Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
S
OP Offline
S
I am new to the program and have been beating my head against the wall trying to create a sort of backing track for "On the Way Home" (Neil Young / Buffalo Springfield). The problem is the chords have a definite pattern which is more 8th note oriented and has a sort of 4/5 feel but it's definitely in 4/4 time. Nothing seems to work for me.

Here is the first page of the sheet music.

On the Way Home Sheet Music

Seems accurate although I might change that opening pattern to two 8th notes followed by an 8th rest then hold for the remaining 5/8. (If you listen to the original version, it's sort of done this way.)

And here's the song itself I'm trying to comp.

On the Way Home - YouTube video

Any help is appreciated. Like I said, I'm new to this so be gentle.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Sven Golly,

Welcome to both Band-in-a-Box and to the forum!

One way to approach the song could be to make each bar count as half a bar. As an example lets say you determine the song tempo to be around 90 beats per minute (bpm). Change the song timing to 180 and each beat in a bar is worth one eighth note.

When you do this, you'll have to try half time and double time RealTrack settings because chances are 180 bpm styles and RealTracks would not sound appropriate for your song.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
BiaB has a system that allows you to modify the rhythmic duration of chords. Here's the list, where X represents any chord. Notice that some modifiers are placed before the chord (shot, hold, silence), while others are place after (pushes):

• X. Silence
  • X.. Strum, then mute the chord (shot)
  • X... Strum and hold the chord (hold)
  • ^X Anticipate the beat by an 8th note (push)
  • ^^X Anticipate the beat by a 16th note (push)

Here's a video one of the forum members put together to demo each of these: Push, Shot and Hold

So for your example, you could try this for the first four bars (The "/" indicates that no chord is placed on that beat):

Fmaj7 ^Fmaj7 ^Cmaj7... / | F ^F C... / | Fmaj7 ^Fmaj7 ^Cmaj7... / | F ^F C... / |

You probably already know this, but BiaB by default assumes that you're entering in one chord per half beat, so to enter two chords into the first half of the bar, you'll need to seperate them by a comma. So enter the first half of the bar as:

fj, ^fj

That is, an Fmaj7 on beat 1 ("j" is short for "maj7"), and a syncopated Fmaj7 pushed back by an 8th beat on beat 2.

Press Tab to move to the next cell, and enter into the second half of the bar:

^cj...

That is, a syncopated Cmaj7 on beat 3 that's pushed back by an 8th beat, and then held.

That should give you what you want on the guitars... but you'll notice that all the other instruments also follow those instructions. That's not what you want - in the song, the drum keeps pounding out quarter notes without syncopation.

You do have the option of having rest instructions apply to individual instruments, but that's not an option for pushes.

So this is where it gets more complicated, but not terribly so.

There's a Freeze option in each instrument's menu that lets you "Freeze" a track in place, so it doesn't regenerate and change, even if you modify the chords. So you can do the following:

• Build the unsyncopated parts of the song (drums, etc.) first, and freeze those tracks.
  • Go back and add rhythmic modifiers to the parts you want to change (keys, guitars), and freeze them when you've got them doing what you want.
  • Lather, rinse, repeat.

Does this make sense?

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent tutorial David. It would sure be nice if you repeated that post in the Tips & Tricks section of the forum. smile

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Excellent tutorial David. It would sure be nice if you repeated that post in the Tips & Tricks section of the forum

Let's see how it works for Sven first. smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
first thing you can try is to let BB analyze the chords in the Auto Chord Wizard. (ACW)

See if it will capture the song accurately. Even if it gets close, it's easy to edit the results.

Barring that, find the chord charts on the internet.... easy to do.... and enter the chords manually, playing along from time to time to check it for accuracy.

I find that entering the chords manually for a cover song is generally a very quick process. Get the intro.... get the verse.... get the chorus, and it's basically a copy and paste from there, with a few edits for any breaks or solo parts and the ending. The better you know the song, the faster the process goes.

I listened to the song and it's relatively simple.

Understand this.... BB will not ever give you a note for note cover of the song. It can and will give you a generic adaption of the song. Enough so that you can play it convincingly for yourself and audiences in clubs. Unless you can play (or program midi) the parts won't sound the same as TBS played it. The bass part especially is unique for this song. The better you can play the parts that are unique to the song, and use those tracks, the more authentic the results can be.

Several years ago, I did a reasonably good cover of the song Southern Nights for a client. I had to play a lot of the song myself and rely on BB to provide the parts it could do well. That song turned out extremely accurate and faithful to the original.... but it certainly took a bit of work to get it done.

Hope this was helpful.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: dcuny
BiaB has a system that allows you to modify the rhythmic duration of chords. Here's the list, where X represents any chord. Notice that some modifiers are placed before the chord (shot, hold, silence), while others are place after (pushes):

Does this make sense?

Maybe after I read it a few times and play with it. smile Thanks!

Beginners Forum
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
first thing you can try is to let BB analyze the chords in the Auto Chord Wizard. (ACW)

See if it will capture the song accurately. Even if it gets close, it's easy to edit the results.

Barring that, find the chord charts on the internet.... easy to do.... and enter the chords manually, playing along from time to time to check it for accuracy.

I find that entering the chords manually for a cover song is generally a very quick process. Get the intro.... get the verse.... get the chorus, and it's basically a copy and paste from there, with a few edits for any breaks or solo parts and the ending. The better you know the song, the faster the process goes.

I've got the chords entered but it's that 8th note timing that BIAB doesn't like. I could probably do this straight in Cakewalk but I consider this a learning experience for BIAB.

Beginners Forum
S
OP Offline
S
Tried that for grins and it wasn't even close. The vocals clearly overpower the chord structure and that song defies vocal zapping.

Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
Guitarhacker

" Barring that, find the chord charts on the internet.... easy to do.... and enter the chords manually, playing along from time to time to check it for accuracy. "

For those that may require that chord chart ( On The Way Home by Neil Young.pdf )

download >>> https://www12.zippyshare.com/v/fACp4NRZ/file.html

Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I think you will have to build your own style rather than finding success in a premade RealStyle. There are several styles that come close but each style I've tried has failed because several instruments of the style miss the groove and feel of the song.

I didn't encounter any problem with the ACW decoding the chords, key signature and tempo map. It's a straightforward 4/4 song. I did find that the sheet music you provided does not accurately follow the recording starting at bars 7 and 8 and I played with the chords to get different voicings from the guitar.

The rhythm pattern is the issue and what drives the feel and and groove. You need to find a strumming guitar that features a doubled strumming patter. Then match the style of the remaining instruments that closely mimics what you hear on the recording.

Try this progression: Tempo 120 Key: C
Four bar instrumental intro: Fma7,Cmaj7|F/c,C|Fmaj7,Cmaj7|F/c,C

Bar 5 = C
Bar 6 = F
Bar 7 = C,G
Bar 8 = F/c, C
Bar 9 = C
Bar 10 = F
Bar 11 = C,G
Bar 12 = F/c,C
Bar 13 = F
Bar 14 = C
Bar 15 = F
Bar 16 = Dm
Bar 17 = G
Bar 18 = Bb, Fsus
Bar 19 = F
Bar 20 = Bb,Gm
Bar 21 = Bb
Bar 22 = Fma7,Cmaj7
Bar 23 = F/c, C
Bar 24 = Fma7,Cmaj7
Bar 25 = F/c
Bar 26 begins next verse...

I loaded a midi style and muted the instruments and then loaded and used Guitar RealTrack 1770, Electric rhythm and solo'd the guitar.

It's not perfect, but it can give you an idea to start with.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I think you will have to build your own style rather than finding success in a premade RealStyle. There are several styles that come close but each style I've tried has failed because several instruments of the style miss the groove and feel of the song.

I think this is almost more complicated than simply making a MIDI track in Cakewalk from scratch. I wouldn't know now to make my own Style. But thanks for the help. I'll try to digest it when my brain is up to it.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
If MIDI is okay (versus RealTracks), I would find a MIDI file of the song, then use that as a basis for creating a style using the style wizard (which lets you capture riffs as style elements).

Why not just use the MIDI file you downloaded as is in that case? Because once you have the groove as an underlying style you can do things like reharmonize, change up the arrangement, add other elements, and even use the style in other songs.

The style wizard isn't necessarily simple, but it's not too terribly difficult if you follow the instructions in the user manual.

Just a thought, and then you'll have greater insight into the workings of BIAB, which you said was your goal.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
You will never get an accurate cover from BB on songs like this.

You have 3 choices as I see it.

1. Forget BB and use all of your own tracks played live or midi.

2. Create an adaption of the original and don't worry over the details. Use a simple Even 4 or even 8 style in country or rock.

3. Use the basic BB tracks for things you can and use your live tracks to give the song the original groove.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

I've got the chords entered but it's that 8th note timing that BIAB doesn't like. I could probably do this straight in Cakewalk but I consider this a learning experience for BIAB.

Try searching in the stylepicker for the word "push." That SHOULD list styles that have pushes in them. Then start demo'n in the 60's/70's/Rock section to narrow down the results.

Trax

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185