User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

Here’s my second attempt at using BIAB. Mostly, this started as an experiment for me in playing with and recording vocals and harmonies. I’ve really only tried recording harmonies on one song before. This one seemed ripe for some vocal layers, and so here's where I've gone with it.

In terms of real tracks, here’s what I used. Apologies if my labeling is not exact—still kind of new to this and I began working on this before I posted my first song. I’ll try to do a better job going forward.

—Real 431 Guitar, Strumming Bluegrass (Rhythm Guitar)
—Real 518 Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes
—RealDrums PraiseWorshipSlow16ths
—Real 686 Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120

The rest, including the not so great lead guitar and riffs throughout is me--hopefully it's enough to be additive and give a feel for what I'd like this one to sound like.

There are two things I need to figure out and learn in the immediate future:

(1) I find once I import from BIAB into my workstation (GarageBand, for now), then add vocals and my own guitar work, that I can’t add any more tracks from BIAB and sync the tempo of the new track with the existing tracks. For example, I would have like to have played around with my Bass choice, but anything I tried to add was way out of whack. Not sure what I’m doing there, but I’d love to be able to experiment adding more depth to sound after I add on my own tracks.

(2) I’m sure there must be a way to change the volume levels on different parts of a single track—e.g., where you want a back up guitar track to sound louder in some spots than others. Need to figure that out as well, as it would especially help when doing a song like this one.

So any advice on the above, and generally on the song, that can help further my education will be, as always, incredibly appreciated.

Hope you like the tune. smile

The best to you all,

Deej

Sweet Lorelei

There’s that rise,
just past the mill,
meet me at midnight—
seems like years since
I held you in my arms.
We could kiss under the moonlight,
beneath a thousand million stars.

Don’t leave me forsaken,
(just like you’ve done before).
Can’t you hear my heart aching
(it makes me want you more).
Don’t you know I’ll be right here waiting.

My sweet Lorelei
(don’t you want to go).
Sweet Lorelei
(he won’t ever know).
Between you and I,
if we could run away,
I just know that you would say, “Okay”.

All this time
seems like we’re wasting
all of our good years.
Lord, how the days of fancy fly.
Go grab your things
and let’s get out of here.
We won’t even say goodbye.

Don’t worry me minding
(if you can get away).
We’ll write it off to bad timing
(and plan another day).
Just say the word and
you know I’m all in.

My sweet Lorelei
(don’t you want to go).
Sweet Lorelei
(he won’t ever know).
Between you and I,
if we could run away,
I’m sure that you would say, “Okay”.

Don’t leave me forsaken,
(just like you’ve before).
Don’t leave my heart aching
(and bleeding on the floor).
Don’t you know that
I’m still here waiting.

My sweet Lorelei
(don’t you want to go).
Sweet Lorelei
(he won’t ever know).
Between you and I,
if we could run away,
I wonder if you’d say, “Okay”.

(c)2018 DJ Lekich

Deej56 #473317 05/17/18 10:42 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi DeeJ

Had to listen to this one because I love the name "Lorelei". I think it comes from watching too much Gilmore Girls.

The song certainly did not disappoint. Reminds me a little of Joshua Kadison.

Good job!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Deej56 #473358 05/18/18 04:35 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I really enjoyed this one, DJ smile I have no shame - this title also made me instantly think of Gilmore Girls. I love how sincere and calming this is. The passion here is very apparent, and I love the vocal delivery too.

Very well done - you should be proud! Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Deej56 #473359 05/18/18 04:44 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent tune well developed!!

Deej56 #473409 05/18/18 07:12 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Love this!! A little Dylan, a little Jagger, a great song! Don't know the Gilmore Girls. GREAT job with this!! Take care. Greg

Deej56 #473413 05/18/18 07:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Catchy and sung with feeling. Its a well written song and your production is impressive for early in your BiaB journey.
Background vocals work well.
You`d probably get more detailed answers to your tech. questions by posting them in the Recording forum.
Look forward to hearing more of your songs.

Robert

Deej56 #473437 05/18/18 10:34 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deej56
I find once I import from BIAB into my workstation (GarageBand, for now), then add vocals and my own guitar work, that I can’t add any more tracks from BIAB and sync the tempo of the new track with the existing tracks. For example, I would have like to have played around with my Bass choice, but anything I tried to add was way out of whack.

What happens when you try to import the tracks? Are they mis-aligned, or is the duration off?

I believe that the .wav files that are output are ACIDized, so perhaps there's something happening there. Did you set the project's master tempo in GarageBand before importing the tracks in from BiaB? That might cause GarageBand to stretch them to a different duration - although why that that didn't happen to your initial set of tracks is a bit of a mystery. If you describe the issue (perhaps on the Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production forum) in a bit more detail, I'm sure someone will recognize the problem.

Quote:
I’m sure there must be a way to change the volume levels on different parts of a single track—e.g., where you want a back up guitar track to sound louder in some spots than others.

Yes, you can change volume and other parameters dynamically in GarageBand. Have a look at track automation curves.

Quote:
So any advice on the above, and generally on the song, that can help further my education will be, as always, incredibly appreciated.

There are dueling guitar solos at 2:20. I'd suggest keeping it down to one at a time, so there's nothing competing for attention. That, and stopping the song at 3:30 - you've basically got a one minute fade on the song! smile

Quote:
Hope you like the tune. smile

Yep, I enjoyed it all right. Thanks for posting!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Deej56 #473488 05/18/18 02:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the seasoned vocals. Good write and well worth the listen.Nicely done.Rob

Deej56 #473608 05/19/18 03:37 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Joanne and Deryk,

Thanks much for stopping in and giving this a listen. I actually have never watched a single episode of the Gilmore Girls (should I?). Initially, this was “Sweet Caroline” at the very first, which for obvious reasons had to change. When I was just a boy I took a cruise down the Rhine in Germany and still remember hearing then about the Legend of Lorelei. And so I went with it here.

Glad you both enjoyed the tune.

All the best,

Deej

Deej56 #473609 05/19/18 03:38 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
cliftond, Greg and Robertkc,

Appreciate the listen and the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed the song.

And, Robert, thanks for the referral to the Recording Forum—I’ll check that out.

Kindest regards,

Deej

dcuny #473610 05/19/18 03:40 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
David,

Thanks for taking the time to provide all that feedback—it’s very helpful. I’m not sure what I did on tempo—I think I probably changed the tempo in GarageBand such that I couldn’t go back and add more BIAB tracks in. I’ll have to be more careful going forward. I’ll look for the track automation curves; thanks for the linked reference—that was very thoughtful of you.

Good point on the dueling guitars. I had hoped they would compliment each other, but if I keep them here’s where I need to dial one down so the other is far more prominent, or just lost one. I’ll play with both approaches and see which works best.

As for length, I was waiting to see if someone would comment on that. In part, it’s intentional for two reasons. One, I want the contrasting vocals to play a bit; and two, I wanted to convey the sense that he’s “still waiting” musically. But, I agree it’s too much. I’m inclined to fade out around the 4:00 mark and cut at least 20-30 seconds off the current version.

Again, great input. Very much appreciated.

All the best,

Deej

Rob4580 #473611 05/19/18 03:41 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Rob,

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate your stopping in and giving this one a listen.

Kind regards,

Deej

Deej56 #473678 05/20/18 07:12 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We used GB for a year with BiaB before switching to Logic Pro. Whatever tempo you set in BiaB to generate the tracks should be what they retain when drug or imported into GB. I would not try to modify the tempo in GB unless you really know your way around it. It's easy in GB and LPX to accidentally nudge a track or worse to accidentally stretch or shorten it when attempting to do something else. To change the volume you use "automation lanes" where you can raise or lower the gain on a track anywhere you desire and shape the gain to come in gently and leave the same way.

Here's a screen shot of one of our projects showing extensive use of the volume automation lane: https://www.janiceandbud.com/uploads/4/4/3/1/44312/al_orig.jpg

Regarding the tune Robert well captured our feelings:

"Catchy and sung with feeling. Its a well written song and your production is impressive for early in your BiaB journey.
Background vocals work well. You`d probably get more detailed answers to your tech. questions by posting them in the Recording forum.
Look forward to hearing more of your songs."

Best to you on the BiaB/DAW journey. You will reap rewards from the initial frustrations, etc.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

Deej56 #473918 05/22/18 10:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow!!

Another hit.

I love your songwriting man, and your vocals are awesome.

I am not sure about the second vocal track. I think the main one is enough to carry it.

But this is a great song.

Your vocals should take you far. You are blessed with some good pipes.

Deej56 #473947 05/22/18 12:56 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Loved this tune. Super vocal and lyric. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Thanks, Janice & Bud:

I've already begun thinking about upgrading to Logic Pro. My hesitation is that I'm just now getting into GB, so would I be upgrading to early? To my issue, I read that Logic Pro has an auto-sync feature that puts all tracks on the same tempo--not sure if that's true.

Regardless, thanks for the link to the volume automation. Knowing this would have helped a lot on this song production wise.

It's all baby steps and patience. Thanks for yours.

All the best,

Deej

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
David,

Appreciate the listen and the support. This really was an experiment for me in laying down some different vocals, so your feedback is really helpful. And you're right that the vocals are excessive under the lead. I'm a little worn down playing with the mix on this one, but when I revisit it (and I will) I'm going to strip out the harmonies from the lead vocal in the first two or three verses, and try to let it build more.

Learning how to control the volumes on a single track will help me a lot; and I've already gotten some great advice from others above on that point.

Again, stoked you liked this one. Thanks for the kind comments.

All the best,

Deej

Scott C #474018 05/22/18 05:49 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Scott,

Thanks for stopping in and giving this one I spin. Glad the vocal and lyric worked for you.

All the best,

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,635
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MusicianMD, Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke
38,444 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191