Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I agree. Warner Brothers makes 2 million dollars per year on "Happy Birthday To You" - the melody is in public domain ("Good Morning To You") and the people who wrote the words are long dead.

January 1st, 2017 will be a black Sunday for Warner Brothers. In most of the world this song will be in the Public Domain, unfortunately not in the U.S. until 2030.

Last edited by GHinCH; 12/30/14 05:21 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
Veteran
You still don't get it! If you purchase a legal fake book or sheet music, you can enter it into BIAB and practice at home to your heart's content. There won't be any copyright police knocking at your door. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Veteran
Veteran
Dude, you just did it again. I have never seen anything like this on this forum. I quoted exactly what you said yet you just now completely ignored it. What do you think these words mean?

Quote:
nobody has violated the forum rules by either POSTING links to sites that infringe copyright or requesting same.

Are you saying this wasn't you, you didn't write this, it was Casper the ghost or I just made it up or what?

And you're saying it's perfectly OK to blatantly post what is clearly against the forum rules as long as nobody in authority says anything about it? That's a great way to live your life in a civilized society. Just do anything you want and as long as the cops never catch you it's just fine. Great. Lovely way to live.

There's never enough time for cops or in this case forum admins to follow every single post on this large forum. Especially during the holidays. That's why they post the rules and we all agree to follow them using the honor system.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Considering that everybody plays these melodies from a book, I see no difference in using it in a software. In fact most jazz musicians are making money by playing melodies that do not belong to them. So which is worse, practicing to a software that has the melody within it, or playing a gig and making money with other peoples songs/melodies? I personally think melodies should be an integral part of BIAB. Most people originally purchased band in a box in order to practice over chord changes that were based on songs.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Dallon426
Considering that everybody plays these melodies from a book, I see no difference in using it in a software. In fact most jazz musicians are making money by playing melodies that do not belong to them. So which is worse, practicing to a software that has the melody within it, or playing a gig and making money with other peoples songs/melodies? I personally think melodies should be an integral part of BIAB. Most people originally purchased band in a box in order to practice over chord changes that were based on songs.

When musicians play in public, the venue (site that hires the musicians) is responsible for paying copyright royalties.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
Journeyman
And, you can get caught if you don't pay royalties. A friend was out in the middle of no where and he got caught.

As for the books, my feeling is that they are considered for instructional purposes. The intent is for you to learn and not make money off of whatever instruction book you purchased.

That being said there are a few sites that you can purchase music that you have the rights to play the music wherever you like. musicnotes is one. You pay about $5.00-$6.00 to purchase the song.

That being said, BIAB would be expensive if we paid for each song included in the software.

...Deb

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

When musicians play in public, the venue (site that hires the musicians) is responsible for paying copyright royalties.

Yes but we know this is not always the case. Think of how many restaurant gigs people have played and house gigs etc. Do you really think all those folks are paying royalties? So when people get really preachy about copyright issues (especially with 50+ year old melodies) I tend to scoff. Also, I know for a fact that restaurants can fly under the radar for a long time without being approached and forced into having a music license and then paying royalties.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Try being out in the woods and have the copyright/royalty police stop by! It does happen. Someone in the crowd must have said something.

Just because other people don't pay it doesn't make it right.

BTW, my church pays 2 different organizations for the right to play any music in the church. Of all places you would think the church was exempted. It isn't. But anyone coming in can play and will be covered.

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran

The difference is copyright law. The last time I inquired, the copyright holders wanted up to $2.00 per song with a minimum payment for thousands of songs in advance. Many declined to grant permission at any price. They own the copyright, and the law gives them the right to make or deny any deals.

I disagree with a few laws, but that doesn't give me the legal right to disobey them, and if I get caught breaking the law, my disagreement won't save me.

You can argue what you think is right forever, but it won't change things.

You could run for office and change the laws, but the odds of that are low even if you manage to get elected. Money talks, and the publishers have a lot of money.

So enter the chords, or buy a fake disk, open the book, and practice away. When you get to the club, they are probably paying ASCAP dues, if not, you are responsible to pay the songwriters and publishers yourself (although this rarely happens and rarely enforced).

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: DSM
Try being out in the woods and have the copyright/royalty police stop by! It does happen. Someone in the crowd must have said something.

Just because other people don't pay it doesn't make it right.

BTW, my church pays 2 different organizations for the right to play any music in the church. Of all places you would think the church was exempted. It isn't. But anyone coming in can play and will be covered.

...Deb

Well, Church should not be exempt of anything. It's a business. So IMO if every other venue/restaurant has to pay then a church should as well.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Though I do agree about churches and paying for their venue as any other venue should. I wonder who is collecting on 12-15 century songs? Sure isn't the people who wrote them.

Yes, some of our songs are pretty old.

...Deb

J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
Do restaurants pay performance rights organizations (PRO) for rights to use music? Yes, most do, and if not they are at risk, and the risk seems to be growing. I've been casually playing standards at restaurant gigs for the past 10 years and it's my observation that over the last few years the PRO's have significantly stepped up enforcement.

One club owner in my neighborhood had a place for about 5 years but had no previous club experience. He simply didn't know. PRO's came at him for such a significant amount for back payment that this was his "last straw" and he shut the place down (it's a grueling business). His lawyer (once he found once competent in this field) told him to negotiate and settle as PRO's are backed by federal law with many decades of case history. Lawyer said if it came to trial the first thing they would do would be move it to a federal court in NYC.

I mentioned this to a friend who plays singles in Austin and he said he's seeing this same sort of thing there.

It's been the law for decades and probably neglected by PRO's but looks to me like they are now focusing on restaurants and clubs trying to replace revenues no longer available at the album/CD point of sales. It's generally not a significant expense if addressed up front and I understand they will negotiate reasonably if a club wants to get into compliance, but make no mistake they can and they will come down hard if resisted.

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DSM
... I wonder who is collecting on 12-15 century songs? ...Deb
The songs themselves are long in public domain. One problem is if you are performing them from a published hymnal. That brings its own copyright issue unless you purchased copies for everyone. Arrangers can copyright a published modern arrangement of an old song.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
Journeyman
We have a fleet of hymnals. No photocopies.

...Deb

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,500
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195