Print Thread
Go To
#477415 06/12/18 07:03 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
OP Offline
M
So I just purchased BIAB Pro 2018
I entered the chords for "Blue and Green" and used real tracks to generate the piano part. Did this 3 times to get 3 different versions.
This sound has a few specific chords such as Dm69, A7#9, E7#9, A7b13-

So I printed up the piano part and was really disappointed. The program either just wouldn't play a #9 or it would play a 9th or a b9.
It never played the 6th for the Dm69 chord
It never played the b13th either.

Anyone else having this problem?

I had purchased this program to use as part of teaching and analyzing voicings. Obviously this isn't going to work so I'm looking for any solution.

Thanks

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, if you used a RealTrack then the notation chart may have been manually transcribed. However, you mentioned a Piano RealTrack, and for Piano that is more likely to be the actual note-for-note recording of the original RealTrack.

You mentioned: "So I printed up the piano part and was really disappointed. The program either just wouldn't play a #9 or it would play a 9th or a b9."

Can I interpret this that you didn't see those notes in the notation, or you couldn't hear those notes in the playback?

Under Options > Preferences > Arrange, there is a feature called Natural Arrangements

You can also get to the Natural Arrangements setting for individual tracks by clicking on the track in the mixer and choosing Track Settings.

Experimenting with these options may alter the results you are receiving.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Videotrack, if natural arrangements is set on, it may have simplified the chord for you.

Also, Realtracks can only play what chords the recording artist who played the Realtrack used. This means that while one might not get the required chord on one Realtrack, it will be present on other Realtracks.

For example... The chords you list are more likely to be found in jazz Realtracks. If a country-based Realtrack was used, they may not be present.

What was the name and number of the Realtrack(s) you tested? I'll give them a test run.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can use the BB Chord Picker Tool to show the usable chords.
Also check out www.RapidComposer.com

Veteran
Veteran
Even if you turn off Natural Arrangement for a song, you may still not hear the correct voicing in a RealTrack. Try another style, as it’s possible the artists who recorded a particular style didn’t record the chord you want. You can just try another individual RealTrack also.

If you use a MIDI track, you should always hear the correct voicing.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Expert
Expert
Try midi - midi does exactly what it's told. live musicians don't! and that's what you get with RealTracks

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the reply.
Since yesterday I did another test - I entered the following chords -
E7#9, A7#9, A7b13, and Dm69
I went through all the realtrack styles I had and then "generated" the song. As the song played I looked at the Piano view -
Never did the program play any #9 notes - either it played the 9th or even a b9 but never a #9. I went into chord builder and entered E7#9 and clicking on "preview" - it did play the #9. I entered it - went back to the song - but no luck - still no #9.
The program never played a b13 nor the 6th of the Dm chord - lots of 7th for the Dm but never a 6th.

So I didn't hear the right notes plus the notation screen never showed the right notes either.

M
OP Offline
M
The problem with using MIDI is the quality of sound. I purchased this program only because of the Real Tracks. Even though the VST is better than years before it still isn't that great.

M
OP Offline
M
I have tried ALL the jazz styles listed under realtracks. I purchased the PRO version so I only have a handful of styles available. But none of them would play a #9

M
OP Offline
M
I'd like you posters to try the same experiment I'm doing - just enter a simple progression of 7th chords with a #9 and ones with b13ths, and minor chords with a 6th. See if you can get the program to correctly play the voicings.
Please let me know what you find out.

Thanks for all the help -

M
OP Offline
M
nope - entered the chords correctly and in BIAB pro 2018 - there is a m69 chords available.
Update - I've tried using just MIDI as someone suggested and it does indeed work. Unfortunately it's very basic and nothing close to sounding like real tracks.
the solution I think is to keep the chords a 7th chords and I'll play the #9s and b13ths. At least then I won't have a backing track that is playing the chords incorrectly.

I did talk to tech support and they said that maybe other real tracks would play the #9s but they were unsure which tracks those would be. With Pro I only got a handful of jazz styles so would need to move up to a more expensive version with the hope of more real tracks.

Veteran
Veteran
I know I hear #9 but I primarily use Latin styles. I do have all the tracks available.

This is not meant to excuse what you are not hearing, but experiment with 7alt chords, too. Often the intelligence used by the program selects a #9 in that chord type.

Thinking out loud without checking (not at my BIAB computer), there are some local and global settings to explore, such as ‘jazz up the chords’ or ‘simplify’. If you had simplify selected, it might explain the program failing to play the correct upper extensions. But I’m not sure if these settings affect MIDI only.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You can try Song Settings > Avoid Transpositions in RealTracks.

Veteran
Veteran
Using Real Tracks, Poll winners medium swing, I entered a series of 7#9 chords and didn't get any #9 chords, the only 9th I got were natural ninths. Never noticed it before because I only use bass and drums for accompaniment.

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
B
B
Latecomer to this thread. Searched the site to see if anyone was having this same problem. Yes, Real Tracks doesn't voice 7#9 or 7b5 chords. Quite annoying. One might say that it flattens the affect of some tunes. SOME of the midi styles will, some won't.

Veteran
Veteran
I would like to see a song posted that demonstrates that, with Natural Arrangement off, you cannot hear a #9 in those chords that have it.

We have been told about chord progressions but do not yet have specific styles and RealTracks to test. I don't know from these comments which instruments are being used. Could we have a song, both the .MGU file and an audio snippet?

L
Veteran
Veteran
L
(Take a quick look back at Pipeline's previous post that shows a screen capture of the "Biab Chord Picker" Window)

I guess people have far greater expectations than I, when it comes to being able to get a RealTrack to play a specific chord.
And especially the chords that "musicmanboy" is looking for.

Is it reasonable to expect that, when PGMusic hires musicians to do a RealTracks recording session, said musician will be expected to record each of those chords, in multiple keys?

If I was PGMusic at that recording session, I would ask myself, how much of my customer base is going to need all "one hundred plus" of those chords, played in all twelve keys? Then make an appropriate request to the musician, based on what my (and my customers) expectations should be.
Not to mention, how much time and money is being tied up in the recording session!

I guess my point is, if I absolutely HAD to have an Asusb9#11b13 chord in my song, I wouldn't have expected a RealTrack to play it, even though the Chord Picker says I can enter it to the chord sheet. I'd be looking for a MIDI track, and a suitable sound source, enter the chord, and if necessary, fix up the notes in the Piano Roll to get the voicing I wanted, then freeze that track.

Just my 2¢ (CDN).
LLOYD S

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,605
Posts735,009
Members38,513
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian, michael07716
38,513 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 186