Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
N
OP Offline
N
Hello, i am a singer, guitarist.

I recently bought in ear (wired) + Ld systems hp1.

Also i have a mackie fx12 ( not the pro) but this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mix12FX--mackie-mix12fx-mixer-with-effects

As you see there is no AUX.....So..

How i am gonna connet my in ear? Do i need another mixer?

Please help smile

Thanx in advance

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You can monitor with either the headphone output or the CR (Control Room) outputs and they can be different mixes from, and are not affected by, the main output settings. I did not look at the manual but it appears you do have an AUX send that is labeled FX send and the mix would be controlled by each channels Fx knob. The specs list on the Sweetwater site shows this is a post send and return with TRS I/O but it has send only in parentheses which means a return would have to come back to the mixer on a unused channel.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/11/18 09:40 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hey there Narcsoul,

This is for you in-ear monitoring/ Headphones, correct?

In that case, you would want to get a Insert Y-Cable

Looking from the Pre-Amp, it seems you would need a 2 XLR Male Y to TRS 1/4"

This would go from your headphones out to your mixer, into your pre-amp, then out your headphones.

You'd probably want to keep your FX Send free as it also operates as your only AUX Send on this mixer. Unless you wanted independent channel control, then go FX out.

Luckily a Y cable will only be a couple of bucks. You can get away with a TS end, but a TRS is the same price and will give you a ground.

C-sharp when you cross the street… or you’re going to B-flat.

Mikke - PG Music
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I googled for a pdf of the mixer you have, Mackie mix12fx with effects. It has a block diagram of the signal path.

The OP should be able to route a signal to the IEM's without need for a Y split cable.

The Main Mix outputs and Tape outputs are the same and and the output levels of both are controlled by the main mix Fader. The LED meters reflect the signal level for these shared outputs.

The Control Room outputs and headphones outputs are the same and the output levels are controlled by the CR/Phones level knob. The two switches for TAPE route either the Main Mix or Tape Input to the CR/Phones outputs determined by which switch is pressed.

All four outputs are the same mix (Main MIx)and is comprised of your channel fader position of each mono and stereo channel. The Main and tape outs levels are controlled by the Main Mix Fader. The CR Out and Phones 1/4" jacks are also Main Mix and the output level is determined by the CR/Phones knob. You only have level control of the Main Mix output between the two routing options but each option provides two connections. 1/4"-rca for main mix or 1/4"LR - 1/4" TRS for CR/Phones.

The Fx Send is a mono signal Post Fader of the four mono channels and a summed mono signal of the 4 stereo channels and are affected by the channel fader position, EQ settings, Low Cut Filter and the Gain Trim. Panning does not work on this signal. As with any AUX send, the amount of signal routed to the FX Send connection is determined by the FX knob for each individual channel. The internal FX's are not routed to the FX Send connection but are routed to the internal FX engine in parallel. To send a signal to the FX Send connection but not to Main Mix, turn off the internal FX by turning the FX to Main knob all the way off.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Expert
A cable like this; http://hosatech.com/product/cms-100/
Connect it from the mixers CR/headphone jack the the HP1 Aux input.
Very important; Be careful you do not damage your ear drums. The LD HPA1 system does have built in limiters but I would not trust that on it's own to protect your ears. It's probably designed to reduce audible distortion but is not likely to protect your ears from damage.
Set your mixer up as you would for live sound performance. Connect an MP3 player to one of the channels and get your sound going through the mixer to you normal speakers.
Turn the headphone/control room knob all the way down to start with. This is a safety measure.
Connect the cables large end 1/4" TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) to the mixers headphone jack.
Plug the other end into the HP1 3.5mm TRS AUX input.
Plug your IEM cable into the HP1 output.
Hang the IEM over your ear but don't put it in your ear yet. This is also a safety measure.
Turn the HP1 Volume knob to around 1/2 way (12 o'clock)
Hold the IEM close to your ear while you slowly rotate the mixers CR/headphone knob. When you hear sound in the IEM back off the mixers CR/Headphone knob.
Put the IEM in your ear and slowly turn it up again.
Now try it with a microphone as you speak or sing. Again, start with the volume very low.
With this mixer and the simple way I explained you are going to get the same mix in the mains and in your IEM. This is usually suffice for the intended purposes of having a small mixer.
I don't currently use IEMs myself but I personally want to hear in my monitor the very same mix that is in the mains. I perform solo with vocals, acoustic guitar and backing tracks. Hearing in my monitor what is in the mains gives me confidence of what my audience is hearing. Much easier to control this way as a solo artist. Or, even as a duo or 2 - 3 singers this still makes sense to me.
When playing with a bigger band and lots of instruments it might be important to have individual monitor mixes or just vocals and a lead instrument in the monitors/IEMs.
Hope this helps.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Follow Charlie’s advice. You have three different ways to send signal to IEMs. The FX send would let you mix the inputs to the mixer out to the FX out much like IEM mixing to aux out bus like a bigger mixer.

Expert
Expert
Yes, whichever way works for you. Why not try both and decide? I just went the simple route.
"I think" when you plug into the FX send it will automatically by-pass/cut-out the mixers built in FX. Which, if so, would be a bummer 'cause the FX is one of the main selling points of these little mixers. But, I did not read the manual. I am just going by 35+ years experience which is not always up to date with the latest technology.
I also assume that these little mixers are mostly for running sound from the stage - no sound man situation. If you have a sound man doing front of house and/or monitors then you will likely prefer to have that person make sure your house sound stays mixed for the audience and your IEMs are mixed differently for yourself, which with this mixer would give every musician the same monitor mix anyway. If that works for you then Charlie's and rockstar_not's advice works.
My suggestion allows you to hear in the IEM closer to what your audience is hearing. That means you are the FOH man, singer, musician, monitor man, etc,...

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Tobias is correct. The FX send output is a mono signal that bypasses the internal FX engine. It is a mono signal regardless if the signal comes from a mono channel or a stereo channel. On a stereo channel, the FX tap is a sum of the LR signals post fader.

The Mixer outputs the Main Mix from the Main Mix LR outs and the Tape Out. These signals are exact duplicates, including the levels of the gain and fader settings. It can also send the Main Mix to the CR outs and the headphones out or you can switch so the CR and headphones output the Tape In signal. This is switch selectable.

The FX outputs a mono mix determined by the FX knobs on each channel. This is a separate mix from the Main Mix in levels. The FX output is affected by each channels gain level and fader level. It is also affected by the EQ and Low Cut settings.

This mixer will definitely work with IEM or stage monitors or as an output to a recording device. The OP just has to decide if he wants to 'hear' the Main Mix with or without effects or an FX mix without effects. He MAY be able to return the FX send to a L (mono) input of a spare stereo channel to use the internal FX engine but it's doubtful since he will be adding the FX send from this channel to the FX send output and likely will create feedback. He will have to test it to determine if it works. I doubt it.
If he wants to hear the FX's in his monitor mix, he will need to use the Main Mix.

Expert
Expert
I glanced at the manual. It appears the FX Send jack is pre internal FX unit. But I did see anything about tapping Fx Send or Return causing the internal FX to shut off, which is what is was implying with "by-pass/cut-out". So you might be able to blend external FX with internal FX if they happen to be parallel. ( Not the topic of this thread of course.) I do see how this could be minimally useful to blend them. Perhaps add external reverb to internal delay or something. But then that's going to affect every channel.
To answer part of the OP question. I don't think you need a different mixer. If you did you'd have to go significantly bigger to get separate aux sends and more switches for Pre/Post and Channel Assigning sort of functions. Personally, I just don't find all that very useful for a solo artist or small band that runs sound from stage or solo studio technicians making home brew music.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Looking at the block diagram (P9 in the manual), The Fx bus signal routes to the internal Fx and the Fx send output. The internal Fx input and the Fx send are the same signal at the same levels. The Internal Fx routes to the Main Outs only.

For returning the Fx signal back into the mixer:

Tape In (a line level signal) can be routed to the Main Outs directly or
to the CR/Phones Output. Tape In has no routing to the Internal Fx.

Mono Channels Can simultaneously route to the LR Main Outs and the Fx Bus.

Stereo Channels can simultaneously route to the LR Main Outs and the Fx Bus.

The Internal Fx unit's on/off status and level is determined per channel by the position of a channels Fx knob and the Fx to Main knob.

So, any signal or combination of signals fed to to the Fx bus from any Channel, out the Fx send and routed by any of the Channel input types (Mono, Stereo), will route the Fx Send signal of that Channel input back into the Fx bus. I think that resultant summed Fx signal could cause a feedback loop Because the Fx send knob of that Channel will have to be turned up to feed a signal to the Fx Internal Fx unit.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/17/18 02:11 AM.

Expert
Expert
I should have looked closer. I see now that there is no dedicated FX return jack. Bummer. Has to go back to a channel. Well I guess that means you will only be adding your external FX to the channels you route it back to and that's a good thing. (If it doesn't cause a feedback loop.) But even then it won't parallel with the internal FX either. So that's kind of a bummer again.
BTW, did you see anywhere that tapping the FX send will shut off the internal FX? I think that would be a best situation but I did not find that as I glanced through the manual so I assume either I missed it, they left it out of the manual, or, it will actually allow you to blend the two with the FX To Main knob. Assuming that is "Internal FX To Main" only since there is no dedicated FX Return. That would make sense, I guess.
Anyway, It looks like a decent little mixer. I sort of keep my eyes out for a replacement mixer. I've been using a Yamaha MG124cx as my desk top playback/control room and all-round utility mixer for a good 10 years or longer. Lots of use and no failures but you never know. It sits vertical on a folding guitar stand to the left of my screen. Takes up a lot of space and I never use any where near all the channels. But, it does have all the routing functions I need and use. I figure I'll downsize if it ever goes bad beyond a reasonable DeoxIT clean up.

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
"BTW, did you see anywhere that tapping the FX send will shut off the internal FX?"

Tapping the Fx send does not shut off the internal Fx. The internal Fx is either turned off by having all of the Channel Fx knobs turned completely down and/or the Fx to Main turned completely down. The design intent seems to be to have the Fx Send dedicated to an external Fx and return to a clear Channel. The Fx Channel knob for the Channel used for the return should have the Channel Fx knob turned completely turned down to prevent feeding that channel back into the internal Fx's unit and likely cause feed back.

It is a nice unit and should work well getting signal out to IEM's for the OP.

I'm also a big fan of the Yamaha MG mixers like you have. They are real workhorses.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 09/18/18 03:28 PM.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199