Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I've been using Yahoo Mail for many years but it seems to have become unreliable, a lot of my outgoing messages are not being received by my contacts.

I would like a program that will indicate that my message has been received and read.

I attempted to download MS Outlook for it's free mail program but I couldn't create an account since I don't have a a cell phone number.

Is there a free program similar to Outlook that you can recommend please?

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Don, have you looked at Gmail? I switched to that from Yahoo about ten years ago, when spam became overwhelming. Gmail is perhaps the most developed free email in terms of usage and add-ons.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
+1 on Matt's comment. I also still use my old Hotmail (now Outlook) and Yahoo.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Veteran
Veteran
I use gmail predominantly, and interface with it both from the web interface, but also using Thunderbird as muy web client (you could use Outlook also). I don't recall seeing read receipts as a feature in the web interface (but I could have missed it), but you can certainly request them when using a desktop interface such as Thunderbird or Outlook.

I still have a couple of Yahoo accounts, but rarely use them. Of course, Yahoo now belongs to Verizon, since they bought them out.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Then Verizon email was taken over by AOL so who knows where an original Yahoo account is now. Since my primary email was Verizon for years I use AOL now as Verizon so nothing's changed. That's sounds confusing, to clarify AOL allows Verizon users to keep the Verizon address but AOL handles it. I could also create a new AOL account but I use Gmail too and that's enough accounts for me. I've not seen a "received/read" notification but maybe it's available.

As for a cell phone, Gmail asked for my number because they can sync up the phone to the PC but I don't know if it's an actual requirement to have a cell phone to use Gmail.

I decided to take my own advice and just Goggle the question "must you have a cell number for Gmail?" The answer appears yes BUT as always there are hacker workarounds which are always created by tech nerds that drive old folks crazy but the kids love it. Here's what I found and good luck:

https://techviral.net/create-gmail-without-phone-number/

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/27/18 11:11 AM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Then Verizon email was taken over by AOL so who knows where an original Yahoo account is now. Since my primary email was Verizon for years I use AOL now as Verizon so nothing's changed. That's sounds confusing, to clarify AOL allows Verizon users to keep the Verizon address but AOL handles it. I could also create a new AOL account but I use Gmail too and that's enough accounts for me. I've not seen a "received/read" notification but maybe it's available.

As for a cell phone, Gmail asked for my number because they can sync up the phone to the PC but I don't know if it's an actual requirement to have a cell phone to use Gmail.

I decided to take my own advice and just Goggle the question "must you have a cell number for Gmail?" The answer appears yes BUT as always there are hacker workarounds which are always created by tech nerds that drive old folks crazy but the kids love it. Here's what I found and good luck:

https://techviral.net/create-gmail-without-phone-number/

Bob

Thanks, Bob.

I've switched to GMAIL and it seems to be working alright. I had hoped for an app that would show when my message had been read but a reliable email program will take the suspense out of my daily communication chores.

Being mute, email is my sole means of communication with my wife and she wasn't getting my messages.

Thanks to all who tossed out a lifeline yet again.

S-O-L-V-E-D-!

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I've switched to GMAIL and it seems to be working alright. I had hoped for an app that would show when my message had been read but a reliable email program will take the suspense out of my daily communication chores.

If you download an email client (such as Thunderbird) and set it up to access your GMail via IMAP - it's a choice, you don't have to know the details about it), you can then set Thunderbird to ask for read receipts and you'll get them. I've been doing that for a long time (with multiple service providers now).

Just another option.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Veteran
Veteran
Read receipts are common in most mail clients, though you may have to hunt for it in the settings (go spelunking as we call it at work).

There's usually a path but you may need to discover it!

/edit
OOPS!
From a search:

If you’re a current user of Gmail, you might be glad to know that there’s an option to include read notification or a Gmail read receipt on each of your emails. You can also find help on requesting or returning a read receipt.

But unfortunately, that’s about where the good news ends. You see, Gmail is plagued with a variety of problems with the read notification (or Gmail read receipt) service.

First and foremost, it’s not available in most versions of Gmail. If you have a personal account (that is, one that ends with @gmail.com as opposed to @yourcompany.com or @yourschool.edu), you don’t have the feature to receive a Gmail read receipt.

It’s simply not included unless you’re using Gmail in combination with another email service.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Be aware that the recipient can turn off the sending of a read receipt.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Well of course, which is why I hate them so much
I have to deny it not accept it .. but this seems common behavior in many email clients

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I just read the instructions and they went right over me wee Irish 'ed!

Meanwhile, I sent a test message to my wife and it went through okay. That was our main goal anyway. I will sort out the advanced setup later. At least I know it's possible.

Veteran
Veteran
That's great Donny. I'm far from an expert on various email programs but I started using Gmail when I read they probably have the best spam filters around. And AOL for that matter seems very good too. I used to get a ton of spam with my old Yahoo account and when I say old I'm thinking 10-12 years ago.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
There is a really nice free email client “eM Client” by name. It is very easy to set up and use. You can easily point it to any email server.

Reading some of the comments about read messages etc I had a chuckle about an incident some years back. The CEO of a very large company insisted that all staff have an automatic reply to indicate absence from the office. Christmas Eve he broadcast a message to all staff to wish them Merry Christmas. It seems he got about 40,000 replies which flooded the mail server.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/27/18 10:34 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Veteran
Veteran
I switched to Gmail.

It's been several years now and I love it.

Previously, I would use the ISP's email client.... the problem was, every time the company changed hands I had to redo all my emails..... nope.... done....

GMAIL.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I've been using Gmail for I think 8 years now - always worked splendid for me. Much more reliable than Yahoo, which I used previously - at least in my experience.

Cheers,
Deryk
Veteran
Veteran
The advantage of a gmail is that your email address is portable, versus a dedicated mail host (for example, I had email with verizon.com for many years, but that disappeared when I moved from Virginia to Florida and Verizon isn't one of the available internet providers).

After I moved, I had to go into all the various sites for software I own and stores I shop from, etc, and change my login credentials, because I no longer had access to my previous email address (which is often needed to do things like change password and verify identity).

Anyway, everything is now registered with my Gmail address, except a handful of vendors who never responded to my change request. It's a pain to do when you have hundreds of sites at which you are registered.

John

Expert
Expert
What I teach folk is to have 2 or more email addresses. One that is given out for important stuff, things you really want and another you use on sites that require an address. Basically an email address that attracts the rubbish, Facebook messages, advertising etc.

I use an email client for each address. On the email client that is pointed to the “rubbish” email address you need the ability to be able to delete multiple messages. This email setup you look at once in a while check if there is anything you want and do a major delete.

On the other you use it daily or whatever and you a missing a lot of rubbish you don’t want. If there is something going to the rubbish email you consider important it is usually easy to change the address.

With a good email client you can point it to both (or more) email addresses I choose not to for ease.

My thoughts

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 08/28/18 12:49 PM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,513
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195