Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have a solo skit I'm working on where I need to be able to trigger my own short sound clips and have them automatically stop at the end of each clip and be ready to play the next one right after that. I'm thinking it will be similar to having drum kit pieces assigned to notes on a midi keyboard only the sound clips/wav files are various lengths.
What can I use for this?
The clips are very short 1 to 6 seconds each. I won't be able hit stop once a clip starts playing and it will be very awkward if I have to change something on a midi controller or computer keyboard in order to play the next clip. I'll need to be able to hit Play on the keyboard or hit a note on the midi controller to play and then automatically stop.
Best I have for now is using my DAW Reaper and having the clips/items lined up with markers so I can hit space bar/play, space bar/stop then hit the numbers at the top of the keyboard to jump to the marker I need and hit play and stop again. But, like I said, I need my hands and feet free once I play/trigger any one of the samples/wav files. Reaper doesn't have a keyboard shortcut/Action for play then autostop without going back to my cursor position, as far as I can tell.
Maybe a stand alone sampler I can load my own files into? I tried SampleTank3 but it seems either my files are too long or some other issue. It only plays the very first wav file on each midi controller note in the group of 4 trial wav files I tested with although each wav file starts with a different note name.
Anyone here got any cleaver ideas?

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
Veteran
Veteran
Depends on how many short sounds you need.

You could make a soundfont and use a small keyboard to trigger from the laptop. Then you can assign any sample to any MIDI note.

Most sample players would allow this.

Or you could use a real keyboard/synth. Many allow loading wave files via USB and creating patches (like drums) that assign different samples to different notes.

Or maybe even set your system to use a certain software as default for sounding wave files and create a bunch of keyboard shortcuts to open given wave files.
This last one would likely have a delay before sounding though.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I've never used sound fonts. Can a sound font be 6 seconds long? Do you know of a sound font player that is capable assigning a midi note or keyboard short cut to a single 6 second font and have it play the font once only then be ready to play the next font via midi note or keyboard short cut?

Veteran
Veteran
Pretty much all of them, if I follow you.
A sound font is a collection of samples arranged in patches/MIDI note assignments.
How they behave is determined by the sound font setup.
Drum patch sound fonts play a different sample for every MIDI note, so seems like this would likely work well in this situation.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Tracktion DAW built in sampler would work but you would have to hit different keys on a keyboard. There's a setting so that it's a one-shot, not a looped playback.

Another option is a footswitch enabled app to play back songs. Your songs will be REALLY short.

Try googling the footswitch option. I think you can probably even set up media player to work this way with a play list and a transcriptionist's USB foot pedal.

Tobias Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks for the suggestions but I finally got it to work in Reaper.
ReaSamploMatic5000 does it for me. Using info from only the first half of Kenny Gioia's video "Trigger a Drum Sample using ReaGate". I set up 4 tracks with ReaSamploMatic5000 as a plug in on each track. Imported individual .wav files (Actually used "import item from arrangement" to each instance/track plug in of ReaSamploMatic5000 . Set the midi start note and end note to be the same notes, Start C-3 and End C-3 for my first sample/track. Start D-3 and End D-3 for my second sample/track, and so on...
As the video describes I set each track input to MIDI: All Midi. Input Monitoring = On. Record button = On "red".
Now the 4 lowest keys on my iRigKeys37 act as my midi triggers for each sound clip. I hit C-3, D-3, E-3 or F-3 and and my samples are triggered individually from beginning to end then stop. The longest sample is 7.1 seconds and no problem.
Note; the playback transport is not used. But, just in case I bump the space bar I have all other tracks in this project muted. I'm not sure if I can delete the actual recordings or not so I'm just leaving them there.
I have closed and reopened the project and everything loads up and works upon reopening.
So my little IRigKeys37 will be connected to my laptop for the skit.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195