Go To
Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
The title says it all....looking for some inspiration and wisdom...'made it' is intentionally vague ; )

Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Lecil Travis Martin (Boxcar Willie) born 1931 and had his first record to chart in 1981 when he was 50. He did not begin his professional career until the age of 45 according to Wikipedia. He served in the Air Force from 1949 until retirement in 1976. He won the Gong Show in 1976 to launch his professional career.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 05/26/18 12:58 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I don't really know though I would say, it probably was more down to the era than the age.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Susan Boyle started her career at the age of 47.

Check her first preformance here

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
50 years old is pushing it, but for musicians who rose to prominence relatively late I can name a small handful.

I don't expect people in this forum to know who he is, but James Murphy (known for his electronic dance rock project, LCD Soundsystem) didn't release his debut album until he was 35. He didn't blow up with his music career until a year later when it got worldwide attention. In the electronic music world, that is quite late.

Although he composed the immortal jazz standard "'Round Midnight" before turning 30 and was a well-respected sideman, Thelonious Monk didn't make much of an impact as a top-billed artist with mainstream audiences until his album Brilliant Corners in 1957, which was released when he was 40. We all know how that went down following.

Another one that comes to mind is Andrea Bocelli, who didn't get his big break until 1992, when he was in his early 40's.

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mississippi John Hurt was “rediscovered” at around 70. He was found by some musicologists while working as a share cropper. He went on to have a very successful folk career in the early 60’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_John_Hurt

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had a brief exposure to guitar with a couple lessons in grammar school (age 12). After that, Music went dormant in me until I wondered into a music store at age 40, rented an acoustic guitar and signed up for lessons. That was 25 years ago and since that time, the flame has kindled, simmered, burned hot and flickered at bit at times, but never gone out.

So, since you have defined 'made it' as intentionally vague, while you have likely never heard of me, I do put myself on the list. grin

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Mississippi John Hurt was “rediscovered” at around 70. He was found by some musicologists while working as a share cropper. He went on to have a very successful folk career in the early 60’s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_John_Hurt

Excellent example, B&J!

I've heard Chet Atkins and Doc Watson both credit John Hurt for his influences on their guitar styles. Unfortunately, the recording quality of John's surviving music is quite poor but well worth a YouTube search.

It seems to me that many of Mississippi John's surviving tunes were live recordings in friends' homes. They certainly have a 'homebrew' flavor that I love.

This is a good sampler of John's music. I refer to John as "The Father Of Delta Blues".

https://youtu.be/tvJrkQf-w-c

BTW, John wrote, "Palette On The Floor" which has been covered by many popular artists including our very own Joanne Wilson-Cooper. Doc Watson and many guitarists play John's "Spike Driver Blues".

Here's Doc's version:

https://youtu.be/GLdhZ7bzbIg

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 05/28/18 06:43 AM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
What does ‘made it’ mean? Get famous? Have a life changing delta in income?

Every time I get goosebumps at my hobby I think I’ve made it. I’m over 50. Bought EZ Drummer in the past year, and it has provided many of those experiences in ‘playing’ exactly what I would want from a real drummer. I get to have drums on my songs like I used to have in a band way way back when. Feels like making it to me.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I like that definition of "makin it" after 50.

[list]Mississippi John Hurt
Music_Student
Rockstar_not[*]

By the way, EZDrummer 1 is pretty old. I assume you are referring to EZDrummer 2?

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have missed the canoe headed for fame and celebrity. Apparently close doesn't count except in horseshoes and hand grenades. I am enjoying my freedom to explore my journey with the time I have left. I content myself in thinking that I could never be happy in that world.

That's my story and I am sticking with it!

Much like my chances of winning the lottery - my odds are roughly the same whether I buy a ticket or not, so I'll just pass.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent

By the way, EZDrummer 1 is pretty old. I assume you are referring to EZDrummer 2?

Yes, sorry - EZ Drummer 2. Wish I hadn't waited so long! I tried Jamstix for years, but EZ Drummer works way better IMO.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Yes, sorry - EZ Drummer 2. Wish I hadn't waited so long! I tried Jamstix for years, but EZ Drummer works way better IMO.

I'm a big JS fan, but you are absolutely right about EZD2. But I am sure I shared that with the forum years ago, where were you? grin

Been several years since a "...this changes everything" music app can along. EZD2 was one of those apps.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Define "Make it" in the music biz.

Generally, if you haven't "made it" by 25...... you aren't going to "make it" as a lucrative main career.

I know tons of old guys still gigging the clubs and events.... but playing the local clubs isn't "making it" in my definition. Of course, they love it and do it for that reason so it's all good.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What is the definition of "make it" in this particular case? Are we talking about making millions of dollars, or just having a following and fans that generally enjoy your music?

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In response to an interviewer calling him an 'overnight success,' Willie Nelson retorted: "It only took me fifty years to become an overnight success!"

I have to admire Willie's attitude; he appeared on Oprah in his bathrobe and pink fuzzy slippers.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Doc Watson, the blind guitarist, was famous on the Bluegrass circuit for many years but didn't 'make it' until the Folk revival of the 60s with Pete Seger, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, PP&M, etc.

Off-Topic
J
Joe V Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
J
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music
What is the definition of "make it" in this particular case? Are we talking about making millions of dollars, or just having a following and fans that generally enjoy your music?

I intentionally worded the question so that each person could - effectively, share whether they're happy where they are now, or still a bit frustrated by their current musical "career and/or hobby" stature ; )

Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Joe V
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

I intentionally worded the question so that each person could - effectively, share whether they're happy where they are now, or still a bit frustrated by their current musical "career and/or hobby" stature ; )

That's fair! I was mostly just curious what context we were working within. I don't know anybody personally, but I've heard of a guy who used to work at PG Music who had someone pretty big play a remix of one of their songs, and that this person is doing pretty well with their music, but they were not over 50. I'm not sure who it is or what genre they play, but it's cool to hear that people are getting well-deserved attention for their stuff. grin But, yah. I don't know anybody personally. My circle is mostly authors trying to get agents and books signed with publishing houses. Same idea, but just a different creative medium. Both require a lot of hard work and dedication to the craft, that is for sure!

Last edited by Ember - PG Music; 05/30/18 09:03 AM.

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199