You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#10646 - 12/24/08 02:03 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin
maiki Offline
Apprentice

I actually got this idea while writing to a different thread, at http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=208088, and mentioned it there, in my second post to the thread (post #208094). The suggestion seemed to get lost in the discussion there, so I think the idea merits its own thread.

Not sure if this is the right place for it, as it is not exactly a suggestion for an improvement in BIAB, but a suggestion for a new product--a BIAB plugin.

That other thread was about ways of working with BIAB together with a sequencer program, especially with these new aspects of RealDrums and RealTracks.

Of course, one good solution to that problem is to use RealBand as one's sequencer, which already has a lot of BIAB functionality built into it.

However, as I mentioned there, many people will prefer to continue to use the sequencer-DAW applications that they are already used to. The only way for these applications to interface with BIAB is to save files in BIAB, that one can import into the sequencer. (Formerly one saved MIDI files in BIAB for importation into the sequencer, but now, with RD and RT, it could well make sense to save those tracks to .wav as well.)

I am not a programmer, so I don't know if the following suggestion is practical, but I will throw it out there. Why not develop a VSTI-DXI-RTAS BIAB plugin, which could add some of the functionality of BIAB, including RealDrums and RealTracks, to any program that can use those plugins?

The plugin version could be bundled with the regular BIAB program, or sold separately (with discounts, of course, for BIAB users).

What are user's opinions of such a possibility? Any comments from PG, whether you think it is feasible, and a good idea?

(If you do end up creating and selling that new product, do I get a commission for suggesting it? )

#10647 - 12/24/08 03:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: maiki]
NoKey Offline
Apprentice

Loc: el paso tx
It's hard to visualize a plug in that requires 30 gigabytes of hard-disk space, in my of course limited view. But maybe, you have it already contemplated?

#10648 - 12/24/08 03:29 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: NoKey]
maiki Offline
Apprentice

I don't have anything contemplated--just suggesting a general idea.

Regarding how much disk space it takes up, would depend on, as when one installs the regular BIAB, how many of the RT and RD packages they wish to install.

And no, that is not uncommon. How many gigabytes do you think orchestral sample libraries take up? They also come in plugins--of the three types mentioned, and require installation of the huge sample libraries.

Of course there would have to be a major difference in pricing, depending on what the person already has. If a person already has the BIAB ultra-pak, with all the RD and RT paks, and just is adding the plugin itself, I would expect the price for just the plugin should be fairly inexpensive, or be included itself in the Ultra-pak.

Whereas, if someone is starting from scratch with the plugin, they would be buying much more than the plugin itself, but also RD and RT packages, etc., depending on what they want.

#10649 - 12/24/08 04:53 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: maiki]
dachilles Offline
Enthusiast

Biab with Re-wire ability would give us everything you need.

#10650 - 12/24/08 05:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: dachilles]
maiki Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

Sure, but it would be nice to also have VSTI and DXI as well, no? (DXI seems to be getting less common though, with some plugins just coming in VSTI and RTAS formats. DXI could be skipped, but it would be nice to have VSTI as well as RTAS.)

(I guess when these plugins started, it was important to have DXI, as some programs, notably Sonar, BIAB, and RT only included DXI support, not VSTI. Later Sonar added a VSTI "wrapper", to enable use of VSTIs as DXIs. Later they added native VSTI support, later added also by BIAB-RT. I cannot think of any current app that supports DXI, and not VSTI, although there are many the opposite way. Also, I think DXI is just Windows (I could be wrong though), and VSTI is cross-platform. So perhaps the need for the DXI plugin format is over, although I don't know if some apps possibly work better with DXI than VSTI?)

#469313 - 04/25/18 07:19 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: maiki]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: maiki
....a suggestion for a new product--a BIAB plugin.
.......Why not develop a VSTI-DXI-RTAS BIAB plugin, which could add some of the functionality of BIAB, including RealDrums and RealTracks, to any program that can use those plugins?....

Originally Posted By: dachilles

They sound like good ideas from 10 years ago.

#470151 - 04/29/18 12:48 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: maiki]
Islansoul Offline
Journeyman

Loc: St. Petersburg , FL
It's way better just drag the track in the DAW mode and then take the files and import them into your DAW. People forget that not every DAW supports VST or VSTi. Pro Tool only uses AAX as of Pro Tools 12
music producer/engineer

#470181 - 04/29/18 02:33 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: Islansoul]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

A "Plug-in" is a broad term for Biab VST/VSTi/AU/AAX 64/32.
How will you sync Biab tracks you want to add to that Live session that you recorded the other night to the same tempo map with just dragging from Biab ????

#472764 - 05/14/18 05:23 AM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: Pipeline]
nonchai Offline
Apprentice

Love this idea.

But better still would be for PG to sell to Yamaha and with Yamaha funding - and Steinberg helping with the coding - get the core BIAB engine incorporated into Cubase itself.

Plus Yamaha could add the MOTIF/HALION engines into BIAB - for ultimate MIDI sounds - and there could even me some synergy combining BIAB styles with Yamaha PA arranger styles!

But yes - i'd love to have a BIAB plugin in Ableton - my DAW of choice.

Would need Ableton to introduce a chord-track like Cubase has now to make full use of it.

Maybe whats needed is a back-end BIAB "Server" and have the plugin as a client so that commonly used styles can be buffered in RAM for fast access.... dunno.

Edited by nonchai (05/14/18 05:23 AM)

#473134 - 05/16/18 01:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: nonchai]
CoolBreeze Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: nonchai

But yes - i'd love to have a BIAB plugin in Ableton - my DAW of choice.

Would need Ableton to introduce a chord-track like Cubase has now to make full use of it.

Yeah, but Liquid Music for Max Live is more versatile than the chord track in Cubase. WaveDNA just updated LM for AL10. If anything in this case you should be adding Max for Live to the list of plugin support.
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/

#473138 - 05/16/18 02:00 PM [Band-in-a-Box Wishlist] Re: Suggestion for New Product--BIAB Plugin [Re: Islansoul]
CoolBreeze Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: Islansoul
It's way better just drag the track in the DAW mode and then take the files and import them into your DAW. People forget that not every DAW supports VST or VSTi. Pro Tool only uses AAX as of Pro Tools 12

You should be able to drop the track directly into your DAW. You may have to use the drop station first, but it does the trick.
p8z77-v pro
RAM: 32GB
Roland V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49

https://soundcloud.com/dirtbom/

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Video - Using the StylePicker in Band-in-a-Box®

We've just updated our StylePicker video tutorial - see the latest version here.
This video uses Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, however all of the functions are applicable to the Mac version.

New! Xtra Styles PAK 5 - All Xtra Styles are On Sale Until August 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 includes over 160 fully-mixed styles in 4 volumes: Rock-Pop 5, Jazz 5, Country 5, and MIDI 1. Learn more about these new RealStyles with our latest video: click here to view

During our Xtra Styles PAK special, we're offering some GREAT sale pricing on ALL of our Xtra Styles PAKs!

$29 each: Xtra Styles PAK Volumes 1-5 (reg. $49) or for a limited time purchase ALL 5 for only $99!

$49: purchase the Xtra StylesPAK + Unreleased RealTracks bundle (reg. $79). The "Unreleased RealTracks" refer to the 40 Bonus RealTracks included in the 2018 49-PAK - a great purchase option if you did not add the 49-PAK to your UltraPAK or Audiophile Upgrade during our Version 2018 release special.

$119: Xtra Styles PAKs 1-5 + Unreleased RealTracks - limited time offer

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAK 5, listen to demos, or purchase today:
Xtra Styles PAKs for Windows
Xtra Styles PAKs for Mac

Video - Using the Chord Builder in Band-in-a-Box®

Earlier we announced a new video, Entering Chords in Band-in-a-Box®, which explains the different chord types, how to add 4 chords per bar, using pushes, and more. We're building on this topic with our latest video, Using the Chord Builder in Band-in-a-Box®. The Chord Builder is build right into Band-in-a-Box®, and is a great way to audition different chords!

Windows video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=IVSLOqwnM6Q
Mac video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=xuznalddE2Q

Forum Stats
27824 Members
51 Forums
52961 Topics
439506 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
sogoliii, Musicmanicny, LionelNeufTrois, npco, Josh Roehl

27823 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)