Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
D
OP Offline
D
My good buddies and I are planning on making music full time with our band, while we’re still young and have the time to do so. Due to our plans, we’ve all had to make sacrifices and basically spend more money for studio time, and trying to rack up as many gigs as possible to get our name out there. Our band plays original compositions that can be categorized under the nu-metal and alternative rock genre, so there’s somewhat of an image to uphold.

Following this trail of thought, money has been tight lately with the expenses of getting some much needed recording sessions at this local studio in town. Our bassist’s girlfriend recently set us up for a gig that pays really well, and we’re only required to play for at least an hour for an event. The only problem is that it’s for this foreign affair matchmaker company, and they want us to play acoustic covers, along with other popular songs that are just not our style. Should we go for it? I don’t want us to sell out, but we badly need the cash if we wanna make this work out.

Veteran
Veteran
Cable network VH1 had a show called "Unplugged" where artists played their hits on acoustic instruments. If Curt Corbin and Eric Clapton can do it, why not you? Successful artists adapt to their audience.

In the instance you cited, you will not be playing for your traditional audience that follows you around from gig to gig. Instead you will be playing for an audience that has no expectations about what you will play. Nothing to loose and a lot to gain. If nothing else you will gain the experience of playing for a non traditional audience.

Have you ever watched the original Blues Brother movie with Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi? Remember the scene where the band was playing at a country bar? One of the hottest rock groups of all time gave their all playing D-I-V-O-R-C-E and the Theme from Rawhide. They adapted to their audience.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
You registered yesterday...it is your first post...in the wrong forum...completely unrelated to Band in a Box.

Why?

Veteran
Veteran
Try the “off topic forum” (last one under General Discussion). There is a lot more activity there than in this forum which is for discussion of recording techniques and gear.

Veteran
Veteran
Since it's already here......

Money greases the wheels of commerce.

With out money nothing will happen. So yeah take that gig BUT..... only if you can pull it off and feel good while playing it. Are you selling out or simply exploring a different side of the music? I used to really love rock and roll until I got offered a job as a lead guitarist in a band that played some rock but mostly country. I soon found out that country was really cool stuff and I was getting paid well to play it.

Your decision. But do it for the right reasons.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran

I have had a similar dilemma lately.

Although I prefer to play Bach cello fugues on classical guitar, one of the largest tech companies in the world that is based here has asked if I can dress up like Barbra Streisand in drag and sing show tunes so they can throw tomatoes at me, laugh and mock before they go back to coordinating real-time facetime pre-meeting go to meeting huddlechats in Slack.

Although it will be extremely humiliating and I hate people like that, I will get paid more money in one day than I have made in my whole life.

Should I do it???

Veteran
Veteran
Follow the money and post the video!

J&B

Expert
Expert
Start your apprenticeship, be honest with the crowd and you will do ok.

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Cable network VH1 had a show called "Unplugged" where artists played their hits on acoustic instruments. If Curt Corbin and Eric Clapton can do it, why not you? Successful artists adapt to their audience.

In the instance you cited, you will not be playing for your traditional audience that follows you around from gig to gig. Instead you will be playing for an audience that has no expectations about what you will play. Nothing to loose and a lot to gain. If nothing else you will gain the experience of playing for a non traditional audience.

Have you ever watched the original Blues Brother movie with Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi? Remember the scene where the band was playing at a country bar? One of the hottest rock groups of all time gave their all playing D-I-V-O-R-C-E and the Theme from Rawhide. They adapted to their audience.

We could adapt to it but I'm afraid we night be able to pull it off. The last thing I want for the band is to get a bad reputation.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

With out money nothing will happen. So yeah take that gig BUT..... only if you can pull it off and feel good while playing it. Are you selling out or simply exploring a different side of the music? I used to really love rock and roll until I got offered a job as a lead guitarist in a band that played some rock but mostly country. I soon found out that country was really cool stuff and I was getting paid well to play it.

I thought about that too. What if this could be our stepping stone to a bigger opportunity

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: David Snyder

I have had a similar dilemma lately.

Although I prefer to play Bach cello fugues on classical guitar, one of the largest tech companies in the world that is based here has asked if I can dress up like Barbra Streisand in drag and sing show tunes so they can throw tomatoes at me, laugh and mock before they go back to coordinating real-time facetime pre-meeting go to meeting huddlechats in Slack.

Although it will be extremely humiliating and I hate people like that, I will get paid more money in one day than I have made in my whole life.

Should I do it???

I would.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
Many, many years ago I sold out and played with and olde time dance band. I ate better than canned soup and baked beans. I felt awkward and as if I was being laughed at. But, what happened was I learnt a heap about playing with others, the sort of thing folks looked for, I got a much better sense of timing and how to recover from dead (flat or disaterous) nights. What did result was I gained respect not only from the old time guys but also other musos that I spent the best part of my life with.

Go for it enjoy it. Learn it well it may be the best thing that ever happened.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker

This is an alternative wording on exactly what I was thinking. If it feels right, go for it. And as others stated, in the future make sure to post stuff like this in Off-Topic smile You'll get more helpful replies that way too!

Cheers,
Deryk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195