Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Windows OS, 10" or larger screen.

I am overwhelmed by options at Amazon where I do most of my big ticket purchases but I don't recognize the newer tablet brands.

She only uses a computer (laptop) for emails and music listening. It need not be a very high-end tablet.

I would appreciate it if you friends would browse Amazon and list stock numbers of your suggestions.

Price is a major concern.

TIA

Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
We got the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 inch for my wife about a year ago. No problems; she loves it. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

We got the 16GB model (cheaper). Our reasoning: it takes a micro SD card. One of the Amazon pages had a link to a 64GB micro SD card for under $25. (Plus you can change the micro SD cards.)

Lots of aftermarket covers are available, pretty cheap. We got her several covers that she liked. She changes the cover and feels like she got a new tablet.

She uses her tablet constantly.

On the Samsung site they're showing a discounted price, $190. Maybe there's a new model coming out. (We couldn't care less, but you may.)

On Amazon, if you put it in your cart, they show $190 also.
(Ran out of time for the Amazon links; will try later.)

I think these are the same except for color (black or white), but I didn't check this with a magnifying glass like I do before I actually buy.

Good luck with your search, Don!

https://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/tablets/galaxy-tab-a/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-10-1--16gb--wi-fi---white-sm-t580nzwaxar/

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks, Le Miz.

My wife has macular degeneration caused by diabetes so she needs the largest screen possible. 10.1 should be great.

Thanks for tossing out the lifeline.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Don,

Requiring Windows OS severely limits your choices as most tablets use an Android operating system.

My wife has multiple eye issues. I took her to BestBuy to test laptops, 2 in 1 convertibles and tablets including Windows Surface tablets and Apple tablets. She selected a LG tablet.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Don,

Requiring Windows OS severely limits your choices as most tablets use an Android operating system.

My wife has multiple eye issues. I took her to BestBuy to test laptops, 2 in 1 convertibles and tablets including Windows Surface tablets and Apple tablets. She selected a LG tablet.

Good points, Jim.

On further reading, I learned that it is an Android OS. Thanks for catching that. Since I don't own a tablet, I'm demonstrating my ignorance right in front of you.

She's finally gotten comfortable with Windows 7 on her laptop so she specified not to confuse her with Windows 10 OS.

Thanks again.

Off-Topic
L
Journeyman
Journeyman
L
Don, Jim noticed something in your spec that I missed. My wife's tablet has an Android operating system. (Plus: fast, not nearly the virus issues; Minus: it's a Google product, so you sell your privacy (soul).)

Maybe, (from your comments) it won't matter.

Anyway, here are the two Amazon links. First is black; second is white.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-SM-T580NZKAXAR-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B01EUC7NPI/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Tablet-White-SM-T580NZWAXAR/dp/B01EUC7NAI/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics

Also, something from my (faulty) memory. If you decide on Microsoft Surface, be sure to research it very carefully. I seem to recall reliability problems that I read about somewhere. (Consumer Reports???)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Not what you asked for, but my wife and daughters all use Chromebooks.

They're fairly inexpensive, and even moreso because I've purchased all of mine second hand off Craigslist.

I prefer the laptop form to tablets, but they're starting to come out with versions that "flip", so you can use them like a tablet.

Just a thought.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Requiring Windows does limit choice.

Tablets can be very frustrating for typing - doesn't matter if it's a windows 'flablet' which I'm currently using the actual hardware keyboard, an Android tablet (I use a Samsung Tab 3) or iOS (iPhone user since 2012).

All have their pros and cons.

If it's just e-mail and music listening she needs it for, any of these will work. With macular degeneration, you will want to make sure that it's got very well developed display font size changeability and flexibility, and maybe be more concerned about voice-to-text quality and error-proofness.

The best device I had for this was a nearly free Nokia phone running windows mobile version 8. At least for texting and e-mailing - I could dictate live, with nearly error-free capability and predictive dictionary based on my own prior word use. That phone ran circles around my current iPhone 6 running the latest OX. That was one thing MS got right. Other aspects of the user interface were lacking, but voice to text was unmatched by android and iOS devices I used and have used.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The speech-to-text suggestion is a winner!

Thanks everyone for jumping in.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Don

What phone does your wife use? I would recommend a tablet using the same technology since it will be easier to work out how to use it and they will generally share "apps".

If she uses an Apple iPhone then I would recommend an iPad. (I do not have experience with Android phones or tablets). I absolutely love my iPad but as Scott said typing on it is a real pain in the butt. (I need to try out voice to text thing).

If she already has a phone with data on it then there is no need to get a tablet that can take a sim card since when there is no wifi you can hotspot from your phone to your tablet. In South Africa the tablets that do not take a sim card are MUCH cheaper.

Last edited by JoanneCooper; 07/30/18 10:01 PM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
Hi Don

What phone does your wife use? I would recommend a tablet using the same technology since it will be easier to work out how to use it and they will generally share "apps".

If she uses an Apple iPhone then I would recommend an iPad. (I do not have experience with Android phones or tablets). I absolutely love my iPad but as Scott said typing on it is a real pain in the butt. (I need to try out voice to text thing).

If she already has a phone with data on it then there is no need to get a tablet that can take a sim card since when there is no wifi you can hotspot from your phone to your tablet. In South Africa the tablets that do not take a sim card are MUCH cheaper.

Josie,

Scott intrigued me when mentioning 'voice-to-text', that would be ideal for her deteriorating vision. Please keep her in mind as you experiment with it.

She doesn't currently have a mobile phone at all - she's back in the 'stone age' technologically. I hope to bring her up to date.

Last edited by Don Gaynor; 07/31/18 01:30 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being a non tech person with eyesight problems I don't know if she'll get any real benefit from a tablet. It's going to be very confusing for her especially since she's not even familiar with a smart phone.

You said you want Windows. There are only a few Window's tablets as opposed to actual laptops that are full blown Window's PC's. In the tablet world it's iPads and Android. iPads are much more expensive than a mid level Android tablet.

Having said that, my suggestion since you said price is very important, is the Amazon Fire HD 10.1. $149 at Best Buy. It's a 10" tablet running Amazon's version of Android. I bought one a few weeks ago strictly for reading charts on gigs. I have a thread about that in the Tech S.O.S. forum. I put iRealPro and Fakebook Pro on it and they work great. Amazon is big with books including audio books. She may like those and Fire tablets are known for having good speakers for their price. A downside is it's built in camera sucks. My Samsung Galaxy S7 phone takes far better pictures than the Fire does.

I just Googled Android speech to text and there are lots of apps that do that. I'm not familiar with them but if you can dictate an email that would be good. Plus it has Amazon's Alexa which by most accounts is the best audio assistant there is. You simply say "Alexa, find whatever" and she does it. Pretty cool. The onscreen keyboard is big enough for me but with your wife's eyesight, maybe not, you'll just have to check that out.

The thing about tablets is there are lots of optional capabilities like can it make a phone call for example. Most can't but some can if you sign up with a carrier and of course those are more expensive.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with Bob. I have the smaller version of Fire HD. I have my instruction videos and all of my software manuals on it. I also use it for some of my news sources.

Not only will Alexa find stuff for you it can also speak the a question's answer to you. This may be important as you indicated her eye site is failing.

Also you get a big bang for your buck with Fire HD. Not only the Internet and free books it does offer text to speech:

http://djchuang.com/2014/kindles-text-speech/

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,581
Posts734,680
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200