OP Offline
Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1-5-K6onXo

gets applicably interesting at around 7:30+

Larry

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Cool stuff on the one-off recordings Larry, thanks!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I never heard of THAT before. Pretty crazy.

Something in my chuckles at the idea of producing a single recording and having someone make an mp3 of it. I don't know that it would lessen it at all; as you would still own the original. Thoughts?

The industry is in interesting times.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

Something in my chuckles at the idea of producing a single recording and having someone make an mp3 of it. I don't know that it would lessen it at all; as you would still own the original. Thoughts?

Right? I couldn't help but wonder if he was purposely pretending not to understand that when you buy a Taylor Swift MP3, you don't own the song, you own a license to listen to it whenever you like on your computer or mobile device. Taylor Swift or her label still own Shake It Off, and it's worth 10s of millions, not $1.25, a lot more than the Van Gogh was worth when the artist was still alive.

Buying an MP3 is more like buying a museum pass than a painting, in my opinion.

The part with the one-off records was cool, and reminds me of the dubplates that are common in the reggae/dancehall scene, custom versions of hit songs DJs pay to have recorded with their name in them for use in competitions. They're usually digital copies these days, but used to be cut to a single acetate record that deteriorate quickly if played more than a few times.

Cheers,
Kent
PG Music

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn

His main point is that the value of the item is proportional to the cost of creating the item. While there are fixed costs in creating a recording (paying the artist, physical plant, distribution mechanism), once you're past a certain threshold, the cost per item is exceedingly small.

Taylor Swift argues that "art is rare", which itself is debatable. But digital music is certainly not scarce, nor is Taylor Swift's music. There's some fuzziness in the language, because there's a difference between owning art, and having a copy of art.

Full ownership of an object of art includes duplication rights, which is where much of the value of art comes from for the owner. As consumers, we don't actually "own" much of the art we purchase, because even if we had perfect duplication mechanisms, we have limited duplication rights.

Scarcity can be artificially created - the diamond market is a good example. Creating a one-off vinyl record is another excellent example. The value comes from the fact that what you have isn't what someone else has. Even if you own the physical vinyl, you don't have the rights to duplicate and release the recording.

But if you chose to duplicate it and make it widely available, then obviously the valuation of that object of art would decrease, because it would no longer be unique.

So, no - it would most certainly lessen the value.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny

His main point is that the value of the item is proportional to the cost of creating the item. While there are fixed costs in creating a recording (paying the artist, physical plant, distribution mechanism), once you're past a certain threshold, the cost per item is exceedingly small.

Taylor Swift argues that "art is rare", which itself is debatable. But digital music is certainly not scarce, nor is Taylor Swift's music. There's some fuzziness in the language, because there's a difference between owning art, and having a copy of art.

Full ownership of an object of art includes duplication rights, which is where much of the value of art comes from for the owner. As consumers, we don't actually "own" much of the art we purchase, because even if we had perfect duplication mechanisms, we have limited duplication rights.

Scarcity can be artificially created - the diamond market is a good example. Creating a one-off vinyl record is another excellent example. The value comes from the fact that what you have isn't what someone else has. Even if you own the physical vinyl, you don't have the rights to duplicate and release the recording.

But if you chose to duplicate it and make it widely available, then obviously the valuation of that object of art would decrease, because it would no longer be unique.

So, no - it would most certainly lessen the value.

I am very clear on all that you have said.

I think however, you are misunderstanding what I am saying.

Liken it to owning THE Mona Lisa. Although it has been duplicated many, many times to be displayed at museums over the years. It has also been "copied" in photographs to be displayed in signage, magazines and text-books. I really don't think any of that has lessened the value of the original; now at over $650 million. I think, if anything, because of the duplication and copies, it increased the value of the original. That is all I was saying.

And while the consumer may not own the rights, releasing mp3 versions of a song may create demand for the 1 original. Much like owning THE original of an Elvis song. Distribution made people aware of the song. But there is really only one 1st. That would drive up the value of the 1st one.

Again, I do understand what they are doing and the points you are making. Just offering some food for thought.

Again, I may be 100% wrong on that. All good if I am. Cool share. Thanks for that. I'm moving on.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Larry

I nearly abandoned the video when it suddenly got interesting 75 % of the way through....Great concept.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Regarding "I never heard that before", you have experienced it, just not worded and limited in the way the narrator phrases his theory. Think of being at a live concert when a 'live recording' is done or even someone makes a bootleg recording. You experience the event live but also will be able to relive your live experience from the recorded media. What I found more interesting is an analysis of the narrators theories.

First, his theory of 'one' narrowly defines a concept that such extreme scarcity in itself determines value I submit is incorrect. Hoot N Hollers recording was not a singular experience. There were two occurences simultaneously. The people that were present during the live performance for the recording experienced it live yet they can also repeat that initial experience through the recorded medium. They developed and felt emotions from it. They created unique and irreplicable memories from listening. For each person hearing that live performance, their experience was unique to their perspective of the live performance. If one was present solely as a observer, their reactions would be different from the recording engineer that's focused on the technical and mechanical aspect that in turn is a different perspective of the artists focus and concentration during the creation of the art. Each person hearing the live performance obtain and process whatever emotion, thought and feeling literally on the fly in a first impression sense. When they hear the recorded media, regardless of the scarcity or abundance of the media, they may have new impressions and emotions from listening to the performance as they become more familiar with the piece and discover new nuances they hadn't recognized in earlier hearings, but they will always have the capability to recall and mentally relive that initial experience of the live performance whether or not it was recorded.

The value of a Van Gogh ranges from $500,000 to one selling for $82 million and various estimated value paintings that haven't sold to be $100 million. Much of the value and benefit of art is determined more by the makeup of the community that deals in art ownership than it does in the actual art and it's scarcity. Rich people value art as much for it's monetary investment value as they do for its beauty.

Switch back to Hoot N Holler's one off recordings. Assume for the moment they made 5 singles during that recording session, bid the singles at auction and collectively the sale of the 5 singles totaled $3,000. They in turn, record the 5 songs but archive them normally and press 500 cd's and sell them for $10 each over a period of 2 years at their live concert venues. Now the same 5 songs value is not $3,000 but totals $5,000 and each is still a one time recording. Each method is a one time investment of their time, talent and fixed cost. The difference is CD media is duplicated off the originals thousands of time and can potentially sell millions of times without changing the unique value derived from being a one off recording and generates an automatic income without Hoot N Holler having to invest in creating anything new or provide a product that's a service. The one off single is fixed amount in monetary value and provenance whereas replicating the one off's likely would reduce the value of a one off single for Hoot N Holler.

So, the creation of each type of media, one off single and recording duplication media, could have occurred during that singular performance in the video with nothing changing but the destination of the audio being recorded. The potential difference in income to Hoot N Holler becomes how the media is marketed, not in how it's created. In the case of the single one off recording, income is generated as a service, Hoot N Holler traded time for money. In the instance they created duplicatable product, they invested the exact same amount of time, effort, service (performance) and in both instances, their investment was done only once but the recording duplication media can continue to produce income for many years afterward and that first single investment of time and performance can be replicated to generate income even beyond their lifetime with the income going to their heirs. If the current owner of Van Gogh's "The Starry Night" should sell it, the Van Gogh family gets no royalties, the same would be true for Hoot N Holler should the current owner of a one off single sell their unique copy for $100,000 or a million dollars, Hoot N Holler would not gain any additional income from that sale. At the time Van Gogh painted "The Starry Night", who would have paid a million dollars to witness him painting it?

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
What a really interesting video and topic smile I agree with Kent above, "Buying an MP3 is more like buying a museum pass than a painting" is a gorgeous analogy.

Cheers,
Deryk
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,671
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200