Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#482821 07/21/18 02:48 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Hi forum friends. Have not posted in a while. Being sandwiched in between an elderly mom at an assisted living facility in my town, 2 young teenagers who need rides everywhere at all hours of the day, and a wife with a busy job, my life has not been my own. I have recently gotten to listen to a lot of great stuff when I grab a little time here and there at work, and there is a lot of GREAT stuff being posted. We write songs for different reasons. I wrote this to express my true feelings and I think it does. I hope you like it. I would love to hear any comments......you are my only audience. Take care. Greg

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/old-school

Will post lyrics and tracks later (when I get a minute).

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

I know what you mean about your life being divided in so many ways you think there's hardly any of it left for you. But we sure do miss your great music on the forum - and that's the full truth.

And WOW! So many of us here can identify with this. As always from you, this is a fabulous song. Your vocal is great - lead and the background fills. For me, the most obvious parts of the lyric are the best ...

"Guess I'm just old school, just an old fool."

And then ...

"You could say out of touch, It could be some small source of pride".

An the remainder of the lyric is equally powerful. There's not a wasted word anywhere in the lyric. And you couldn't have picked a better set of backing tracks. I could keep writing accolades forever on this one, but I think you get my point - this is a marvelous song with a fabulous delivery.

You conjured so many memories as I listened (I'm writing this as I listen for a 2nd time). This is sentimental country at its best. Still sitting here amazed as I listen. This song has such beauty and grace. Standing "O" from me and Di.

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 07/21/18 03:18 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg

Loved the song loved the delivery and more people should have the privilege of hearing you than just this small audience.
Hope writing this was cathartic and this are going well.

Peter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great song Greg. Really enjoyed the melody and the great chord progression. Great story telling. Rob

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

Like you, my busy life hasn't left me much spare time for the forum of late, but I'm
so pleased to have caught this one.

No one does this sort of stuff better than you. This is fabulous.
It's clever, it's professional, it's beautifully performed and above all, it's entertaining.

All this, and yet there's still more - it's something which many of us can relate to.
It doesn't get much better than this.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg

Loved the song loved the delivery and more people should have the privilege of hearing you than just this small audience.

Yes, 100% agree with Peter.

Excellent writing, I really enjoyed the lyrics. Of course I'm old school too! And you have such a wonderful voice, always enjoy hearing you sing.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

Don't know how you do it, but you seem to get better with every write - going stratospheric!

That first verse is stated beautifully... one of those "why didn't I think of that" type song ideas! (For me, it was Great Garbo - I used to watch old black and whites after coming home late from gigs).

The "music verse" (2nd verse) is nothing short of STUNNING. Original and touching - in a place that would easily contain hackneyed clichés in the hands of a lesser writer (a place you NEVER go). WOW.

The final verse - the "take me back" verse - is a perfect knock-out punch. Unique, perfectly worded to elicit the intended feeling from anyone who is actually listening... Another WOW.

Excellent arrangement and production. Excellent vocal - really well recording and processed - one of those that is SO good, you don't even think about it (until you think about it).

Songwriting at its best!

In a just world, you would be a star.

fj

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Enjoyed this song the vocals and lyrics were great and fitting for the old school feel.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow!

Got goosebumps from those vocals and lyrics man.

Been a while since that happened.

This in an incredible song in every way (progression, mix, instrumentation, build, poetry, mood, beauty of the lyrics, incredible singing, just for starters) and has become one of my favorites instantly.

Everything a song should be. I will be going back for 10 to 100 listens.

Totally awesome man.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hope this song was able to give you some release. It really sounded fantastic, so I hope you had fun making it!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I was glad to see you had posted another tune Greg. This is a beautiful piece of music. Lovely choice of instruments. So complimentary to such a beautiful vocal and lyric..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Wow - what a tune! Your voice is magical on this - and the melodies with those backing tracks - the whole thing works perfectly. I wouldn't bat an eyelash hearing this on the radio. You really created something special here.

You did an outstanding job here - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Greg this is a classic song, beautiful so well written, sand and produced. Cliff

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We've never seen all the superlatives gobbled up so quickly on a post -- and you richly deserve them all!

This is one of those that if it were to come on the radio one would have to pull over to listen to.

floyd much more articulated the the creatively of the verses than we would ever be able to.

It's a privilege to add this to our playlist. Thank you!!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,
A beautiful write - personal and universal,funny and moving- a ramble through a life.
Vocals (and harmonies) are instantly engaging.
Fine work... and even more impressive for a guy with that schedule!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I love it! It's got the hallmarks of some of the best Eagles songs.

It's all good, but I'd be remiss not mentioning how great your voice is, and how nice the backing vocals are, especially on the "echo" portion.

Great write, well sung and produced. I'm glad you were able to find the time to put this together.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rich, solid, lovely and earnest.
I dig it.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Really great song! Love the overall feel, so evidently right from the heart and expressing exactly the thoughts many of the listeners here, I’m sure. The vocal was perfect, I can’t think of anything I would improve about this… Thank you for sharing!

If you need the number for a good parent support group....!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks for that ultra-kind review Alan. You have no idea what it means to me!! You've been posting some great stuff in a variety of styles. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: PeterF
Greg

Hope writing this was cathartic and this are going well.

Peter

Very, very kind of you to say that Peter! You've been killing it with your recent posts.....love the last one (some kind of geologic age.. name escapes me). Take care. Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,569
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200