Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So, I wanted to resurrect another old number, this one from the age of 19, I think it was.

I wanted to bring out the pros and recreate the sound of thunder I had with my first band, so I pulled in Scott Collingwood on the electrics because he brings the big guns, and my friend and collaborator Jon Healey from LA on Sax.

https://www.reverbnation.com/davidpsnyder/song/29692241-dead-end-road

https://soundcloud.com/david-snyder-gigs2/dead-end-road

The C in Street stands for Collingwood and Canada. Here are some guitar-worthy notes, because Scott is one awesome player.

Scott is playing four guitar parts. He is doing a clean and gritty Les Paul, with a really muscular rhythm left and right channels, and when his astonishing guitar solo comes in at the 5 minute mark (a minute and a half solo) he is playing in freakin’ stereo with himself on two separate tracks, one clean and one dirty, again, left and right. You can’t miss this moment. He blows your socks off. Then Jon comes in on sax. Whoaaah. Dudes!!! That's what I'm talking about.

Hope you have fun and enjoy the ride.

Dead End Road
By David Snyder

V1

Johnny pumps gas near an overpass
At a Union 76
He feeds his dreams to a coin machine
He’s got a toolbox full of tricks
He married his high school sweetheart
On graduation night
They made love in the parking lot
Under some neon lights
Now she works at a grocery on the boulevard
And she says
Life would be so easy Johnny
But it’s gotten
So damned hard
So damned hard

CH:

And we’ve been driving down a dead end road
Driving down a dead end road
Driving down a dead end road
Just driving down a dead end road

V2

We got little kid brother sittin’ dirty faced
By the side of the road, by the side of the road
Smokin’ cigarettes, smokin’ cigarettes
And acting real slow, acting real slow
Stealin’ quarters, just to play some foosball
All night long, down at Nicky’s pool hall
Sayin’ brother drive me to the county line
We’ll buy a sixpack of beer and we’ll feel real fine
Then we’ll go home
And mama will ask where we been
But daddy’s at work at the factory
He sleeps all day, goes to work at three
And I think she knows, I think our mama knows

CH:

That we been driving, just surviving
Making our plans, but never arriving
On our own
Cause we’re all alone
We’re all alone
On this dead end road

Words and music copyright David Snyder, ASCAP/Day of Faith Records

David Springsteen and the C-Street Band is:

David Snyder, Acoustic guitars, piano, B-3, synth, Vocals
Little Scottie Collingwood, electric guitars and guitar solo
Jon “Skinny Man” Healey, Saxophone

RealTracks in style: 1522:Bass, Electric, PopPower8s Ev 120
RealDrums in style: MetalSlowBigTomGroove: a: Toms, Snare b: Busy Big Toms, Snare

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great song David, this gives a long ago feel to me, which I love, almost Boss, Bruce Springsteen sound, we, me an my friends could not stand him in the 70's the girls loved him, well you make it sound really good. He seemed ok back then now he is just a dancing bear. HA

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, Spanish Johnny...

That's a mighty fine 19-year-old write. Nice job of getting Springsteen-like images and phrasing throughout.

Sort of a Wild-and-the-Innocent chaos, too. I thought it was difficult to separate Scott's guitar (lead) and Jon's sax - they are such similar frequencies.

Good BruceYells in the outro...

fj

User Showcase
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
David,

This is awesome as always!

I love the rawness of your vocals and production.

Side note: Does that TEAC reel-to-reel in the pic still see any use?

Cheers
Kent

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David,

This is over the top AWESOME! Love the huge production and mix. Your vocal and instrumentation was perfect

Great guitar playing by Scott...

I was with you for the whole 6+ minutes!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks David for including me on the track. Really had allot of fun with it. I borrowed a few licks from Little Steven on this one :-)
Excellent vocal. Love what you did with the lyrics. Great story telling....

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Great work - this is a throwback to the 80's! I love the synths, and the song has a great energy to it. The tune sounds so huge and vast. There's some really cool lyrics as well here. Pretty impressive you wrote this when you were only 19!

You did an outstanding job on this one - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
Online Content
PG Music Staff
This song delivers the whole package. It gives you this really raw feeling, like you used to hear more often in older rock songs. I think you did a really good job on this one. It was fun to listen to!

Thanks for the experience.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the way you can capture the feel of both Dylan and Springsteen.

Your voice lends well to this style.

Really good job of the lyrics. Man they could have been a Springsteen write from back in his Asbury Park days on the Jersey shore.

Personally, if you're redoing this, I'd do a slight rewrite and eliminate the many repeats BECAUSE... man you don't do that in the first verse and it just flows extremely well and shows the gritty side that Springsteen is soooo good at doing. Don't get lazy in the chorus and the second verse.

Quote:
Johnny pumps gas near an overpass
At a Union 76 He feeds his dreams to a coin machine
He’s got a toolbox full of tricks He married his high school sweetheart
On graduation night They made love in the parking lot Under some neon lights
Now she works at a grocery on the boulevard
And she says Life would be so easy Johnny But it’s gotten So damned hard So damned hard

Man, that's freaking brilliant writing right there..... It takes you into the story and makes you feel the heat of the night and the sound of the coins dropping into the pinball machine.

I'm sure the sax and guitars parts were great, but they are playing together and over each other hiding the brilliance of each other in the confusion.

This song has potential to be a slam dunk knock out. But it needs some more work.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/14/18 07:25 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very strong pumping rock tune. Excellent vocals, 'wall of guitars' mix and guests.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Clifton!!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey Magic Rat,

Are you pants still rolled up? Is your girlfriend still sitting on the hood of a dodge drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain? Are you gonna disappear down Flamingo Lane?

I don't know man, the poets down here don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be.

And yeah. I need to clean up that solo mix.

wink

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Kent man, couldn't have done it without ya--literally!!

smile

As for the Teac. Yessir. Being an engineer, I guess you know there is just nothing like getting a perfectly pristine ready for iTunes stereo digital track, loading it into Real Band, and mastering that puppy onto tape.

Or feeding an acoustic guitar part back into the console with some tape on it.

Oh yeah. She runs, buddy. You better believe.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
David's Four Track_209.jpg (107.75 KB, 61 downloads)
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Bob! We had a lot of fun with that!

Glad you enjoyed it!!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Scott.

Man you killed it. You made the song.

I do need to fix the guitar and sax mix on my second go around. It needs some work. But hey, Bruce took six months to mix Born to Run, so maybe I will get it done before that.

smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Definitely sounds like it belongs on The Wild, the innocent & the E Street Shuffle - part Sandy & part Wild Billy with some later Thunder Road thrown in for BIGgness...
Cool revitalization of your musical youth (pass the Dutchie anyone?).
Great contribution from your collaborators.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Deryk! I am so glad you liked it man.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Thanks Ember! That was very sweet of you to say!

Glad you liked it!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi david love the vocal and the lyrics guitar and sax sounded nice sure brings memories back thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello David,

Scoot & Jon, too. I fully agree with the Springsteen references. Pretty in-depth lyric for a 19 year-old - nice insight to things most kid at that age don't have. But, you've always been a visionary with your music. You truly are one the most creative people on the site -.

You accomplices outdid themselves - you are so fortunate to hive them with you on this. Scott and Jon are more than icing on the cake - they add a lot to the batter, too. Super collab. You guys kicked it in the a$$!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,484
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195