Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi Jim,

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen updates mess up Windows on any of my machines, and I do install them when they come out.

I'd take most of what the guy in the video says with a grain of salt. He calls Microsoft Edge a "search engine", and accuses Microsoft of installing spyware on machines, which I have my doubts about. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
It is a bad policy for Microsoft to force updates on users. They are essentially saying the user is incapable of making their own decisions. I my case when I am running BIAB at a jam and the software that calls it I don't want the MS-update running. That is my decision to make. Not theirs. What they are doing with their update is completely unimportant relative to that decision.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/07/18 10:07 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
Veteran
Veteran
That's really the difference between the "Home" version of Windows 10 and the "Pro" version of Windows 10. With the Pro version, you still ultimately have to apply the updates, but you can schedule them at a time of your own choosing.

Luckily, I upgraded from Windows 7/8 Pro on my computers, so that took me directly to Windows 10 Pro.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Interesting. Pay more money and you get to make your own decisions. Sounds a bit like a protectionist racket where you get protected from the person you pay. Pay us money and we won't steal any of your CPU usage at your critical times.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Correct that's why I recommend pro.

I'm STILL on 1703 with Pro you delay almost indefinitely, with Pro you can change Group Polices and refuse updates until approved for release to business enterprises (deployments), which BTW still has NOT happened for Fall Creators update 1709, let alone current 1803.

Larry

EDIT

You can believe it or not, this is the internet after all, so I'm simply passing on some possible money savings info (loosely related to this topic) if anyone is interested:

You can a buy a full, legal, and yes Genuine license for Win 10 PRO for $32.99 from a MS partner - that's less than paying $50 direct to MS just to upgrade from Win 10 HOME.

[discussion

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_access-mso_win10-mso_2010/is-the-site-instant-software-store-safe/e139f6d5-8bcf-42cf-976c-944ec67ba785

then see link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/solution-providers/partnerdetails/instant-software-store_ef3e4333-12ee-4c6e-8eca-62a4b1ebd476/7d4679d0-f56a-40eb-b637-5c61436317c2
]

https://instant-software-store.com/iss_windows10pro.php

Yes it's valid, MS legal, and not a scam that I can tell (at least for me it wasn't).

In last month I've bought four licenses: two Win 10 Pro's, one Win 7 Pro 64 and one Win 7 Pro 32 bit (the Win 7 licenses cost a whopping $18.99 each three weeks ago now I see they only have the expensive $28.99 copies - LOL).

ALL Win copies installed, all copies and product keys activated on-line and all are reported as as GENUINE by the OS. The installs were on four different PC's (one was a laptop). The two Win 7's belong to my brother and the two Win 10's were builds for my wife's friends.

I've already bought (set aside) another Win 10 Pro license for myself for upcoming new monster i9 XXXX bleeding edge gamer/DAW/general purpose work build. It's still possible I might go AMD Ryzen - but still looking at various MoBO's, configs, chips sets, gotcha's, current and future growth features, etc.

EDIT

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/07/18 12:44 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Larry,

I wasn't aware a person can still obtain Windows 7; that's a surprise. I looked at the Instant Software Site and was surprised by the prices I saw, $214.99 for a single Windows 10 Professional 32/64 bit download and license key and $219.99 for a Windows 7 Pro download and license. That's way different than your report.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Windows updates aren't necessarily bad either. Often they fix security holes that have been discovered. They could save you.

Now I do understand there is marketing involved as well, but that's become a fact of life with computers.

I always install the updates, but I make a new back-up disk image first. I make an image before installing anything new, it's saved by rear a few times. But I've never had to use it on a MS update.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
I use to take an image after every software install. I don't bother now. I take an image or two after a complete reinstall of windows and my software so I know the image is completely clean of any junk I don't want. From that point on I keep a record of what I install after that. So if I get a virus I just return the clean image, install all the stuff that I installed after then I take another double image and once again I keep a record of any software I install (I have a way to ensure I don't forget). This way I know for sure that the 2nd pair of images are free of any junk. I repeat this process any time I need to do an image restore due to a virus or whatever. This process eliminates the need for the MS updates because I can very quickly fix things. Of course data gets backed up very often (often several times a day). So again. It is not good policy for MS to force updates upon people. I would not trust MS to protect me from viruses etc. The people who write viruses, root-kits and ransomware are always trying to outsmart Microsoft. There is no way we can predict when they find another hole to sneak through.

I returned 3 restores on my Win7 machine because it was not acting correctly (virus, driver went bad, whatever, it does not matter). I had to do a complete rebuild after I replaced a drive. It was after this rebuild I started the new procedure. Doing an image backup after each software install often means you are backing up junk that is slowing your machine or waiting to bite you such as a root-kit or maybe even ransomware. It is a good idea to turn off your backup disk or have some rotation where the backup disk is turned off as a way to protect against ransomware because it will compact things across the home network. This includes compacting your images. Keep your images on an external USB drive that you very rarely plug in (like only when doing the above procedure). The big concern these days is ransomware compacting critical data and how long ransomware sits on your machine before it bites you. The bigger your drive removed from the machines rotation the greater your protection from ransomware.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/08/18 04:36 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Jim,

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen updates mess up Windows on any of my machines, and I do install them when they come out.

I'd take most of what the guy in the video says with a grain of salt. He calls Microsoft Edge a "search engine", and accuses Microsoft of installing spyware on machines, which I have my doubts about. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

I'm sure you are correct about the updates as well as the nonsense the "guy in the video" was saying. So many people talk about using to Linux, but it is usually just talk. Like others, I was reluctant at first, but I finally made the move to using Linux for "what it was good at" and using Windows for "what it was good at" around 2007, and I haven't regretted my choice. My Windows machines work great without being connected to the Internet, without downloading and installing Windows updates, and without having any anti-virus or other security protections to slow the PCs down. I built my XP machine in 2007, installed the basic necessary softwares I needed & used a lot, made an image of my base setup, and it has been running every day since then doing Excel programming, music production, recordings, videos, etc, all without being on the Internet and without the hassles of downloading & installing updates. The only thing I need to do is back my data files. My Win 10 machine has been running regularly since 2016 without Internet, updates, anti-virus, etc, and you confirmed what I already suspected about Win 10 functioning without an Internet connection... again, I thank you!

I bought my Internet PC (Lenovo) in 2012 to replace the old Pentium I used for the Internet back then. When I bought the Lenovo, I stored its Win7 HD, replaced it with a new HD, and installed Linux. With Linux the OS and program files are free and they are pretty good, many are excellent. Some things I use to do in Windows I now prefer doing in Linux. In addition, with Linux I can go anywhere on the Internet fearlessly and download anything for Windows that looks interesting. If I decide to use a software for Windows, I can have an on-line virus scanner check the file before transferring it over to one or more of my Windows machines. I've got the best of both worlds,

The bottom line is this... don't bash Windows, its a great OS and it has a lot of wonderful programs (like Biab) which run on it. If you don't want the hassles of updates and security software, make your life easier and disconnect it from the Internet... use it for "what its good at". If you've got an old machine around gathering dust, download a Linux distro, install it, and give it a try... you might like it!

Jim
†=☮&♥
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Another option is use a Live CD or USB boot, it is just a basic bootable Win10 OS CD/USB that will run BIAB.
Live CD/USB are use to recover/repair a crashed windows installation but I had it running Biab from the C:\bb drive.
If you have the wma version of BB you can run it on a bootable usb stick.

Veteran
Veteran
Jim

you clicked on the 3rd link, right?

Instant Software Store

https://instant-software-store.com/index.php

I just searched using a different browser (chrome I usually use Firefox) for that name and clicked on it and got the one above (same one)?

Larry

ACTUALLY try it and report back. Using a different PC I get same site with an order of magnitude cheaper price than $200. Your not using a VPN routed through Mexico or Venezuela and getting prices in Pesos or Bolívar are you LOL

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 06/08/18 11:40 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Veteran
Veteran
Larry, I kid you not. Check out the screenshot below. My browser is Firefox Quantum V62.0.2.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Clipboard01.jpg (141.51 KB, 198 downloads)

B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
The way updates should work in my opinion is like this. You get a new machine. You take a clean image of it (preferably two that are both verified). So a year or two later the machine is fairly dirty due to internet usage but not all that noticeable yet (strange things happen but a reboot fixes them and you do not know what the problem is or if it is worth returning the image so you continue on living with the small issues). You get an announcement that an update exists. They tell you it will take 6 hours tops to download and they tell you it is service pack #1 so you know rather than their keeping it a mystery. You leave your machine running overnight to do the download and you have a file which you can run at any time in the future which is called service pack #1. Because your machine is running fine you leave it there for future use. When you machine gets a virus or becomes slow to the point that you want to return the image you return it and your machine is running just like it is new again. This time you install the service pack #1 update (if you choose) then you install all your current software that you installed after the first image. Now you have a 100% clean up to machine and you take another two images to lock it in. This way the update should take no more than the 40 minutes that a full windows install typically takes. If the update has issues (and yes being a programmer I know this does happen) then you can roll back to the first image and leave the update off the 2nd time.

Here is another reason this makes sense. There are some software that openly state they will not run unless windows has a 2nd or 3rd service pack. If Microsoft was to tell you the download was a specific service pack using the method I describe above you could store it until you upgrade some of your software and it needs this service pack.

Another option should be to order the service pack DVD which is likely to be clean (sometimes downloads get corrupt). Maybe you pay $15.00 or something for this. That is fine.

The way they are doing it now with forced updates when you restore the first clean image the update is going to start over again. Of course many users do not know how to take an image or even know such a thing is possible.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/08/18 04:01 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
For marketing reasons some of the manufacturers of software will want you to think their service packs or download updates are for security reasons. They are trying to hide the fact that it is very expensive to thoroughly test software and in a competitive environment they send their software out too soon so that the user can test it. So my best guess is that 90% and at times 100% of the service pack is bug fixes. There may at times be some small feature enhancements. We have no way of proving this since many bugs we do not experience. The better software manufacturers are transparent and publish a list of their fixes (this is smarter marketing because it also markets their software company as being honest and trustworthy). I would guess that service packs 2 and 3 fix bugs created by the attempts at fixes in service pack 1 which create new problems. That is the reality of programming. Why does this occur? Because programs are extremely complex. It becomes even harder to fix bugs for the company if they have a high programmer turnover since it takes a long time to learn a complex program and putting in fixes when you do not have a 100% knowledge of the program is risky (been there done that). Many years ago I read that Microsoft is a sweatshop (typically these create high turnover). I can not prove this but judging from the fact that their software quality is going downhill (file find is no where near as good as in XP, backup is no where as good as in XP) I suspect what I read may in fact be true.

I will agree that Lunix is good and MS-windows is good. Windows would be better if they followed the procedure in the above post. The fact that they no longer do what I describe in the above post is more proof in my mind that they are going down hill. They are struggling to keep ahead of Google and Linux.

Last edited by bowlesj; 06/09/18 02:44 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Veteran
Veteran
Good Golly Miss Molly! I don't know what to say I didn't spend half that much on FOUR copies of OS' from them??

-
Maybe trying clearing cache or using a different browser (but I'm also using FF Quantum 60.0.2), or doing a fresh Google search and get your own fresh link? However, I realize this not be worth effort just to try for grins and is probably just a curiosity to you, you aren't in market for NEW OS, OFFICE suite, VISIO, Project.

But your try would scare off anyone from even trying to look for a cheaper price at that site.

Maybe someone else can try and see? I know I'm not special (at least not in that sense - LOL) and I have no association with Instant Software Store, actually this was first time I ever bought from them. Wish I had seen them before two recent upgrades I had to make. I have to run multiple versions of some software, different customers. Unfortunately some MS SW is NOT fully backwards compatible (no matter what they say)

I couldn't consult without those tools and about $10K of other numerical, graphical, and statistical software so I am ALWAYS on lookout for cheap(er) but fully legal tools. I can't use or even be suspected of using pirated, shareware or even freeware SW in my line of work with USG and other contractors)

And I also realize I strayed way off topic of OP so I am done wasting folks time here on this one
Good Luck

Larry

Veteran
Veteran
I just went to the site and it showed Windows 10 Pro for $32.99.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks thought I was in a string theory alternate universe (beyond my normal - disconnectedness grin :-) )

Larry

Apprentice
Apprentice

That's RIGHT NOW.

To Jim Fogle: somehow the ISS hate your guts! wink

Last edited by LtKojak; 06/09/18 11:18 PM.

Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
Milano, Italy
https://soundcloud.com/theodore-kojak/tracks
Hy-Bro Test Sound Files
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: LtKojak

That's RIGHT NOW.

To Jim Fogle: somehow the ISS hate your guts! wink
I agree! At least it seems that way.

Expert
Expert
I only just upgraded to Win7 x64 from Win XP a couple years ago....I have ONE system that goes online, and it is Linux.

Linux is just a valid & easy to use as Win or Mac IMHO......Most everything is covered, even photography, which really shocked me last year.

Again, IMHO, there is really no need to update unless you have a piece of software you need for work or some other critical reason.

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199