You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#481448 - 07/12/18 05:16 AM [Off-Topic] How to edit audio in an mp4 file?
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this!

I have a short video of my six year old grandson improvising some blues lyrics with me playing guitar. I told him I would post it on youtube and he is quite excited about that.

What I would like to do is extract the audio so I can master it with Ozone, then add the new audio file back in the video, what software would I need to do that?
Preferably free but I don't mind spending some money if I need to.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Youtube page

#481551 - 07/12/18 03:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I've used RealBand to extract audio from an MP4 before, but I don't remember if I had to install a plugin first.

Also Audacity can do it after installing a library as shown in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8pYUM-18k

#481556 - 07/12/18 04:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
But he needs to add the audio back, meaning video software.
Pat; you animate, what would you recommend on the cheap?

#481583 - 07/12/18 05:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
HitFilm Express is free.

https://fxhome.com/express

#481611 - 07/12/18 07:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dave,

I've been a fan of OpenShot in Ubuntu for a longtime. It's open source software (i.e. totally free).

I see that it's now available for Windows, too (32 and 64 bit). I'm presently downloading the the Windows version to install.

https://www.openshot.org/

What I like about OpenShot is that it's a multitrack video editor and for those of us who are used to using DAWs, it behaves pretty much the same except that it's video and audio.

What I discovered....

Quote:
It's possible to separate the audio and the video. The audio could then be modified and recombined with the video. (It's achieved by having two tracks where one has video enabled and audio disabled and the other has audio enabled and video disabled -- accessed via Properties.)

Regards,
Noel

Attachments
Open shot - multitrack video editor.JPG

#481645 - 07/13/18 04:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Noel, that looks perfect!!

Thanks very much, downloading now ....

(thanks to everyone else that responded also smile )

#481678 - 07/13/18 08:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: Noel96]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Noel, thanx so much for this. I don't do much in video, yet, but this looks as good as some of the purchased software.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#481729 - 07/13/18 02:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dave and Mario,

I'm also interested to try the Windows versions since I've only used the Linux version up until now.

If it helps, you'll probably find it better to view the file as a waveform rather than a thumbnail. This makes working with the file much like using a DAW (as mentioned above).

All the best with it!
Noel

#481787 - 07/14/18 09:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I'm late to the replies about video editors... but I use HitFilm. It has a free version which is VERY powerful.
It can also be used to export the audio separately for editing, then you can import it again after doctoring.

Unlike most free video editors (which typically let you combine images or video clips sequentially and blend them together in a variety of ways) Hit Film also lets you create composite scenes (in which many elements are layered together to create a totally new scene fabricated from pieces... like the CGI scenes in movies)

For example, Adobe Premiere is basically a video editing product, but its companion is Adobe After Effects, which is a compositor. Hit Film is like getting both Premiere and After Effects for free in one package.

#481798 - 07/14/18 10:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: Midwest
I was soooooo hoping Pat would jump in. smile

#481875 - 07/15/18 03:08 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Just checking out HitFilm now, looks great!

Thanks, Pat smile

#481877 - 07/15/18 03:47 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this!

I have a short video of my six year old grandson improvising some blues lyrics with me playing guitar. I told him I would post it on youtube and he is quite excited about that.

What I would like to do is extract the audio so I can master it with Ozone, then add the new audio file back in the video, what software would I need to do that?
Preferably free but I don't mind spending some money if I need to.

This can be done by BIAB for the last several years. Open <mp4> file and then select <Video> from the view toolbar. It will decompress the mp4 audio to a WAV file. After editing, it will re-sync the audio and video.

#482015 - 07/16/18 02:58 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel for OpenShot ! will check that out.

Also if you want to do it all in one with Ozone, Reaper will do it, demux video/audio, add FX to audio and render video to mp4.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlxoqp2zg48b8ot/Reaper-Multicam-Mix.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq7j6r7td780ngh/Good-Time-Reaper.mp4?dl=0

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397572#Post397572

Download Multicam Videos to practice with https://vimeo.com/110045836

PG Music News
National One-Hit Wonder Day!

Today is NATIONAL ONE-HIT WONDER DAY!

Have you ever created a "one-hit wonder" (that you'll admit to)? Post it to this thread - we'd love to hear it!

Complete RealBand 2018 Users Guide - Interactive Online Version Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page, and you'll find our latest addition - the online manual for the RealBand 2018 for Windows User's Guide!

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/index.htm

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this User's Guide can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video - Endorsing Artist Steve Wallace

Check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial Video from endorsing artist Steve Wallace!
www.pgmusic.com/?vid=6QcPF5cQjKw

"With the vast array of RealTracks and styles offered, Band-in-a-Box is a phenomenal program that can help any musician and composer hone their skills."
-Steve Wallace

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac review on www.guitaren.dk!

www.guitaren.dk has recently reviewed Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, which can be read here.

Summary:

"Our conclusion is that this is a very serious and well done piece of software.The program is fast and flawless and you'll very quick get impressive results just typing the name of the chords. The new functions are exiting and worthy to be includes in this anniversary upgrade.
We were very impressed by the MIDI SuperTracks, which is simply brilliant. It’s a function in Band-in-a-Box that's here to stay.
It's amazing that the programs feel is so fresh and innovative after 30 years. This version is better than ever and should be a in every home studio or pro studio... Congratulations with the anniversary! We love you as the ex-wife we did not know we were missing.
"

Band-in-a-Box®: Part of The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig!

Check out the latest Sweetwater article from Mitch Gallagher: "The Ultimate Desktop Guitar Practice Rig" - he's included Band-in-a-Box!

"The king of backing track creation, in my opinion, is Band-in-a-Box (BIAB). It can do everything from country to jazz to metal, with a huge array of instruments and options. There is a great selection of songs and BIAB tracks available for free on the web, so you don’t even have to make your own."
-Mitch Gallagher
www.sweetwater.com

#TBT - The First Audiophile Edition

A blast from the past... the introduction of the Audiophile Edition with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5!

The first Audiophile purchase included the WAV files for all the RealTracks & RealDrums that were available at that time: RealTracks Sets 1-9 and RealDrums Sets 1-20. It shipped pre-installed on a 250GB USB hard drive - take a look...

Wondering what else was introduced with Band-in-a-Box 2008.5? Click here to see the "Band-in-a-Box 2008.5 New Features List."

RealBand 2018 Interactive Online Upgrade Manual Available!

The newest addition to our Online Manuals support page is the RealBand 2018 New Features Guide!

Just like the other Online Manuals now available on our Support page, this Upgrade Manual can be easily navigated by chapter, or using the main Table of Contents window!

Forum Stats
27992 Members
57 Forums
53999 Topics
446100 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
snenamor, yes daddy music, grivers, mononino, alphanumeric onl

27992 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 411
David Snyder 180