Go To
Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hi everyone! I have about 6 months experience with BIAB. I have gotten on pretty well but a little confused. I am a self taught musician with not a whole lot of theory under my belt, so please forgive me if my terminology is not exactly correct.

I have done many covers with very good results. Currently I'm trying to cover The Bee Gees Alive (no not Staying Alive hehehe). Here is the YouTube link https://youtu.be/L8gQC4BIvnU

I'm using all real tracks and real drums. I have the first part of the song, verses, down well. But it sounds to me (could be wrong) that on the chorus they go from playing 8ths to playing 16ths? I brought the song into Melodyne and it doesn't detect any change in tempo so 16ths is all I can think of.

Being adventurous I took my BIAB song in RealBand, my first time using it. I added a 16ths drum and piano track. But unfortunately although they say they are playing the same tempo both are off beat? Again my theory is limited so maybe this is to be expected?

So if anyone would like to give a listen and tell me where I'm going wrong......it would be greatly appreciated! I tried to cover everything I can think of but if anyone needs more information, I'll provide what I can.

Thanks in advance.

Humbled
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
Windows 10 pro 1709 16299.125
Intel core i7 6700k CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.01 GHz
16 gig memory
BIAB UltraPak version is 2023 (Latest)
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Mike,

Have you tried using the Band's Audio Chord Wizard ?

I;m sure the Window's Bander's gurus will have more information and help .

Mac Audiophile 2020 2019 2018 2017 USB plus previous years versions

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
I created an SGU file that includes the chords and is tempo mapped to the version of "Alive" you posted with the Audio Chord Wizard. I did not adjust any chords or choose a style to match the song.

I will leave the DropBox link active through 5/24/18.

Alive SGU File and Tempo Mapped Audio File

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I created an SGU file that includes the chords and is tempo mapped to the version of "Alive" you posted with the Audio Chord Wizard. I did not adjust any chords or choose a style to match the song.

I will leave the DropBox link active through 5/24/18.

Alive SGU File and Tempo Mapped Audio File

Wow thank you very much Charlie!!!!!! I really didn't expect anything like this. Way over and above.

I'm really going to have to practice more with the ACW! I've used it a couple times with very limited success. Obviously I'm missing something? Probably patience and a full understanding of it hehe.

So a couple side questions.
I couldn't get any sound from my imported melody midi. In the melody track you were using something to do with sforzando? I could not figure any way to get rid of it and just make it a midi track. Any ideas?

Also on the first attempt I used a style called _Heart. Just to get my basic instruments. I have never seen a style play so out of tune???? It was dreadful. Is this a bug? When I opened yours BIAB recommended _DRVCBAL, which I used then replaced or added piano, cello and strings. Even that had some of those 3 instruments out of tune in parts but nothing like the first style?

Anyway thank you so much for taking the time to make this! Shows me I still have a lot to learn.

Grateful
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
mbsmike,

Quote:
Also on the first attempt I used a style called _Heart. Just to get my basic instruments. I have never seen a style play so out of tune???? It was dreadful. Is this a bug?

just out of curiosity here i tried that style _Heart and it sounds just fine

i even loaded the demo and the instruments ( bass, piano ,drums ) sound good individually or all at the same time

not sure what could be going wrong at your end

perhaps try loading that style again

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
screenVIEW 2018-05-19 at 8.03.04 PM.png (40.75 KB, 122 downloads)
screenVIEW 2018-05-19 at 8.03.24 PM.png (101.83 KB, 122 downloads)
screenVIEW 2018-05-19 at 8.24.08 PM.png (103.96 KB, 119 downloads)
Last edited by w; 05/19/18 04:25 PM.

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Hey W. Not sure if it was the chord progression of Alive or what but I tried at least 15 times to regenerate all tracks. Every time it would get about 30 to 40 percent into the song & piano or strings or cello would get very out of tune. Just for like 2 measures then things would be right again.

Maybe it is the progression? Haven't had anything other than a random note now and then happen like that before. Those I can fix with Melodyne but this was bad.

Maybe you could download Charlie's file and try it? I did not try that but it was on my first attempt, created from scratch that I used _HEART. Just would be interesting to see if you hear the same with that chord progression?

I know you suggested ACW in your first post, do you have luck getting a semi accurate result using it? Any tips for a rookie?

Thanks
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Mike,

Quote:
Maybe you could download Charlie's file and try it?

OK, once again I;ve played Charlie's file here and must say I am at a loss what you find wrong...

here are some screen views of Charlie's rendition of the song you wanted

please don't misunderstand my suggestion perhaps you should read the built in programme manual about the Audio Chord Wizard and then come back at us with where it is you are stuck

the ACW takes time and patience to learn

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
screenVIEW 2018-05-19 at 11.21.03 PM.png (48.32 KB, 111 downloads)
screenVIEW 2018-05-19 at 11.21.21 PM.png (102.38 KB, 111 downloads)
screenVIEW 2018-05-19 at 11.21.52 PM.png (32.07 KB, 111 downloads)

Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
W
???
Nothing wrong with Charlie's file what so ever? In fact I'm extremely grateful that he would take the time to do this.

For the record I was suggesting you get the file and change the style to _HEART to see if you get the weird out of tune measures. But I'm good.

Thanks to you and Charle for the help!

Mike

Last edited by mbsmike; 05/20/18 01:45 AM.

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Hi Mike,

Quote:
For the record I was suggesting you get the file and change the style to _HEART to see if you get the weird out of tune measures. But I'm good.

When you change styles you are changing the Realtracks. As you know Realtracks are studio audio recorded instruments.
BIAB then uses these audio recordings to fit a chord progression entered by a user and of course you may end up with weird out of tune measures. Therefore you have to spend time with those " weird " tracks to edit those audio tracks ( since they are not midi ) by perhaps selecting/setting it to a more simple or even held.

this is a screen shot of a Realtrack i am working on at this moment

Sorry if i caused you some confusion with my explanation and in fact even this explanation may be confusing as well.

screenJPEG 2018-05-20 at 8.40.19 AM.jpg (155.61 KB, 92 downloads)
Last edited by w; 05/20/18 04:48 AM. Reason: correcting typing and comments

Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Certainly no problem W. I'm still learning the ins and outs of BIAB.

I get it that changing realtracks can provide some strange results hehehe. But this one was the weirdest I had heard yet. The reason I asked about a bug (which I hesitate to do because I've seen this too many times as an excuse for user error) is another user recently found the same thing on another style that PG ended up fixing in the last update.

As a complete noob to RealBand, would it be a viable option to take it in there and multi riff just those measures? Would that fix the out of tune parts?

I do appreciate all the help and direction from members here on the forum. This is by far the best and friendliest forum I have ever been on.

Thanks
Mike

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Mike,

the instruments in the style _HEART play and sound good . It's true there have been " sound " glitches in some styles and i suggest you make a special post. Posting that finding within a topic just gets lost.

i leave your RealBand questions to the Window gurus since in my opinion there is no need for PG's RealBand in the Mac world .

As always, happy Banding to you.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Check your audio settings in Biab. Try using the basic 16.440 setting for the audio. Sometimes, using 24.480 will make the Realtracks sound out of tune.

Trax

Beginners Forum
M
mbsmike Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Thanks I'll take a look at that.

Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen
16 gig memory
Cubase pro 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195