You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#476964 - 06/09/18 08:53 AM [User Showcase] New song "Tongue Tied"
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Loc: Warwickshire, UK
Nothing deep this time, just a song about being too shy to ‘plight one’s troth’, as they say.
Here's an accompanying video which includes glimpses of yours truly in action:

(Switch to 1080HD if it doesn't do so automatically).

Lyrics and technical notes can be found Here.

BIAB Components:
Electric Piano - PIANO CRAY1.STY Cray 1 90's Rock Blues (but I made the opening trill!)
Organ - ECST_GRV.STY East CoastGroove Rock Organ (choruses and middle 8 only)
Electric Rhythm Guitar - 500WATT.STY_Guitar_Real 1718 Guitar TexasBluesRockStraightBrent Ev 120

All at 120bpm but little trick I use is to speed things up in final choruses to add a sense of excitement, to 121.4bpm here.

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#477015 - 06/09/18 03:37 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Joe -PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Hi Skyline, Very cool song! Excellent chords and easy to listen to. Really enjoyed the visualizations too, thanks for sharing!

#477018 - 06/09/18 03:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
This is great John! I'm hearing some Ray Davies in this one - very cool.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#477082 - 06/10/18 05:35 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Tano Music Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Hey John, really enjoyed listening to your work. I loved the way that you ended the song… Kind of an uncertain note… You don’t know what eventually happens! I like a lot of the Rhyme schemes that you used, and I especially like the background vocals done so expertly. Thanks for sharing !

#477099 - 06/10/18 07:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
John,

Wow! Excellent song and vocal - love the video as well.

Bob

#477120 - 06/10/18 11:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent tune. Really loved your video. Super vocal and backtrack. Well done

#477139 - 06/10/18 01:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Robertkc Offline
Expert

John,

I liked the upbeat feeling conveyed here...infectious in a Ringo/Jerry Rafferty way.
Production, vocals and especially your harmonies are on the money.
The video is cool - both the freeform stuff and your in home shots.
The cat looks comfortable!

Robert

#477142 - 06/10/18 01:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
John, you had me from the git-go. Everything about this is top shelf. Your vocals were perfect. As was the guitar lead and tone! Super chops also! The backing tracks and the mix were spot on.

I think this is your best to date.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#477150 - 06/10/18 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Ember - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Loc: Victoria, BC
I really like this song! Your vocals tied in really well to the song and added another level of depth. I think you made a lot of really smart choices here. Well done. grin

#477180 - 06/10/18 05:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Sounds and looks terrific John! I also enjoyed reading all the details in the link.
My Videos

#477217 - 06/10/18 11:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
PeterF Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sydney Australia
John

Liked it all - great video and catchy song, overall a lovely production.

Peter

#477269 - 06/11/18 10:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Deryk - PG Music Offline
PG Music Staff

Really nice work! I enjoyed how catchy and groovy this tune is. It is the precisely the kind of thing I'd imagine sounding unreal in a live setting. Lots of energy and charisma, and a top notch hook to boot.

Not a thing I'd change - thanks for sharing smile

#477276 - 06/11/18 12:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Sweet.... man I loved that punchy mix. Very well executed.

Nothing there not to like.

Interesting song and loved the chord changes you selected. One of the best ones here ..... at least in the top 10 of my favorites this year.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#477300 - 06/11/18 02:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
LPman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Montréal Quebec Canada
Hi Skyline

Well done... Impressed with the guitar solo & how honest you're about writing lyrics. I just turned "journeyman" grin

#477312 - 06/11/18 03:39 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Cool song, John.

Excellent production and mix (as always).

A very catchy chorus (had a bit of a Badfinger thing going).

Very enjoyable.

fj

#477342 - 06/11/18 07:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I'll have to repeat that word: "catchy".

Nice video, excellent production. I especially liked the vocoder and the harmonies.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#477369 - 06/12/18 04:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Many thanks friends, I'm glad you liked this one. I had a lot of fun putting it together.

Ray Davies, Badfinger: wow, it would be good to even hold a small light to them in terms of composition!

Robert: yes, I only spotted our cat Buffy in the background when I began to edit the video!

David: the vocoder was courtesy of the demo version of iZotope's VocalSynth2. I'm not sure I'll spring for the full version as I don't think it's an effect I will use much, even though it's (regrettably) all over modern pop songs. I still remember how the Syndrum was overdone in the 80s!

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#477407 - 06/12/18 08:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Great mix...the drums are superb.

Enjoyed reading the techie stuff and watching the cool vid.

This one has those great qualities of catching you immediately, holding you and ultimately making you want to listen again.

Great work!

J&B
J&B Website

#477680 - 06/14/18 01:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Skyline Offline
Veteran

Many thanks J&B for taking a listen!

John
BIAB 2017
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 3

#484256 - 08/01/18 04:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: New song "Tongue Tied" [Re: Skyline]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
John,

This is exceptional! You always manage to present and to produce songs that sparkle with talent in every direction. Every time I listen to your work, you give me ideas and help me think beyond my own boundaries. I really appreciate that!

All the best,
Noel

P.S. Great video, too!

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27840 Members
51 Forums
53039 Topics
440328 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Guitarrocks, helmut_K, Jerome1968, jfrances, LatinoMike

27840 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 145