Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
I was curious what the forum thought about Adam Lambert's tours with Queen? I thought it might lead to some interesting conversations. Obviously nobody can replace Freddie, but wondering what everyone thought about this particular topic. grin

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This guy is Freddie reincarnated, IMO. Outstanding !!!

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It's a match made in heaven. Adam is flat out fabulous with Queen! I don't they could have found a better singer or a better fit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Far better than Journey with the guy THEY use now..... Lambert is very good. Got to give him his props.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax

Trax

I will have to give this video a watch later! It's one of those things where you either have to make Queen songs your own which is incredibly hard to do, or you have to and replicate them. I would be very curious to see how the gentleman you linked holds up. grin

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Sundance
It's a match made in heaven. Adam is flat out fabulous with Queen! I don't they could have found a better singer or a better fit.
He's flamboyant in all the right ways, and in a lot of ways has the same over-the-top yet understated allure that Freddie did that you can't quite place. I got the chance to see Adam Lambert and Queen in Vancouver for my birthday a few years ago, and it was such an fantastic show. They did a montage and memorial piece for Freddie where it was a bunch of clips of Freddie singing one of his songs, and Lambert just bowed out for the entire song and just watched the footage and gave Freddie his time to be there, even though he wasn't really there. It felt really respectful, and the crowd went crazy for it.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Far better than Journey with the guy THEY use now..... Lambert is very good. Got to give him his props.

I actually don't think I've seen who is touring with Journey. I'll have to look in to it later.

The thing I like about Lambert is that he has a really great range that can easily match Freddie's, but he also can easily fit in to a more rock genre despite being a more of a pop/electronic pop singer. I like that he can adapt, but also that he's not trying to be Freddie directly.

They certainly have a nice balance together.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax

Trax

Personally, I prefer his earlier video. He still does a great job at imitation at any rate.

As far as Adam, I love that he obviously loves Freddie; but still is himself. To me, it seems like he was a logical choice...maybe a little too logical. There is a small part of me that wonders if that was all a set up...I mean his audition was a Queen song; and he ends up be the lead singer of the band. Could be extremely clever marketing. Or, perfect timing. All good either way by me.

As far as Arnel, I think he does a GREAT job and has a fantastic attitude. He's not Steve Perry and can't sing everything the way Steve did...but...I kind of think Steve can't anymore either. I love both of those singers.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Makes it a damn good tribute band.

To me it would be like hiring someone to replace John Lennon and George Harrison, playing the songs as they were recorded, and still calling it "The Beatles".

Or taking 3 of the original members of "The Dave Brubeck Quartet" and hiring a new pianist who can play like Brubeck and still calling it "The Dave Brubeck Quartet".

I might still like the new groups, but to me they wouldn't be the same.

I know the group "Jay And The Americans" had 3 different Jay's, the second one's real name was David. I like the first two editions for different reasons and haven't heard the latest one.

I think Adam does a great job and I don't want to diminish his talent or effort.

I wish them all the luck in the world (though I doubt that they will need luck).

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think he is a great fit for that band.

They tried before using Paul Rodgers (singer from "Bad Company" and "Free") which had some nice moments, I actually have a DVD from one of those concerts.

But Adam is a much more natural fit, it is more like "Queen" instead of "Queen with Paul Rodgers".

Are they doing any new material, or just playing the old hits?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I think Adam is a super singer and remember thinking Freddie Mercury the first time I heard him sing. I guess the difference would be whether they just sing the old songs, or do new material as to whether they are considered a tribute band. Otherwise, you could also make the argument that Chicago has just been a tribute band since 1978, when Terry Kath passed away.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I too find he is a good fit for the band. You obviously can't replace Freddie, but Adam Lambert does put his own spin on it that pays homage well to the original.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would be most interested to hear new material where Adam does himself instead of Freddie.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I would be most interested to hear new material where Adam does himself instead of Freddie.

I was going to ask that. Are they actually writing songs or are they just a Queen oldies band?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
(cue "Twilight Zone" music)...

So I had to post to this thread. You're won't believe this, but my wife is TODAY wearing a black tee-shirt that says, "Queen + Adam Lambert -- 2014 North American Tour"!

We saw them in Dallas. Fantastic. I couldn't imagine them with anyone else ("Freddie's Dead"--Curtis Mayfield), but that Martel guy posted here above is fantastic.

Lambert, in addition to the voice, commands the stage. It just felt like this was Queen. (Never saw all the original guys.)

BTW, IMO Queen was much more than Freddie, as great as Freddie was. Incredible guitar work!

Great, great concert! We drove a couple hundred miles and spent the night to see them. Totally worth it, and my wife was the one that was all hot to go see them.

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

I was going to ask that. Are they actually writing songs or are they just a Queen oldies band?

Adam Lambert does have his own solo stuff, but as for Queen - no, they strictly do older Queen material.

Adam Lambert's solo stuff isn't my cup of tea, but he's definitely a talented fellow.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I think he is a great fit for that band.

They tried before using Paul Rodgers (singer from "Bad Company" and "Free") which had some nice moments, I actually have a DVD from one of those concerts.

But Adam is a much more natural fit, it is more like "Queen" instead of "Queen with Paul Rodgers".

Are they doing any new material, or just playing the old hits?

I don't think they're doing any new material, at least not that I know of. When I saw them it was all the hits you'd come to expect from Queen, just with Adam singing. That being said, it was a few years ago and I have no idea if they're making new music together. I'll have to look in to that, methinks!

Edit: Oh, looks like Deryk already beat me to the confirmation. grin

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 06/03/18 09:41 AM.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
OP Offline
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Le Miz

Lambert, in addition to the voice, commands the stage. It just felt like this was Queen. (Never saw all the original guys.)

BTW, IMO Queen was much more than Freddie, as great as Freddie was. Incredible guitar work!

This is true, and I think something that not everyone thinks about -- myself included. We tend to think of Freddie when we think of Queen, and less so of all the other people who made Queen what they were and what they still are today. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
This is true, and I think something that not everyone thinks about -- myself included. We tend to think of Freddie when we think of Queen, and less so of all the other people who made Queen what they were and what they still are today. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Actually, while Freddie really was the "voice" of Queen, I generally give equal billing to Brian May for creating the Queen sound. If you look at the first seven albums, you will see them clearly labeled "no synths", because all that neat sound was done by Brian on guitars and other real instruments. Sure, there were effects, but they weren't synthesizers. ("The Game" broke the rules and they then became a synth band.)

I actually started listening to Queen with their first album, and fell in love with that new sound. The whole first side is excellent (IMHO), but definitely not everyone's cup of tea. "Queen II" was very thematic, but didn't have any hits on it, and it is still one of my favorites to listen to beginning to end.

I did start losing interest after "The Works" came out. Radio Ga-Ga just didn't do much for me.

But I do listen to their first 7 or 8 albums on a fairly regular basis.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195