You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#481448 - 07/12/18 05:16 AM [Off-Topic] How to edit audio in an mp4 file?
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this!

I have a short video of my six year old grandson improvising some blues lyrics with me playing guitar. I told him I would post it on youtube and he is quite excited about that.

What I would like to do is extract the audio so I can master it with Ozone, then add the new audio file back in the video, what software would I need to do that?
Preferably free but I don't mind spending some money if I need to.

Blue Attitude: Homepage, Latest song: Right on Time

#481551 - 07/12/18 03:55 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I've used RealBand to extract audio from an MP4 before, but I don't remember if I had to install a plugin first.

Also Audacity can do it after installing a library as shown in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8pYUM-18k

#481556 - 07/12/18 04:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
But he needs to add the audio back, meaning video software.
Pat; you animate, what would you recommend on the cheap?

#481583 - 07/12/18 05:17 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
rockstar_not Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
HitFilm Express is free.

https://fxhome.com/express

#481611 - 07/12/18 07:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dave,

I've been a fan of OpenShot in Ubuntu for a longtime. It's open source software (i.e. totally free).

I see that it's now available for Windows, too (32 and 64 bit). I'm presently downloading the the Windows version to install.

https://www.openshot.org/

What I like about OpenShot is that it's a multitrack video editor and for those of us who are used to using DAWs, it behaves pretty much the same except that it's video and audio.

What I discovered....

Quote:
It's possible to separate the audio and the video. The audio could then be modified and recombined with the video. (It's achieved by having two tracks where one has video enabled and audio disabled and the other has audio enabled and video disabled -- accessed via Properties.)

Regards,
Noel

Attachments
Open shot - multitrack video editor.JPG

#481645 - 07/13/18 04:15 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Noel, that looks perfect!!

Thanks very much, downloading now ....

(thanks to everyone else that responded also smile )

#481678 - 07/13/18 08:49 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: Noel96]
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Noel, thanx so much for this. I don't do much in video, yet, but this looks as good as some of the purchased software.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#481729 - 07/13/18 02:35 PM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Dave and Mario,

I'm also interested to try the Windows versions since I've only used the Linux version up until now.

If it helps, you'll probably find it better to view the file as a waveform rather than a thumbnail. This makes working with the file much like using a DAW (as mentioned above).

All the best with it!
Noel

#481787 - 07/14/18 09:40 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
I'm late to the replies about video editors... but I use HitFilm. It has a free version which is VERY powerful.
It can also be used to export the audio separately for editing, then you can import it again after doctoring.

Unlike most free video editors (which typically let you combine images or video clips sequentially and blend them together in a variety of ways) Hit Film also lets you create composite scenes (in which many elements are layered together to create a totally new scene fabricated from pieces... like the CGI scenes in movies)

For example, Adobe Premiere is basically a video editing product, but its companion is Adobe After Effects, which is a compositor. Hit Film is like getting both Premiere and After Effects for free in one package.

#481798 - 07/14/18 10:37 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
HearToLearn Offline
Expert

Loc: -
I was soooooo hoping Pat would jump in. smile

#481875 - 07/15/18 03:08 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
BlueAttitude Offline
Expert

Just checking out HitFilm now, looks great!

Thanks, Pat smile

#481877 - 07/15/18 03:47 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I'm sure someone here knows the answer to this!

I have a short video of my six year old grandson improvising some blues lyrics with me playing guitar. I told him I would post it on youtube and he is quite excited about that.

What I would like to do is extract the audio so I can master it with Ozone, then add the new audio file back in the video, what software would I need to do that?
Preferably free but I don't mind spending some money if I need to.

This can be done by BIAB for the last several years. Open <mp4> file and then select <Video> from the view toolbar. It will decompress the mp4 audio to a WAV file. After editing, it will re-sync the audio and video.

#482015 - 07/16/18 02:58 AM [Off-Topic] Re: How to edit audio in an mp4 file? [Re: BlueAttitude]
Pipeline Offline
Veteran

Thanks Noel for OpenShot ! will check that out.

Also if you want to do it all in one with Ozone, Reaper will do it, demux video/audio, add FX to audio and render video to mp4.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlxoqp2zg48b8ot/Reaper-Multicam-Mix.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vq7j6r7td780ngh/Good-Time-Reaper.mp4?dl=0

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=397572#Post397572

Download Multicam Videos to practice with https://vimeo.com/110045836

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Resource - Individual New Features Videos

The December release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows added 50+ new features and enhancements, Video RealTracks, 202 new RealTracks, and more!

Here is a summary of the videos created to highlight the new additions and features:
(click on the title to play the video)

- Everything you need to know in under 6 minutes!
- Complete New Features Video
- 2018 Audio Chord Wizard
- Vocal Oohs and Aahs
- Video RealTracks
- 202 NEW RealTracks
- 40 Bonus RealTracks in the 2018 49-PAK

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Build 520 Available!

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 for Windows users can download the latest free patch update, Build 250, here.

Summary of changes for Build 520 since 519 (July 17 2018):
Added: Save As style feature has support for MIDI velocity changes if volumes aren’t 90 on mixer when saved.
Added: Support for MIDI velocity changes in styles. Use the Misc-More dialog in StyleMaker to set velocity changes in MIDI styles.
Fixed: [Style Memos etc] button was not visible in the Style Editor -> Misc dialog.
Fixed: Bar lines would not display properly in the Audio Edit window if launching through the menu item "Audio Chord Wizard (Audio Edit)".
Fixed: Hitting the Return key while in the Audio Edit window might trigger Loop Screen mode.
Updated: PDF Manual and Help.

User Blog - Recording and Processing Vocals Using RealBand...

Joanne Cooper's latest blog post is a "start to finish" of how she records and processes vocals for her songs using her three "go-to" programs: RealBand, Melodyne, and Nectar from Izotope (with a little help from Band-in-a-Box...)!

Check out this blog post here.

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Windows!

Video - Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Learn how you can add MIDI SuperTracks to your Band-in-a-Box® song?

Using MIDI SuperTracks in Band-in-a-Box® for Mac!

Musician Brent Mason in the Studio Recording RealTracks!

Before leaving Nashville, Tobin caught up with Brent Mason recording some future RealTracks in the studio.

We can't wait to hear them!

Video - Adding RealTracks to Your Band-in-a-Box® Song

There are 300 RealTracks Sets available (over 2,500 RealTracks!), and here at PG Music we have this to say about them: You'll want to use RealTracks in all of your projects... and you can!

But what if you're not sure how to add them to your Band-in-a-Box® song? We have a video for that! Click here to watch...

Forum Stats
27719 Members
50 Forums
52617 Topics
436154 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Biazine, walletss, Hcarry51, sosa, LaurieS

27720 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
David Snyder 161
Noel96 145