Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#481763 07/14/18 03:07 AM
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I need some help! My internet connection ONLY opens PG Music's site, but won't open any other site! I've rebooted the modem, computer, everything- no luck.
I've never seen this before. Can anyone help?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
Wow. I have not heard of this. I would have said to delete your browser and download it again (unless it's Edge) but if you can't get to other sites, you're stuck. Sorry.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've never had this happen before. Do you think reinstalling the browser (Chrome) will help?
Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
If you kept the setup file, sure, try it. You might lose bookmarks etc.

But first, did you try a different browser?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yup. Nothing is opening. I can't even get to Google to D/L the browser.

Veteran
Veteran
But you clearly have internet access, or we could not have this conversation.

Did you ever change your DNS server?

90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Nope. Didn't change a thing. It's weird. This site opens but nothing else!

Veteran
Veteran
Try clearing your history in Chrome for the last 24 hours (or whenever it started).

Firefox got weird on me once like that.
I'd also consider doing a scan to make sure nothing snuck in on ya.
Can you ping other sites?

Open Command Prompt and type
ping google.com

That may narrow it down to only a TCP (http) issue.

You may be limited to one site, but at least it's this one!

Last edited by rharv; 07/14/18 04:39 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My Malwarebytes is missing now too. Maybe try a restore point?

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

That is what I was going to suggest.
If restore point works that does seem to tell us something? got into your system to muck things up....including the "Malwarebytes" disappearance.

Let us know the outcome....back to it.

90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: chulaivet1966

That is what I was going to suggest.
If restore point works that does seem to tell us something? got into your system to muck things up....including the "Malwarebytes" disappearance.

Let us know the outcome....back to it.

Tried that. No joy. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen! ONLY this site opens.

Pulling my hair out.

Expert
Expert
[quote=chulaivet1966][quote=90 dB]Tried that. No joy. This is the strangest thing I've ever seen! ONLY this site opens. Pulling my hair out.

Hmmmm....
Even though you have 'rebooted' the modem have you actually unplugged the modem for a few minutes?
Just a thought.

When you tried 'restore'....did the computer actually go to a previous 'restore point' date or did 'restore' not seem to respond?
Have to tried defragging or running 'check disk'?
Obviously, I'm shooting from the hip and trying to assess.

If I have any epiphany on this enigma I'll chime in again....I need to think about this one.

Back to it......

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 07/14/18 06:58 AM.
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Even though you have 'rebooted' the modem have you actually unplugged the modem for a few minutes?

Yup.

When you tried 'restore'....did the computer actually go to a previous 'restore point' date or did 'restore' not seem to respond?

It didn't have any Restore Points at all. I can't understand that either.
Then I decided to reverse the restore. No luck.

Have to tried defragging or running 'check disk'?

Defragging now.

How do I "check disc"?

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I may be wrong here but it sounds like one of two things to me. One your hard drive is failing or more likely you picked up a bad virus.

Run CHKDSK trough Command Prompt

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt (Press the Windows + X button at the same time, then choose Command Prompt (Admin))

2. Type the following command, and replace the X with the drive letter you wish to scan: “CHKDSK X:”, we suggest you use “CHKDSK X: /F”, only then it can correct errors.

3. Hit the enter key, Command Prompt will now start CHKDSK.

To check for viruses do the Security Tango:

http://securitytango.com/

Nick is from Rochester NY and on his weekly radio help show says this is still the best method to rid yourself of those bad things.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
How do I "check disc"? Regards,Bob

It just occurred to me....if you're on a Mac I may be totally talking out of school.
If you ARE on Windows:
In Windows Explorer - Right click on "C" drive
Select 'tools' from the tab selections
The first selection is "Error checking"
When you click it the prompt will state 'check disk will begin after next reboot.
NOTE: this is too check for disk drive errors only.

One more thing I'd check is my Windows "programs"
I'd make sure another program didn't get surreptitiously installed on your system unbeknownst to you.
One MORE thing....maybe see if there are available critical 'windows updates' and run them.

I'm not sure I'm helping you much.....but, here I am.

(I see Mario beat me to it....Hey Mario :))

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 07/14/18 07:32 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
I don’t think any of these physical repair-the-computer suggestions are going to help.

You mentioned Malwarebytes. Is it possible you whitelisted this site but it’s blocking all others? Check the settings.

90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I don’t think any of these physical repair-the-computer suggestions are going to help.

You mentioned Malwarebytes. Is it possible you whitelisted this site but it’s blocking all others? Check the settings.

It appears to have uninstalled itself. It doesn't appear in the Start menu, and it did before!

Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Here are links to Mozilla Firefox offline installations (32 bit and 64 bit). I have the full install files in my Dropbox.

Firefox 32 bit

Firefox 64 bit

It's worth trying to see if you can download the appropriate one for you and install it. It might be that your browser has been hijacked and installing another web browser could give you internet access.

If you are successful in downloading and installing, don't import anything from Chrome at this stage (in case something unfriendly is lurking there).

If you can't download them using Chrome, send me a private message and I'll open a shared folder in Dropbox and I'll see if I can deliver them that way.

Also, have you tried starting your Windows in Safe Mode? To do this, press F8 repeatedly while the computer is booting up.

Safe Mode (with network support) might give you access and allow you to solve the problem.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I think rharv is onto it - it has something to do with your browser, or AV or MALEWAREBYTS (yes, I read has disappeared - I would suspect whatever caused MWB's to go bye bye may also have blocked/blacklisted all URLs or changed Chrome polices , something along those lines like a "bad actor" ad blocker, etc. )

BTW is this Windows 10 (if yes home or pro?) and have you seen same thing with Win 10 Edge (agin if ti si win 10 or IE if on Win 8 or 7) ???

In any case good luck
Larry

90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
I think rharv is onto it - it has something to do with your browser, or AV or MALEWAREBYTS (yes, I read has disappeared - I would suspect whatever caused MWB's to go bye bye may also have blocked/blacklisted all URLs or changed Chrome polices , something along those lines like a "bad actor" ad blocker, etc. )

BTW is this Windows 10 (if yes home or pro?) and have you seen same thing with Win 10 Edge (agin if ti si win 10 or IE if on Win 8 or 7) ???

In any case good luck
Larry

Hey Larry. It's Win7 Home edition. Neither IE or Firefox works either. I'm hoping it's the modem. What do you think? I defragged and scanned- nothing comes back dirty.

Regards,

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,518
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193