Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I know what Alan means ... I must sound like a broken record whenever I review one of your songs, pretty much run out of new things to say.

Excellent song, and that's the most important thing of course so I'll start there. Lyrics run true and keep your attention, and the vocals are great.

But man, the production! Just a joy to listen to on the headphones, the way you have everything panned. Everything is sitting in its own space, each instrument can be heard clearly and nothing is stepping on top of anything else. As good as it gets IMHO.

Very, very good, enjoyed!

Thanks, Dave. When I did the tracks for this, I had been listening to some sparse-production-type music, so figured I try it that way...

Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
don't be surprised if tomorrow finds me
nowhere to be found
i've had enough of this settling feeling
and too much of this town

nice!!

Another floyd classic. What more can I say?
beautiful and the chorus is now stuck in my head eek laugh

Alyn

ps no sound from Monty this time laugh

Thanks, Alan! (We'll get something for Monty to bark about next time around...)

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
How nice is this? Great song sung with feeling, the backing was simple, but not without those magic dynamic changes that keep the ear engaged enough to let the lyrics sink in. Excellent work, and much enjoyed.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd,

This is an amazing song and performance...

I love the production and your delivery - you are bringing your absolute best on this.

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Floyd, your work is always so professionally done, in every respect--much to learn from listening to your contributions!

I was most struck by the creative/imaginative lyric pictures, especially: "highway in my shoes"--that one is outstanding, and "white line lullaby" is great, too.

May I offer one suggestion? I think that using "lesson" to end that line in the 2nd verse is a bit awkward..I don't have an alternate suggestion, but that's the only improvement I could offer.

Loved your use of BIAB RT's and the style...thanks for showing us "how it's done"!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
Another really enjoyable song. So much good stuff coming out of here recently and this one is no exception

Thanks for having a listen, Graham.

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Really nice work on this one! Your vocal delivery is really strong here, and the lyrics are top notch as well. A really fine example of songwriting. It hits hard, and managed to sound heartfelt whilst also being catchy.

You should be proud of this one - thanks for sharing smile

Appreciate that, Deryk...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another great song that carries all the characteristics that go with a Floyd song!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Painting some pictures for us with the lyrics Floyd (You always do). Such a pretty song that just reaches out and grabs the listener. That pre-chorus is awesome! Very memorable melody that hangs around for quite a while! It's all appreciated by me! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The hall marks of cool - the voice, the weariness, a strong narrative and ace arrangement.
Everything I expect when I click on a floyd jane song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Soulful! A brilliant write and your vocal is top notch!

Mixing is superb.

The thing that shines through it all is the song!

Lawrence - I really appreciate that - coming from you that means a lot...thanks.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Poetic, poignant, melancholy, and beautiful!!!! A sweet combo of heart and craft. The track is the perfect "band"...sparse with some beautifully hung decorations in just the right places (mandolin and acoustic nylon tracks sound custom). Too many great lines to mention...every one! Particularly like this:

nowhere to be found

That is art in language!!

It seems that every FJ song becomes one of my top 5 FJ songs...the great songs keep getting displaced by greater ones! Along with JT's My Traveling Star (think that's the title), this becomes one of my favorite of a huge bunch of great travelin' songs. You vocals get better all the time Floyd! WONDERFUL!!!!

Take care. Greg

Greg - thanks for such a wonderful review! Always nice to get writing kudos from a strong writer...

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
This is simply fantastic on every level. Enjoyed this.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
Another home run Floyd. Really liked the mandolin. As a cool production. Super vocal and backtrack. Just a lovely song

Scott - thanks for your continued support...

Originally Posted By: 44kfl
Great write and a solid performance
love the opening verse

my ear (left one is pretty much all I have) is confused by the chord
and/or chord/bass sound on the word clue (my stories s/b a clue)
I listened to the first verse again and it sounded clear to me
This is no biggie, I wish there was a way to edit notes out like you would in midi
cause on guitar with a slash chord many times a partial chord sounds better, less cluttered.
If you don't hear it, that's fine then it's only me, I've encountered some problems with this on my songs.

All this doesn't matter because it's a great write and a solid performance.

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. Always pleased to know you like a song.

The slash-clash that you are catching is a ever-present issue - sometimes it is noticeable, sometimes not - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It occurs when I walk up from an Am (or more typically an Am7) to a C - using a slash chord. I would play an Am7/B on guitar, but when I put that in BIAB it seldom sounds the way I want it to. The acoustic guitars don't play it - they don't add the /B - which is essential to the sound I want. They generally WILL play a C/B - so that is what I use there. Often that gives the sound I'm looking for, but occasionally, there is a bit of a clash - which must be what you are hearing there (I am not catching it)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"the soul of a bandit, a rodeo heart
the highway in my shoes
one eye on the front door
a suitcase full of blues
nowhere to be found
i've had enough of this settling feeling
and too much of this town"

What a setup for everything that follows. Very few folks can breathe life in a hittin' the road song. You've done it in spades!

We much like the sparse production and that mandolin track is one of the best acoustic RT's in BiaB's catalog. He's playing a wonderful instrument with a great touch. Few mandolin players get that sound.

Gruve mentioned how soulful your vocal is and, as you oft heard, that is our entry for ANY genre vocal. You delivered big time and, as always, the word classy comes to mind.

It's easy to say we can hear so and so singing this on the radio...to heck with that we can't imagine anybody other than mr jane performing it!

Outstanding...

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Quote:

OK... I'm working on nebulous... and obscure references... and unexplained symbolism...

smile

You're starting to get it; but even gave me too much with your response. A simple "..." would have done it. Let me fill in what that meant. From there I can let you know if I'm offended.

You see, with the internet; there is even less of a need to clarify what you are intending. We all already know; which leaves no room for misunderstanding. I've found it to be the place where sarcasm especially well. It's the perfect form of communication, really.

Seriously though, you paint with your words. And the picture is perfect every time. Part skill, part art, part heart. That's a power combination. Really well done as always.

smile

User Showcase
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M
Beautiful Floyd,

Tender and touchy. Great vocals!
Really liked the idea of keeping it all down. Mandolin solo was great.

In my ears the song is strong enough to go without the guitar solo (even if it's Brent), just humming the melody line would be enough. No guitar fills needed – the mandolin fills at the end is just great – wow!

Thanks for sharing!
E

MacUser!
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, floyd

Very very strong vocal!
A nice sparse arrangement!
This song can already exist only by your vocal.
I believe only a good vocalist does not need a heavy arrangement.
Enjoyed my listen a lot.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki Adachi - Thanks for that very nice review...

Originally Posted By: PeterF
floyd

Wonderful songwriting. All the elements work and the production is superb.
A master class.

Peter

That is much appreciated, Peter!...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
This is nothing less than more sensational songwriting

What sensational lyrics:

the highway in my shoes
one eye on the front door
a suitcase full of blues

Floyd, you continue to deliver genius songwriting from every direction. No matter what the backing that is used: simple, dynamic, upbeat or melodic.

This is no exception.

Impressed.

Trev - thanks for those very nice words! Always nice to have you stop in for a listen...

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is absolutely beautiful, Floyd. Expertly polished yet always organic and soulful.

Well done!

Deacon,

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
floyd, once again you have shown us how it’s done. The vocal performance is one of your best ever. I have always been a traveler as far back as my memories take me, so l relate to the lyrics on more than just a superficial level. My favorite lines are “ that white line lullaby
will never let you be
it's the rhythm of the road
it's a haunting melody”. I kept waiting for some percussion (cajon or djembe) but I understand why you elected to go bare. It’s a lullaby and you don’t want to wake up you want to put to sleep. It’s extremely hard to argue with perfection but after multiple listens (always a good sign) I kept wanting to bring up the bass just a bit. A beautiful write by a very talented craftsman, Tom

Nothing I like better than a review like that coming from someone who really "knows their stuff"! smile

I had been listening to Jason Isbell "Southeastern" a bunch when I did this production. A number of the songs on that album have no drums (or percussion), so I thought I'd give that a try on this... (and Andy's mandolin has a lot of nice punch)

I always think of you when I mix the bass (since you've mentioned it on other songs). I listened again to the Soundcloud version of this - through the cheap speakers on my computer - and I'm hearing plenty of bass there...

Thanks for the careful listen!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
How nice is this? Great song sung with feeling, the backing was simple, but not without those magic dynamic changes that keep the ear engaged enough to let the lyrics sink in. Excellent work, and much enjoyed.

Tangmo - I appreciate the nice comments. Thanks for ahving a listen...

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Floyd,

This is an amazing song and performance...

I love the production and your delivery - you are bringing your absolute best on this.

Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,632
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193