductor may be able to do this.

What happens when the 4 or 8 bars breaks are done ? Does playback automatically resume the full BIAB music at the point where I punched the break key ? If not how do I get back to the point where I invoked the break and in time ?

And do I put the breaks after the end of the normal BIAB tune ? I assume I don't put the breaks in the middle of the BIAB chords or they would automatically play every time I played the BIAB file, correct ?

In other words, how do I prevent the breaks from playing unless I want them to with a keypress during the BIAB normal playback ?

Thanks for any clarification.

All the best, Newbie Bob

B
bobc Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
And I should have asked: other than the manual is there any tutorial or YouTube video explaining how to use Conductor Window in a live setting ? Haven't checked the "Help" window in Conductor yet but I suspect it will not be much "help". Certainly a tutorial or better yet a video would be extremely helpful and useful- how to get the most out of Conductor in a live setting.

-NewbBob

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobc
Haven't checked the "Help" window in Conductor yet but I suspect it will not be much "help".

I don't know why you would think this. The Conductor Help window is very comprehensive. Having said that I'm not sure if it will do exactly what you want. You want to be able to hit a hot key to invoke an instant drum solo, right? The Conductor works on preset song sections like section A, B, C, etc. They have to be entered into the chord grid as part of the song. Setting the sections is easy as explained in Help but you don't want the drums solo to play regularly as part of the song. You only want it by hitting the key.

I'm thinking the way to do this is to put the drum solo as the last 4 bars of the tune and name it as the last song section like section G or whatever. When the drum solo is over you hit the key to jump back to whatever section you were at. BUT, these sections must be preset. If your song is just playing along and you hit the section G drum solo key, fine that will work but you can't simply jump back to where you were unless you jumped right at the beginning of a section. Iow, if you made the initial jump 4 bars in the middle of section C when you jump back to C it will be the beginning of C not in the middle. The other problem with this is you have to remember to stop the song at the last bar before the drum solo at the end of the tune. Otherwise the drum solo will play as the final 4 bars.

I just had a thought about the ending. You can also create an ending and have it be it's own section like H or something. As you're playing the song and jumping around just make sure it doesn't go to H until you're ready for the ending then you hit the key for H and hit stop when it's over. You can give yourself some extra time by leaving a bar of silence as the last bar. This means H would be the final bars at the end of the tune, the drum solo would be in front of it. That way the main body of the tune can loop as much as you want by watching as it gets near the drum solo bars you hit the hot key to jump back to section A which is the top of the song.

Without having your song in front of me I can't get more specific but I think you can make this work, maybe not exactly what you want but close enough.

Have fun

The other BobC (my last name starts with C too)

Last edited by jazzmammal; 07/28/17 05:28 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
B
bobc Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
"Other Bob C"- thanks for taking the time and trouble to respond.

I looked at the Help documentation and you are right, it indeed is 'helpful'. But alas I saw no way to do what I want.

I will try your workarounds and see if something can work.

But since I have to do this for every song, I think perhaps I'll just forego the flexibility of being able to invoke a ride at any point and just program in fixed drum and bass breaks and be done with it. And maybe I'll add it to the Wish List and Peter will take pity on me some day...

All the best Bob, Bob#2...

B
bobc Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
B
I found another possible solution. The AnyTune app on iOS devices allows for setting markers anywhere in an MP3 . You can jump to any of them at will for any length of time with a midi pedal board or keyswitches on a midi keyboard. Very inexpensive solution, although I guessing Ableton Light can probably do it also..- Bob

M
M
Old thread I know, but I 2nd the use of Anytune Pro (iOS only for now unfortunately but plans for Android in the works). My experience is, Conductor works great with just midi tracks but is hit/miss when using RealTracks. The Anytune Pro app works very well with RealTracks as bobc indicated, so I use it when Conductor has issues. The beauty of Conductor is I can change the tune literally on the fly (keys, tempo, changes, styles, etc.) but it has some challenges with RealTracks. For live performance, certainty is everything, so I'm forced to use an alternative like Anytune Pro in those situations.

Veteran
Veteran
That's cool, I didn't know about that.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199