Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Due to some things in my life that I can only minimally control, particularly my health (eyesight) I made the difficult decision over the weekend to NOT make the move to RV life. I had a grim premonition that I may some day no longer be able to drive that RV given the deterioration of my eyesight. I can still see fine TODAY, but I have no way to know for how long I will have that luxury. I don't want to be in a desert somewhere near Albuquerque and suddenly find myself no longer comfortable driving that RV around, and my support system be in Ohio, over 2000 miles away. So I listed the RV for sale and worst case I take a huge bath selling it (or just keep paying for it), as they do not typically have great resale value. I DO plan to relocate to somewhere with a better average annual climate, likely west central North Carolina, and buy a house there. IN fact I have started looking and will go for a few days in October to visit a friend and look at the area where they lie. It saddens me that I have to abandon this dream, as I usually don't give up on anything, but reality is a cruel mistress and you have to play the cards you were dealt.

I'll now go back to my quiet corner.

Last edited by eddie1261; 09/06/18 10:34 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Hi Eddie

Sorry about your dream but glad you may have found an alterative.
I had a similar dream myself about 15 years ago a couple of years after loosing my wife to the big C, I thought I would sell up, and go and live on a converted cannel barge. Again pending health and old age problems, plus the difficulty of finding suitable moorings with electricity to run my keyboards etc and in the end decided to stay in my beloved 250 year old stone cottage full of old world charm, oak beams inglenook fireplace etc, and fond memories. Still a healthy helping of new technology to help me a long.
Still going strong,
Have A Magic Mushroom On Me!
Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
mushrooms.gif (262.61 KB, 246 downloads)
Last edited by Mike Head; 09/06/18 09:22 AM.

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can understand your situation Eddie. I grew up not far from you. The Ohio winters started to bring me down so I went south. Its amazing that once you get south you go southern fast...really fast. Eliminating winter from your life has a very positive effect.

But a bit of a warning. I moved south then south some more and ended up in southern Florida...a bit too far south! Summers last 6 months with temps and humidity over 90 and winters with millions of snowbirds on infrastructure made for populations far less.

At the beginning of this year, I took a page from your book and moved to the western South Carolina. The western parts of North and South Carolina are truly remarkable places. The people are great, the scenery beautiful and the temps mild.

There is a bit of a downside here though. Live music is mostly non-existent and I find that I now have to drive almost an hour to get decent health care as compared to Florida.

I think you'll find your October trip down this way to be truly eye opening.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Eddie, I was thinking about you recently, wondering how your RV plans were progressing. Thanks for the update.

I identify with your concerns about eye problems. Some days I wake up and one of my eyes is wayyy too blurry to focus, and it happens randomly out of the blue. If I woke up and BOTH eyes were that blurry, it would indeed be game over as far as driving is concerned.

May I ask where you are looking in NC? I love the state, but there are plenty of towns that were built around a single industry, and when that industry moved away, so did the town's prosperity. On the up side, retirees don't need a job, and real estate is cheap. On the down side, poverty leads to crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5WMGe-eJP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyMIhXDGMeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfIB3uIaBQ

Shoot me a PM and let me know when you'll be here. (Not a good idea to say in public forums when you'll be away from home)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
You know, it's a funny thing, but this year marked 62 years of music for me, and anymore I don't even care about it as far as going out and seeing bands play. I was always in really good bands and when I see a band play I spend the whole time thinking "They aren't as good as any of my bands were" or "Doesn't anybody write songs anymore? I know somebody is writing because there's always new stuff but nobody ever seems to play anything but the 'cliche set list of the month' shared by every band in a 150 mile radius." So I don't really bother. Add in that I am 40 years older than most of the people in a room and that I don't drink, and those years are simply behind me. So for my personal taste and situation, live music isn't even really a consideration as I "city hunt". The attraction of being 30-40 minutes from the Smoky Mountains is a bigger attraction for me now. All that fall color, etc....

I tried Florida once, and like you I decided it was too hot there. Or course I moved, to Clearwater, on July 1st, but I never said I was smart..... It was 98 and humid at 8am!!! I stayed in Florida for 10 minutes and came back to Ohio!

This change in plan is just a detour back to where I was 2 years ago before the RV bug bit me. I'll keep everybody posted.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Eddie, after much research, my late brother moved to Asheville NC in 2010. He chose it for the location and climate, but also for its thriving arts scene and good hospital, and was very happy there. Something to consider.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
snip ... Its amazing that once you get south you go southern fast...really fast. snip ... I think you'll find your October trip down this way to be truly eye opening. Jeff

Jeff, I'm crushed. You're COMPLETELY destroying the South's reputation for doing things s-l-o-w. laugh I agree about the trip being an eye opener.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Hey Eddie, after much research, my late brother moved to Asheville NC in 2010. He chose it for the location and climate, but also for its thriving arts scene and good hospital, and was very happy there. Something to consider.

The cities I am considering are 70-80 miles from there!! My friends there used those EXACT words "thriving arts scene".

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm currently vacationing in Robbinsville, NC, and we're having a good time. Would not recommend it four living here, but for a getaway, it's wonderful and beautiful.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie, sorry to hear about the change of plans but as you describe the cause it makes sense. If you do relocate to NC, there is a designated city for you....Cary, otherwise known as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
Eddie, sorry to hear about the change of plans but as you describe the cause it makes sense. If you do relocate to NC, there is a designated city for you....Cary, otherwise known as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.

hahahhahaa! That's true (how did you know that, Scott? That's somewhat of a local joke)

but NC has been a destination of Yankees for quite some time, and most of our cities and towns have a large presence of people who came here from the north. It ain't just Cary (although the acronym works well for that town)

It would be harder to make up an acronym for Greensboro, Winston-Salem or Chapel Hill.

(yes, that was a challenge. Go for it. )

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some Southerners say there are two types of Yankees. There's Yankees smile and there's d**n Yankees eek .

Yankees come down to visit then leave cool . D**n Yankees come down to visit then stay wink !

Me: exit stage left while doing the ol' duck and run for cover! crazy

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wherever I land, there are 3 main criteria. 1 is a city with reasonable proximity to the Smoky Mountains. If I am going to move, I want to move where there is stuff to see (while I can). 2 is the proximity to a VA medical support system. I know that Asheville is one of the higher ranked VA hospitals. Charlotte is the same distance from where I am looking as is Ashevllle. 3 is that is has to be a city safe enough to where I can sleep without my AR-15 in the bed next to me. I am getting tired of rolling onto that thing!

I also thought about Knoxville TN. That would put me the same distance from the home town as the Spindale/Forest City area AND just 2.5 hours from Nashville.

It's so early in the process I still have no idea. I do want to move from Ohio but it has to be a step up. I don't want to move from one ghetto to another.

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Some Southerners say there are two types of Yankees. There's Yankees smile and there's d**n Yankees eek .

Yankees come down to visit then leave cool . D**n Yankees come down to visit then stay wink !

Me: exit stage left while doing the ol' duck and run for cover! crazy

And no matter how long you live here, you never lose your status as an outsider. You're the d@mn yankee who just moved in (35 years ago)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
So true Pat. Of course the slow pace of the southern drawl completely drives many Northerners crazy. shocked

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry - I fell asleep reading these replies.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I do want to move from Ohio but it has to be a step up

Pretty much anywhere in the US would fit that criteria ..

/ducks and runs
smile

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
Quote:
I do want to move from Ohio but it has to be a step up

Pretty much anywhere in the US would fit that criteria ..

/ducks and runs
smile

Anywhere but where That School Up North is....

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
At least you still have your sense of humor.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

In east TN consider Chattanooga. Chattanooga is much prettier than Knoxville in my opinion. We lived in that area for over a decade. It's location is really great because it's not far at all to drive to Nashville, Knoxville, Asheville, Dollywood and Smokies, or Atlanta. Check out the nearby city burbs and towns like Hixson or Cleveland TN or Ft. Oglethorpe, Georgia. I think you would really like the area. One of my best friends when I lived there had relocated from Ohio. Good hospitals and medical care and slightly lower cost of living than Knoxville too.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,560
Posts734,422
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185