Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
OP Offline
P
Hi All,

I'm quite keen to get the BIAB2010 upgrade on USB drive but i'd be interested in any comments regarding the shipping time to the UK and any difficulties regarding customes duty etc.

Kindest Regards,
Pete

Mus Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes me too.

No cheaper download option for the update?

Alternative price for the DVDs?

This looks like a good update with Holds on RealTracks, better rendering time and WAV normalisation.

I want to download it now! ;-)

Veteran
Veteran
There was talk about the # of DVD's. It's close to 20 DVD's. Then there was talk about those with fast broadband to get a no media download at a lesser price. It's almost 7 a.m. in eastern Canada. They get out of bed in another 4 hours, so about 4 to 5 pm GMT you should contact live help.

John Conley
Musica est vita
P
OP Offline
P
Wow,

Appreciate the prompt replies. Make no mistake, the USB option is a great deal but for the transatlantic shipping issue. Because of the potential descent of British customs vultures, it might be cost effective to simply pay the normal price and download (assuming fast broadband).

Cheers,
Pete

P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
I have been researching the potential customs duty to Uk and what I have been told is its going to be value added tax (vat) at 17.5% + £15 handling charge, which works out I suppose approx £35 or about $55 us dollars.

It depends on your luck too, some things can slip through without any charge and I believe dvd's are a lot less than a hardware drive.

Of course if PGmusic were to put a lesser charge on customs declaration then it would be less, but I wouldn't like to ask them to do that.

Paddy

Paddy McGurk,
Liverpool,
Don't mention the Beatles!!
Veteran
Veteran
German customs says that no border taxes (customs and import turnover taxes) are charged, if the total value per shipment does not exceed EUR 22. Otherwise taxes and handling charges apply.

Martin
Mus Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

I have been researching the potential customs duty to Uk and what I have been told is its going to be value added tax (vat) at 17.5% + £15 handling charge, which works out I suppose approx £35 or about $55 us dollars.

Plus $25 shipping as shown on PG's checkout

I have the Everything Pak so $159 becomes potentially $239?

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
If you already have 2009.5, there is a 20GB download-only option available $99.

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=0#Post250288

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Customs attention in the UK is patchy, somethings I have ordered from abroad attracted duty but the PG Hard Drive with the 2009 software was delivered without any charge. I live in hope that Gordon Brown will not try to offset the country's financial problems at my expense this time.

Lyn

Last edited by LynB; 12/12/09 04:30 AM.
P
OP Offline
P
Again, thanks to all that replied, especially Peter himself.

I think i'll probably risk it as I'm very keen on the full inventory of RB tracks.

Merry Christmas All,
Pete

F
Journeyman
Journeyman
F
In my experience, it depends on the courier used. Some couriers automatically apply the duty (often with a handling fee) to all packages where the declared value is over the limit - I think it is a way of earning revenue for them through the fee charged. I recall once being charged duty + a £10 fee by UPS for a couple of Region 1 DVDs coming from Amazon in the states where the identified value was loose change over the £18 limit at the time. Sad to say, the driver who demanded the fee was not over happy at the response he got... Other couriers never apply the duty. I can't recall anything which came via the Royal Mail ever having duty charged.

I don't recall ever paying duty on anything from PG - perhaps those checking the parcels are particularly nice to things coming from Canada rather than the US!!

Brian

A
Apprentice
Apprentice
A
I have been buying BIAB and getting it shipped to the UK since about version 8. Last year I bought the USB drive version of 2009. For the first time in all those year I was charged duty. The duty amounted to about £3.00, but there was a handling charge from the carrier that put the price up to just short of £11.00

Whilst I feel there is a certain amount of a "rip off" about this, I felt the total cost was not unreasonable and spreading it over all the years it was a bargain.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year.

E
Expert
Expert
E
Hi,

Wow.....be happy you live in the UK and not Mexico. Our version of "Duty" is stuffing $50 into the pocket of the postoffice worker just to make sure the envelope get's here. Not to mention "Helping" Customs officers here. I've been having my stuff sent to a buddy in the States, who then repackages the stuff in a plain brown box, even with this it's a crap shoot to see if I ever get my box.

Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Maybe a move to the Lake Chapala area is in order. I played there a few times, and have friends there. Such a large population on Canadians and Americans they don't have those problems often.

But I have a friend with a big sailboat he leaves there, and he has to stash envelopes all over and call and tell someone where to get them so the inspector of white sailboats with 3 masts in harbour on the 3rd Tuesday of the month gets his $50 or else. Then comes the inspector of Sailboats longer than 10 meters and he gets to pay him, and so on.

I did however have to pay $20 bucks US to some cop for permission for our band to play the Mexican National Anthem. That was weird, good thing our host knew that it was illegal, and had a form for the local cop to sign, they could have put us all in jail.

The crazy thing is the Mayor was there, and he collected the 20 from the cop after we were done. Weird.

John Conley
Musica est vita
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Got the usb drive today. Cost to pay was £3 +£11 handling costs total £14.13 about $20 us

Probably something to do with the fact that it was classified as computer software adn valued at $40.

Maybe pg are helping us out here.

Thank you.

Paddy

Paddy McGurk,
Liverpool,
Don't mention the Beatles!!
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Probably something to do with the fact that it was classified as computer software adn valued at $40.

Not sure about UK regulations - in Germany there exists a limit of about $ 32 (or exactly EUR 22) below of which there are no customs taxes and handling charges ...

Martin
F
Journeyman
Journeyman
F
HM Revenue and Customs says:

"If you buy goods online from a country outside the European Union, for instance the USA, Canada, China, Australia you will be charged:

Customs Duty if the amount of duty is €10 (£7) or over
Import VAT if the value of the goods is €22 (£18) and over"

so it looks as if the €22 is EU-wide.

Still a pest though ...

Brian

P
OP Offline
P
In conclusion, thnaks to the help and advice here, I finally pressed the button on this so am looking forward to a major play with Real Band mainly in the New Year.

Merry Christmas all,
Pete

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,563
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200