I was toying around with that no-longer-novelty concept of converting songs from major to minor, when I stumbled on one case that was just not working for me musically but I couldn't put my finger on a particular reason or cause at first. Then I tried changing the melody more drastically so that the first note was not just swapping the major third note it starts on out for the minor, but something else entirely - and suddenly I had something far more pleasing.
This got me reflecting on songs that genuinely had been written in minor keys, and I tried to think of songs in that category that genuinely start on the minor third note (e.g. E flat in a C-minor song) - and much to my surprise, I haven't found any of the "off the top of my head" kind yet.

Now, I'm quite sure these melodies obviously exist, but the bigger question is, what makes them rare or obscure enough to not instantly pop into your head like I had expected?

p.s. The past tense in "Mary had a little lamb" takes on a whole new layer once you convert the melody into minor wink

Last edited by Icelander; 06/30/18 12:24 PM. Reason: afterthought

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)