Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Paul McCartney fairly recently released his album "Kisses on the Bottom", which is definitely not his normal style.

1. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter
2. Home (When Shadows Fall)
3. It's Only a Paper Moon
4. More I Cannot Wish You
5. The Glory of Love
6. We Three (My Echo, My Shadow and Me)
7. Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive
8. My Valentine
9. Always
10. My Very Good Friend the Milkman
11. Bye Bye Blackbird
12. Get Yourself Another Fool
13. The Inch Worm
14. Only Our Hearts

The unique album title came from the first song:

I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter
And make believe it came from you
I'm gonna write words, oh, so sweet
They're gonna knock me off my feet
A lotta kisses on the bottom
I'll be glad I got 'em

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Some really awesome suggestions in this thread - going to have to jot some down to check out later smile

Cheers,
Deryk
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just curious if anyone has checked out the video I posted? It is EVERY kind of wrong. wink

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Just curious if anyone has checked out the video I posted? It is EVERY kind of wrong.

I did and it is.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Off-Topic
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Jesse James Dupree uses a lot of country tones and riffs in some of the Jakyl songs. I think he is the best chainsaw player I have ever seen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ1Q7xydJPU (Lumberjack) and (Headed for Destruction) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scqFlnek0-0
C.Dan
I wonder if he could come to the studios and lay down some Chainsaw tracks for real tracks?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John Ford, actually I'm not surprised. Paul always seemed to have an affinity for 1930s-1940s style music writing songs like "When I'm Sixty-Four", "Martha My Dear" and a few others.

Another switcher:

Gerry Mulligan started as a jazz baritone saxophonist, then started writing serious orchestral music that was definitely not in the jazz genre, and then went back to jazz bari sax.

And another:

Andre Previn switched from jazz pianist to the conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra.

One more:

Benny Goodman started as a Klezmer clarinetist and then turned into the 'King of Swing'.

Not exactly a switch, but John Lord from Deep Purple wrote a "Concerto For Group And Orchestra" (it's actually quite good) and Billy Joel as William Joel wrote a classical album called "Fantasies & Delusions" and hired classical pianist Richard Hyung-ki Joo to play it on the album.

I think many of us think of music as music and different genres more as different ways to express ourselves. I think the public worries more about genres because we as humans like to classify everything. But on our gigs we regularly play Rock mixed with Jazz mixed with Country mixed with Salsa mixed with Reggae and at least a half dozen other genres of music, and the audience doesn't seem to mind at all. I see Darius Rucker's "Wagon Wheel" and Rick Derringer's "Rock And Roll Hootchie Coo" more closely related than the audience probably does.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I think many of us think of music as music and different genres more as different ways to express ourselves. I think the public worries more about genres because we as humans like to classify everything.

I think of music as music. Sometimes I listen head-banging rock, other times classical, then instrumental pop, then country, the jazz, then soul, then blues, then novelty, etc.

I also don't feel the need to pigeon-hole an artist in a particular genre either. That's why I like it when someone like Paul McCartney does an album of standards or Billy Joel writes classical music (I have and enjoy the CD).

Granted, not everyone can pull it off, but enough have.

John

Off-Topic
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
And there was the Osmonds who had a good career run. They did anything from barbershop quartet to disco. Mostly as a group they did bubblegum pop. The did some rock and later some disco. Marie Osmond did well in dabbling into country, She nailed a number 1 with "Paper Roses". And did well with her duet with Dan Seals "Meet me in Montana" which I like.
C.Dan

jford #478834 06/22/18 02:23 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Quote:
I think many of us think of music as music and different genres more as different ways to express ourselves. I think the public worries more about genres because we as humans like to classify everything.

I think of music as music. Sometimes I listen head-banging rock, other times classical, then instrumental pop, then country, the jazz, then soul, then blues, then novelty, etc.<...>

Music is music, and like you, genre lines are not important and sometimes even impossible.

Some people consider themselves "Rock Musicians", "Country Musicians", "Classical Musicians" or whatever. If someone asks me, I just say "Musician".

I've played Classical, Rock, Country, Jazz, Folk, Latin American, Afro-Caribbean, Pop and many other genres. And the more I do it, I see more in common with the genres than differences.

Often a successful musician plays the kind of music that puts bread on his/her table. When I was on the road to being almost-famous I got to meet a lot of famous musicians. The public would be surprised to find Country Musicians secretly loving jazz, Rock Musicians secretly loving Classical, or whatever.

Late in his life I got to meet Chet Atkins. He came into a restaurant/bar we were playing at, the waitress whispered "That's Chet Atkins" so I went over to introduce myself. He was nice, open, and we had a nice chat. At one point he said he secretly always wanted to be a jazz guitarist, but he knew which side of the bread his butter was on.

I play variety. If someone came to me and said "I could make you rich and famous but you would only be allowed to play one genre of music" to tell the truth, picking one would be a very difficult decision. (I'd like to be in that position though.)

Back on topic.

Joni Mitchell went from folk to rock to jazz but unfortunately when she recorded "Mingus" she lost most of her dedicated folk and rock fans (I liked it). She forgot which side of the bread her butter was on. But I guess she had enough money that it didn't matter and artistic expression was more important. That's OK too.

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There is only two types of music genres in my book; songs that I like and songs that I do not like. The same musician can appear in both. YMMV

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Me.

I started out with folk..... 3 Strong winds, Blowing in the wind.....

Moved to pop: top 40 stuff in the 60's.... Association, Beatles, Hollies, Turtles, etc.

Hard rock in the 70's Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Zepplin, King Crimson, Uriah Heep.

to.... Country and even hard core country.... in the 80's and beyond. Haggard, George Jones, Conway, Coe, Jackson, Strait.....

my love for musical harmony was never absent from the early days. I reckon that was what finally drew me full tilt into country music and country rock.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
MarioD #479022 06/23/18 08:43 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
There is only two types of music genres in my book; songs that I like and songs that I do not like. The same musician can appear in both. YMMV

I couldn't agree with that statement more, but our personal choices might or might not be the same.

Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,476
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195