Print Thread
Go To
#487912 08/26/18 06:21 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I am not sure where this post belongs. Sorry if I picked the wrong place.

I seem to spend a lot of time working around my ignorance of computer basics and file management. I don't know anything about bit rates or dll files, etc. File management baffles me.

Some knowledge of this stuff seems to be necessary to get things to work. For instance, I can't download Sample Tank and get it to show up in my VST list. I'm sure I am doing it wrong. So I end up calling, they tell me what to do, it works and I am as ignorant as I was.

Can anyone tell me if there are YouTube videos or books on this subject? Maybe computer based recording for dummies? I think it would help me a lot.

Thanks.

2b

i5-3210 laptop. Win 10 Home. 2.5ghz, 64 bit. 6gb RAM. Focusrite Scarlet 2i2.
Veteran
Veteran
There are Tutorial Videos on the PG Music main website, thousands of them.

Happy hunting!

Trax Videos

Last edited by Muzic Trax; 08/26/18 07:41 AM.
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, MT. I went to the PG Main Site and looked under Support. There are 40+ tutorials, many of them archived. None of them have the kind of information I am looking for.

I don't think the BB site will have what I am looking for because it isn't about this program. What I need to understand is how the computer needs to be used to allow the software to be installed and to work. If anyone has any resources, would you please share?

Thanks again.

2b

Veteran
Veteran
Here is a video about how to load a VST in Biab.

Trax

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Sample Tank Available as standalone and 64-bit plug-in for AAX, VST and Audio Units platforms on Mac OS X and Windows
jBridge for Windows

64-bit Version of Biab

Veteran
Veteran
2bsolo,

That is actually an interesting question to ask but difficult to answer.

A good guide to start with is +++ Home Recording for Musicians +++ . The book is in it's fifth edition. That is a good thing because it means the book is regularly updated. That also means you can search for a used third or fourth edition used book. The author, Jeff Strong, is a very good writer with a way of explaining things that make sense.

A website you might enjoy is +++ The Beginner’s Guide to Digital Audio for Music Recording +++ . The website is a nice overview of digital recording.

[url=The Beginner’s Guide to Digital Audio for Music Recording]+++ HERE +++[/url] is a 2013 pdf file used as a handout for an introductory audio workshop designed for school teachers. It's a pretty good reference to keep around.

+++ Basic Guide To Digital Recording +++ A one page overview geared to give incoming college students an overview of digital audio recording.

+++ The Technology Of Music Production +++ starts TODAY! 08-26-2018 A FREE six week, self paced course. Don't let all the talk about paying to get certified fool you. The course is free as long as you elect to Audit the course. Everyone that takes this course brags about how good the course is.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
The following list of books to add to your home reference library has more to do with the art of recording and obtaining good sounds in the harsh home environment than with digital recording but are great reference books to have around.

+++ Guerrilla Home Recording 2nd Edition How To Get Great Sound From Any Studio (no matter how weird or cheap your gear is) +++ This book does an excellent job of explaining how compressors, gates and other effects hardware works.

+++ The Home Recording Handbook +++ The CD that ships with the book has audio samples of various microphones, microphone positions, speaker cabinets and guitar pick up positions.

+++ Mixing Secrets For The Home Studio +++ Great book with a great website.

+++ Recording Secrets For The Home Studio +++

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I seem to spend a lot of time working around my ignorance of computer basics and file management. I don't know anything about bit rates or dll files, etc. File management baffles me.

Find family or a friend to introduce you to the basics by sitting next to you and pushing the buttons. Or look to your local library for free courses. The stuff you are asking about is not intuitive it takes learning.

Good Luck.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I am going to work on this.

2b

Veteran
Veteran
MusicStudent's answer may be the best bet. Having someone sit next to you and having immediate feedback and an exchange of Q&A's can be a real jump start way to learn.

These days, distance from your teacher is not a problem. I have a friend that I've been tutoring along for over a year....he lives 700 miles away. We use TeamViewer, the free software that allows me to connect to and control his computer. He can see first hand how to setup and use both BIAB and RB on his own equipment. Much different than reading a book or watching videos where other people are using setups and equipment different than what you have sitting in front of you.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Mountainside,

I have signed up for the Berklee Course. I am going to read the internet posts recommended and order some books.

The next step is to get a dedicated computer. I noticed your equipment. Where did you find a computer that runs at 4.6?

2b

2bSolo Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
One thing I forgot. Thanks so much to everyone!

Veteran
Veteran
A CPU that fast could possibly be from overclocking, which I don’t recommend because you want stability in digital audio. It also requires above-average heat dissipation. I’ll assume this is normal speed and indeed, it is fast.

The processor speed is important but is only one part of an interrelated system involving cache, cores and other design components. In other words, a computer with a faster processor speed isn’t necessarily faster than another computer with a somewhat slower speed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
This is such a difficult question to answer if someone never worked in an office that required a knowledge of Windows. I ran across an article recently that was titled "5 things to never put on your resume". Number one was saying you know all about PC's and Microsoft Office. Why? It's assumed that EVERYBODY knows this basic stuff, if you don't forget about even applying.

It sounds like you need the book Windows for Dummies. Not a joke, it's available everywhere or just fumble around yourself and ask questions, that works too.

As for what PC to get it depends on what your other needs are in addition to digital audio and how far you intend to go with it. All I can say is this, forget those little netbooks that sell for $295 or so. Nowhere near strong enough. You need a regular PC that runs the full Windows 10, not the mobile version. You MUST have an SSD 256 gig minimum, 500 gig much better. Don't know what that is, look it up. The more RAM the better, I would say 8 gigs minimum but I would go for 16. A system like that will most likely have the Intel i5 processor which is good. A higher end machine will have the i7 and you could conceivably need that if you were to really get into this in a big way. Ok, ok, you don't MUST have a system like this but trust me unless you're really broke on a tight budget, this is what you will eventually want so just get it now.

A 500 gig SSD, 16 gigs of ram with an i5 processor is in the $900-1,200 range. Fry's can sell you all the components and then put the whole thing together into a finished system for $85 labor. I mention this because finding exactly what you want in an off the shelf machine can be difficult. Plus you'll have a clean install of Win 10 that you own, not an OEM version.

You probably don't know what I mean by that. The big names like Dell, HP, etc will put what's known as bloatware with their installs of Windows. It's not really bad or horrible, just annoying. There are all kinds or articles about how to uninstall all that crap so putting a system together yourself and having someone install Win10 for you from Microsoft's USB that you own avoids all that.

I mentioned Fry's as an example. There are all kinds of private computer repair shops around. Any one of those can do the same thing for you. Go in with a shopping list of what you want and they can get it and put the whole thing together for you for the same price as a high end off the shelf system. They may say you get the parts first and bring them in. That's OK, just go to TigerDirect or Newegg and order whatever you need. You don't know what you want yet but you will. The motherboard/CPU combination is where you will start and there's sites and forums that go over them.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/27/18 12:01 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 2bSolo
The next step is to get a dedicated computer. I noticed your equipment. Where did you find a computer that runs at 4.6?

4.6GHz? Could be a typo?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Hi 2bSolo!

My computer runs an i7 7700K processor (the "K" designation is the important part here). These processors normally run at 4.2GHz and with Intel's turbo frequency push 4.5Ghz. I turn off turbo boost, power savings and slightly overclock the processor to maintain a constant 4.6Ghz and stable temperature using a heat pipe cooler.

I've tried to push it even a bit further. At 4.7 it runs most programs OK but under heavy loads its gets flaky (like when doing multi drive virus scans or heavy defrags). At 4.8 it starts effecting programs and at 4.9 its mostly unusable. From the data output that I'm seeing, its more of a temperature issue rather than a voltage issue. My heat pipe just doesn't have the capacity to handle the increased demands.

Others have pushed the "K" series up to 5GHz and they claim that it's stable. They say they're doing stress testing but I'm not sure how long they run these tests. I run mine for 24 hours straight. I do know that they need water cooling to hold the temps down.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hello Jeff,

You are correct, overclocking is based on temperature and if your CPU allows for overclocking.

Going from 4.5 to 4.9GHZ may seem incremental, but that is a huge boost to performance. At this point, your bottleneck is most certainly cooling. If you ever check out a overclocking competition (I'll post a link below) they use liquid nitrogen to keep these units from exploding. Now, in a more practical sense, you can turn to water cooling or a large copper or silver/nickle heatsink. Back in 2009 I had a AMD Opteron that I clocked from 2.6 to 3.2 GHZ Stable, this was mostly due to Opterons being server chips designed for high voltage, but I was also using a pure copper heatsink that weighed about 3lbs.

Please keep in mind that guys running a 7700K at 5GHZ are most likely only doing this for benchmark results. It greatly reduces the life of your CPU, not to mention you run the risk of frying something. So Overclock at your discretion.

Water cooling has come a long way, here are some of the 2018 favorites: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-cpu-coolers/

Check out the 2017 OC competition here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrsN3r_gVJU

C-sharp when you cross the street… or you’re going to B-flat.

Mikke - PG Music
Veteran
Veteran
Mikke, it’s good to know at least one person at PG Music understands modded builds.

I haven’t been in any recording studio that would even consider overclocking. That’s for gaming and experimenting, not making money in the studio based on reliable equipment.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,580
Posts734,678
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200