Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#483705 07/27/18 10:08 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been stuck for a while in a lyric-less dry spell, so I figured I'd do an instrumental. I was aiming for a sort of "Ventures" sound without the surf:

Shangri-La

There's not much to say about this one. It's basically the _BARGPOP demo tune with a few minor alterations and a (not very convincing) MIDI guitar lead alternating with the PopCountryBrent RealTrack.

The Usual Suspects:
684:Bass, Electric, PopHalfNotesSync Ev 120
686:Organ, B3, Background Pop Ev 120
405:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120
2499:Guitar, Baritone Electric, Rhythm PopCountryBrent Ev 120
888:Piano, Acoustic, Solo-Accompaniment PopBronx Ev 120
Drums: NashvilleEven8^8
Solo Guitar: Strum Maker IV Acoustic

As always, comments are appreciated.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #483710 07/28/18 12:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A very nice production all round David. I enjoyed my listen very much.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
dcuny #483723 07/28/18 04:08 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice instrumental, although it gets a wee bit too busy at times.

In my opinion I would thin it down a bit, take away the rabble.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

dcuny #483727 07/28/18 05:33 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi David,

Great backing track! Always been a fan of that surf-sound.

What a pity your lyrics are going through a barren time - this would sound fabulous with
some harmony vocals over it. Maybe you could re-visit it at sometime.

Anyway, still loved the instrumental.

ROG.

JoanneCooper #483728 07/28/18 05:45 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JoanneCooper
A very nice production all round David. I enjoyed my listen very much.

Thanks, Joanne.

-- David Cuny

beatmaster #483729 07/28/18 05:52 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: beatmaster
Nice instrumental, although it gets a wee bit too busy at times.

In my opinion I would thin it down a bit, take away the rabble.

It's a bit flabbly in the middle, where the build is more "get louder" by adding instrumentation rather than building as a real solo would go (faster licks, ascending lines, etc.), so that's probably the biggest failing.

Thanks for the feedback! smile

-- David Cuny

ROG #483730 07/28/18 05:59 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
What a pity your lyrics are going through a barren time - this would sound fabulous with
some harmony vocals over it. Maybe you could re-visit it at sometime.

I've got a nice backing track I've been working with for weeks, but nothing's clicking. So I figured I'd focus on something else for a bit.

I haven't cracked how to get a convincing guitar solo yet, but I figured I'd start with this. My son's suggestion was actually for me to have less notes, and add more expression to what's there. I was a bit lazy in that area and relied on the samples to do too much work.

I don't generally use diminished chords that much, and now I've got that stepwise line stuck in my head, where the backing track does an E Fdim/F#m B chromatic movement. So I guess I'll be sneaking in more of those in the future.

Thanks for listening! laugh

-- David Cuny

dcuny #483735 07/28/18 07:28 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

The tone and mix on this are great.

Love the "sound."

dcuny #483736 07/28/18 08:55 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I don't generally use diminished chords that much, and now I've got that stepwise line stuck in my head, where the backing track does an E Fdim/F#m B chromatic movement. So I guess I'll be sneaking in more of those in the future.

I've had a love affair with diminished chords for years - they're addictive!
Ah, but have you explored diminished 7ths yet?

ROG.

David Snyder #483737 07/28/18 09:22 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Love the "sound."

Hi, David.

Glad you liked it! smile

-- David Cuny

ROG #483738 07/28/18 09:51 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Ah, but have you explored diminished 7ths yet?

Hi, ROG.

You mean that lovely stack of minor thirds where every note is (and isn't) the root?

I recall reading that Mozart had a particular love for diminished chords, and some people complained that they gave his music an "oily" sort of feel. grin

Back in my younger days, one of the first good music theory books I read was How To Play the Piano Despite Years of Lessons. It suggested that you could learn a bunch of diminished chords, or be lazy and learn just three diminished 7th chords.

So for good or ill, if I see a dim chord, I'll play a dim7 unless it sounds truly terrible.

I then read Jazz and Commercial Arranging that explained that harmonizing non-chordal tones using diminished 7ths may not be the best option, but it was often the simplest (and by implication, laziest).

So I think of them as "cheater" chords, and probably don't use them nearly enough. wink

They're also a nice way of taking a linear progression and making it sound more jazzy, such as changing:

I / / / | ii / / / | iii / / / | IV / / /

into:

Imaj7 / / I#o7 | ii7 / / ii#o7 | iii7 / / iii#o7 | IVmaj7 / / /

Got any other suggestions on how to use them? I'm all ears!

-- David Cuny

dcuny #483739 07/28/18 09:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I, too, have been aimlessly wondering in lyric-less land. A barren landscape indeed.

I think it sounds good. FWIW, i've very rarely gotten a RT solo that I liked (other than turnarounds) w/o extensive comping.

May the lyric muse return!

Bud

Janice & Bud #483742 07/28/18 10:16 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
I, too, have been aimlessly wondering in lyric-less land. A barren landscape indeed.

Sometimes, it's like the lyric is right there, but just out of reach. And I'll try writing something, and it'll fall so short from what I was aiming for, I wonder if I've ever written a song before. Sometimes it's a bit like chasing a ghost - T.S. Eliot comes to mind: frown

Who is the third who walks always beside you?
When I count, there are only you and I together
But when I look ahead up the white road
There is always another one walking beside you
Gliding wrapt in a brown mantle, hooded
I do not know whether a man or a woman
—But who is that on the other side of you?

Quote:
I think it sounds good. FWIW, i've very rarely gotten a RT solo that I liked (other than turnarounds) w/o extensive comping.

Thanks!

I've had the exact experience - the RTs sound awesome, but need some nudges (or shoves) to focus where you want them to be.

That's why I'm looking at sampled guitars - but they have their own special challenges, because you have to build it from scratch. With RTs, it's more a matter of focusing in on the ideas that the player offers.

Quote:
May the lyric muse return!

Yeah, I'll just keep plugging away.

I'm looking forward from something new from you as well. laugh

-- David Cuny

dcuny #483745 07/28/18 10:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good, David. Good mix.

Interesting that you've used a STRUM ACOUSTIC guitar to get a lead - that sounds like an electric...

I think you are a Studio One user? Did you download and install the VG Sparkle that they were offering for free??

(I often find RT leads that I like with very little comping...)

dcuny #483756 07/28/18 01:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent tune David. Very nice listen. Well done.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
floyd jane #483768 07/28/18 03:58 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Sounds good, David. Good mix.

Glad to hear it. smile

Quote:
Interesting that you've used a STRUM ACOUSTIC guitar to get a lead - that sounds like an electric...

A couple months ago I'd emailed Tracy at Indiginus asking which acoustic would be best for lead, and he suggested Strummaker IV. It comes with two versions - the "strum" interface, and a regular sampled guitar. That sampled guitar has a number of different options, including a simulated 12 string and an "amped" version, which is the one that I used.

Ironically, I just dropped a bunch of money on the Orange Tree Samples sale and got a bunch of acoustic guitars and a really nice electric guitar, but I used the Indiginus guitar here because I find much more playable out of the box.

I was really impressed by the Indiginus Renegade Electric Guitar, but was looking for something with a slightly different sound. But Tracy just recently announced an acoustic version of the Renegade, so I'm really looking forward to that. I don't really need another sampled acoustic, but his stuff is fun to play. smile

Quote:
I think you are a Studio One user?

No, I use Reaper. But the VG Sparkle looks like a cool virtual instrument - a lot like NI Session Guitarist Electric Sunburst, which is what set me off on this virtual instrument buying spree in the first place.

I've still got to get the NI Sunburst at some point, because I've really enjoyed playing the acoustic versions. But right now, I have a bunch of OTS instruments I need use before I can justify spending more money.

-- David Cuny

Scott C #483769 07/28/18 03:58 PM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Excellent tune David. Very nice listen. Well done.

Thanks, Scott. Glad to hear it. smile

-- David Cuny

dcuny #483786 07/28/18 08:51 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice instrumental pop song with nice chording and melody, especially near the end. I would like to hear a vocal version of this, so I really hope you break the spell and find inspiration for lyrics smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

dcuny #483805 07/29/18 12:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice instrumental, David. Midi guitar doesn't sound bad to me, probably wouldn't have noticed it you hadn't said anything. Mix sounds good also.

With the midi guitar VSTi, do you compose the melody on a midi keyboard to make a midi file and then send it to the VSTi? (Sorry if that is a dumb question, I'm totally ignorant on midi stuff :))

Overall a good tune, enjoyed the listen.

jannesan #483826 07/29/18 04:09 AM
User Showcase
dcuny Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jannesan
Very nice instrumental pop song with nice chording and melody, especially near the end. I would like to hear a vocal version of this, so I really hope you break the spell and find inspiration for lyrics smile

Thanks, Janne!

Actually, I think "inspiration" might be part of the problem. I need to be happy with "uninspired" ideas, and craft them into something decent. I think my "critic" filter is set too dang high. wink

-- David Cuny

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199