Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#474606 05/26/18 08:07 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm thinking about doing a rent to own deal for Ozone 8 through Splice. They have both standard and advanced versions available as well as packages that include both Ozone and Neutron. I have 2 questions for anyone who works with these products.

1. Is there a huge difference between standard and advanced verions of ozone and what they can do?

2. Is it better to use both Ozone and Neutron together or should I just get Ozone for now?

A few thought for you to consider while giving your advice... I will be using the program in Cubase Elements 9 which does not have side chain capabilities. Also I am fairly happy with my mixes but want to improve my final sound in the "mastering" phase to get radio and tv quality recordings for licensing and online downloads.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
Ozone advanced allows you to use any of it's modules as stand alone plug-ins. Not a huge deal. But the inclusion of the Tonal Balance is, at least for me, a BIG deal.

Ozone is primarily a mastering tool while Neutron is oriented around individual tracks. There are other differences mostly involving the interplay of the two packages via the advanced versions.

This page will show you the differences in the various Ozone versions and you can also find an equivalent page there for Neutron.

https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone/features-and-comparison.html

Bud

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Janice and Bud for the info. Looking at the link I see that the standard version says "available as module" and advanced says "available as pluggin. What Is the difference between a module and a plugin? Do they work the same?

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
I think you were noting some of Ozone's modules being different in the two versions...not Ozone itself. In the advanced version each module can be used as a module within Ozone or as a stand alone plugin by itself on a single track. This is only a memory saving convenience. If you have the horsepower you can load Ozone 8 on any individual track and select only the module you want. I rarely use modules as track plugin's because I process most of my tracks with Neutron 2, Nectar 2, several of Waves products and some of my DAW's (Logic Pro X) zillions of effects.

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Samuel,

I have the advanced version of Ozone 8. I really like it. Prior to this, I used the standard versions of Ozone 4, 5 and 7. In every case I used Ozone as a plugin in Reaper. As each version has come along, it's become increasingly easier to get better and better sounds.

How I use it is as a plugin the Master track (my only plugin in that track in fact).

Firstly, I prepare my song without Ozone being active. Then, when the song is as good as I can get it, I activate Ozone so that all the output I hear goes through the plugin. I guess this is Ozone in the mastering position. I then play around with presets, find one I like and then sometimes, though not that often, tweak it a bit.

I know nothing about Neutron but I certainly wouldn't be without Ozone.

Like so much software, once you get over the financial hurdle of buying the first product, special offer upgrades come along from time to time that make upgrading easy on the pocket.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Sam

I use Ozone 5, Neutron and also Nectar from Izotope on every mix.

Nectar is for vocals and I usually use the “solo performance” preset but occasionally use other presets (depending on the song).

I use Neutron on individual instrument tracks, bass, drums, guitar and piano. I sometimes use ozone 5 on individual tracks if there is something specific I want to achieve (such as reducing slaps and clicks on acoustic guitar)

I use Ozone 5 for mastering, usually the country basic preset but occasionally the gentle tube preset.

I haven’t upgraded ozone because I haven’t seen a need but obviously if I was purchasing for the first time I would buy all the latest plugins.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 05/26/18 07:39 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
Originally Posted By: Samuel Davis

1. Is there a huge difference between standard and advanced verions of ozone and what they can do?

2. Is it better to use both Ozone and Neutron together or should I just get Ozone for now?

Like Bud said Ozone is used most for the mastering where Neutron is used mostly at the track level. The advanced versions include the Tonal Balance Control plugin and can communicate with all the EQ plugins from Ozone and Neutron directly. This allows the Tonal Balance plugin to adjust any EQ settings on any track that has an instance of a Neutron or Ozone EQ on it. Quite slick actually.

Also as mentioned the advanced versions allow the individual plugins to be put on a track instead of the whole Neutron or Ozone which is quite a load on the CPU if you use these on every track and have lots of tracks.

The Track assistant in Neutron and Mastering assistant In Ozone are really good at analysis and can either suggest of automatically set all of the parameters of the module's.

Each program has there own use and I have no regrets buying both of them.

I suggest watching the videos on their website and see if this is something you may or not need.

Brian

BIAB 2024 Ultrapack- Studio One Pro 6.5 Windows 10

H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Samuel,
I have Ozone 8 and N2 and I love them I have to say.
The plugins that are great for me are the Visual Mixer as it leaves all the panning in front of you like a movable picture and the Tonal Balance which compares ur song with the industry norm and you can see where it may not be balanced and then work to correct the imbalance.Also if I am not sure a track needs nuetron I can use a Mix Tap on the track which allows all the communication between plugins still to go on.
So if you can afford it the advanced is very good.

No problem using both together,they are made for each other.The question I have is when using OZONE on the Master buss should I leave it on before going to Mastering stage or take it off.The delimma is that if I leave it on its like double mastering to a certain degree.I would love if Izotope did a specific video dealing with Ozone on the Masterbuss ,pros and cons etc .For me I think you can really go a long long way with BIAB,Izotope and a good vocalist H

H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Samuel again,
Also the Insight plugin is very good for measuring Luffs and various TV and Internet norms for loudnes ,it looks like it has them all H

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for all the great info everybody.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Veteran
Veteran
Hugh, I use O8 in the stand alone mode. Why? It eliminates the temptation to “test master” the song during mixing. And that could negatively affect the mix.

Mastering can’t make a bad mix sound good but it surely can make a good mix shine.

Bud

Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
So I broke down and got Ozone 8 and Neutron 2 Advanced. I've only been messing around with Ozone on the mastering chain of a couple songs so far and all I can say is...

DAMN THAT SOUNDS GOOD!

Wow! I'm so glad I bit the bullet. I and tell already that this is going to take my recordings to a new level of quality. Can't wait to share some songs here soon. Thanks for all of the advice y'all.

Samuel Davis Jr
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great news Samuel, Yeah I have been looking at this option also, waiting to hear the results.

Veteran
Veteran
I find that often the O8 “light cleanup” preset with a few tweaks to the maximizer is all I need.

Also the Neutron 2 masking feature is a great way to get the kick drum and bass guitar to not compete. And to get other rhythm tracks to not step on one another. This will give you a mud free clean mix that requires little mastering intervention.

FWIW

Bud

Veteran
Veteran
Well, I have Ozone 3 & 4. I have auditioned some of their other offerings... Free 30 day trials etc.... and really, after that, I decided spending the money to buy the other products was not really necessary. I can get good results for instruments and vocals with that one product.

For the most part, you can accomplish your stated goals, producing a polished mix for Broadcast Quality recordings with the default plug ins in your DAW. However, using Ozone makes it a bit easier because they have some nice presets ready to go. Just tweeze them a bit and you're all set.

As for me, I tend to use the same presets in Ozone. I have created a few tweezed presets and saved them for male vox, female vox, acoustic guitar, drums/bass, and master mix. It's rare that they get used from their default preset even though I tweeked them.... each song is slightly different but the presets get me there quicker.

I'd recommend buying the latest version of Ozone and use it to see how it does before you consider buying the other products. Learn Ozone first.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Also the Neutron 2 masking feature is a great way to get the kick drum and bass guitar to not compete.

Bud

Yes, I've got quite a bit of mileage using that particular feature!

If you are using BIAB drums and bass as delivered from PGMusic this is typically not an issue, but once you start adding additional processing to those tracks you can run into collisions. Also if you are using something other than RealDrums (i.e. EZDrummer2). I've also used it to eliminate/reduce collisions between bass and B3 on occasion.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 05/28/18 05:27 AM. Reason: typo
H
Journeyman
Journeyman
H
Hi Bud,
Should I not use Ozone on the master buss or just use it on the individual busses ?In one way I cant see the point in putting it on the masterbuss unless I am just using it to AB it to see how it may sound mastered .I like ozone in stand alone mode too ...Thanks Hugh

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Hugh,

It's intended for mastering, so would generally either be put on the master bus.

Alternately, you could render your song as a WAV file after mixing, open a new project, and import that WAV file onto track 1, where you also put Ozone as an insert, and import some reference songs on tracks 2, 3, 4, etc, so you can compare your master to the references tracks. I don't use Ozone, but the latter is what I do when mastering my own songs (using different plugins).

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Veteran
Veteran
I use it the way Kent describes, i.e., as a stand alone. As I mentioned it reduces the temptation to check out a master while mixing and it makes referencing very easy.

Veteran
Veteran

Further to both Kent and Bud, IK Multimedia has something called MasterMatch. You can load in a song reference and it will ask you, basically,

"So you want your song to sound like this?"

You click yes and your songs sounds like that, with a few tweaks.

Kinda neat.

I understand the latest Ozone has something like it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,615
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192