Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Ok, I think this is getting close enough.

https://soundcloud.com/phil-leith/cast-the-first-stone

Wrote the song a couple of months ago. I had the idea, ie, the first line of the chorus and its short melody snippet … for quite a while. Had a conversation with a friend about life and understanding and giving people a pass for some of their failures … which inspired me to really try to flesh the idea out, and this is what came of it.

Some of the cymbal crashes I added from wav files I have because … sometimes BIAB just doesn't have good crashes.

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Cast the First Stone
File:Cast the First Stone.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 90, Length (m:s)=4:29
No intro. 99 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 99. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
Soloist track has 812 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _GETAMP.STY (Ev Pop Country w Amplitube Solo)

RealTracks in style: 366:Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
RealTracks in style: 2829:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryPopBrent12-key Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 2690:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Slow16thsPopBrentSimple Ev16 075
RealDrums in Song: CountryPopBallad^01-a:Kick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really nice work here, Phil smile I love the progressions, and your voice is sincere and heartfelt on this. A really smooth and catchy chorus as well. The harmonies are flawless.

You should be proud of this one! Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Deryk. Always nice to hear someone likes your creation :-)

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Excellent song, great message with beautiful music.!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is and excellent song. Super vocal and backtrack. Guitar was excellent

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful harmonies. Not only do I like the chorus, but I also like the bridge. Great theme and lyrics.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil,

This is excellent. Love the vocal and production.

Much enjoyed!

Bob

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, people. You never know how these are going to go over. I mean I like it … it's an honor to hear compliments from this community.

There are some minor adjustments I will probably (definitely) go back and make... a lot of the cymbals stand out a bit too much, there's an overenunciation in one spot, and underenunciation in another … and a couple other weak spots in the vocals.

The harmonies are good, but not quite where I want them to be. Anybody else have trouble getting these right? I kinda don't know what I'm doing, I'm just going off of "feel" from listening to lots of music all my life.

My process is basically, write the song with my guitar, get a BIAB backing track that will do for now, record some vocals, and listen to it a lot over the next few days. Then I get better ideas how I want it to sound in certain places … awkward lines that need to be smoothed out, better phrasings, melody tweaks.

Originally this song's verses all went like the first one, melodically (and I even threw an extra note into IT right before I published it) … but I ended up singing the verses to one of the harmony lines instead of the original melody line because … well it was boring.

I liked what it did. It really opened the song up. I've never quite "let loose" this much on a vocal (still getting used to thinking of myself as a singer).

About halfway through the process, it went from being a purely acoustic song to adding the lead electric guitar. Before that it sounded more like an old church hymn from the 1970's. The electric guitar gave it more energy. But the drums were still basically a simple brush style, and I needed "drummier" drums. I found this RealDrums track and tossed it in.

I added some cymbal crashes I have recorded. Like I said I think they're a bit strong in the mix at the moment. See, every time I make some changes I listen to it for a day or two and pinpoint things I think could be better, and I'm not QUITE done with it yet.

I tend to just replace the song as I go along with the new changes so the original link always gets you to the latest version of the song. It won't change much. Most of your average listeners probably wouldn't notice what I will do. They may notice that it sounds "better" but won't know why. But a lot of you would know.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song! I agree - the harmonies are a particularly lovely part of the song.

If you're not looking for feedback, please skip this next bit - I couldn't resist, but I probably should have. wink

I think it would be good to remove a lot of the electric guitar bits - to my ears they seem to come in fairly randomly. For example, the fill at 0:31 doesn't seem necessary - better to wait until 0:34 before coming in again. Same thing with the lick at 0:39 - it just makes the background busy. The lick at 2:14 collides with the kick drum which is setting up a different feel for bridge. Less is more, and all that.

Similarly, I think you could drop a few cymbal crashes without much damage. The drum fill at 3:19 also seems out of place. I hear what you're doing, but think playing straight through would work better.

I also think the song could safely end at 3:55 - it's got that cool harmony bit, and I was a bit surprised to hear another go-round on the verse after that.

Standard caveats apply - my advice is worth less than half of what you paid for it, apply huge grain of salt, and so on.

These are all nits - I listened to the song a number of times, and enjoyed it very much each time. Nice work! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Feedback is fine, and you're probably right.

The way I do that is I generate a whole solo through the entire song and then chop it up and bring them in when I think they sound good.

To be frank, I am not completely happy with the solo track in the first place as generated, but it was close to what I was looking for. It's a little too dull. I'd also like something a little more attention grabbing at the beginning, but not TOO much … as I like to kind of "build" a song up as it plays. Especially one like this that's kind of a slow power-ballad.

So yeah, thanks, I'll go back and give it a listen … I might completely agree.

Who knows, I may generate a whole new one. It's going to go on my CD, so I want it to sound as good as I can get it to sound. Well without spending my entire life on it, I've got other songs to finish! :-D

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
You know, Dave, you are right about the length as well. It could stand to be shorter, I knew that as soon as I saw the rendered length. I had thrown that last bit in since the instrumentation went on and I kind of felt we needed a little vocal to come down off of that. I'll go back to that spot and see what I think.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Excellent work...completely enjoyed it.
Love the song idea and the lyric 'hook'.
Agree with you on BIAB cymbal 'hits'...I usually have to look elsewhere for the ones I like.
I also agree with David that the song, on its own, is strong and probably doesn't need some of the accoutrements you've added--to an 'outsider's' ear, I think you could simplify the arrangement a bit.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Right on Phil! Great message and a great job putting it all together! Good job with the vocal! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's a lovely sentiment and sweetly expressed but I agree with David C about the length and guitar licks. I have a RealPak of Brent licks and, to be honest, I struggle to find somewhere to put them. Something about their tone doesn't mix well.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm going to try to rework this a bit. Speed it up by about 5bpm, and go back and re-do all the vocals. For all the compliments on the harmonies there are places where they're not up to the tightness I want. And I'm kind of a trial and error guy when it comes to these things. I'm not kidding when I say I really don't know what I'm doing, I just know what I like when I hear it.

I like a lot of the Brent licks... and I haven't found anything else that comes close to what I'm looking for. I really did want something a little gritty to contrast with the syrupy sweetness of the rest of it. Kind of like hops in beer, or sour in "sweet and sour", tannins in red wine. Something to make it sound a little less like a church hymn and more like a pop-ish song.

I hate to go back to the "Dire" licks I used on "Alive", but that's the only other thing I've heard that comes close.

I did, last night, regenerate some of the Brent stuff but it was WAYYYYY over the top. That being said, the stage is set for a re-do.

This is what the listening to it over and over for days is for. Figure out what I like and don't like and what I'd do differently.

Thanks again, I'll let you know when I have whatever it is I come up with.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Phil Leith
I like a lot of the Brent licks... and I haven't found anything else that comes close to what I'm looking for. I really did want something a little gritty to contrast with the syrupy sweetness of the rest of it.

Maybe there's someone on the forum that could contribute the guitar part? There are some excellent guitarist hanging around here. laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Not a new idea but obviously one that we all need frequent reminding of. This is really well done!! The music is so pleasant (great band, great melody) and the vocal is really good too! It is just so easy to listen to. Excellent job with everything Phil!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
There are some things about the Brent Solo I like, for sure... a few select parts I really really like.

I am still working on a slightly sped up version where I redo all the vocals, but the lead I recorded Monday just didn't have the zing … it's a lot more work than I thought but I haven't given up on it.

So tonight I went back and cleaned up some of the bits of the vocals that were bothering me on the original 90 bpm version, and I took out *a few* of the Brent bits, but I really like the energy it adds.

Also took out the "refrain reprise", I agree, it was overkill. I thought it needed something like that (if I could play what I had sung on the guitar, it would have been better, but I can't). So I just let Brent play it out and it's not bad, really.

I think it's better.

Still eying my version I'm speeding up by about 5bpm, but … I don't know if I can beat the lead vocal on this 90bpm version. I'll try to match it. If I can't … this one'll have to do.

Last edited by Phil Leith; 09/19/18 04:41 PM.
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Not a new idea but obviously one that we all need frequent reminding of. This is really well done!! The music is so pleasant (great band, great melody) and the vocal is really good too! It is just so easy to listen to. Excellent job with everything Phil!! Take care. Greg

I used to work with a really cool guy named Greg Johnson here at Mizzou. He was also a musician. You wouldn't happen to be THAT Greg Johnson, would you?

Just a stab in the dark.

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
You know, it's true. It is definitely NOT a new idea. But a lot of good ideas are very old. Often, the very best ideas are very old, because they are universal truths. And sometimes you just want to re-iterate them in your own way. Or hear them re-iterated from someone else's perspective.

I find as I get older that we have so much in common in the human experience, and I think the best song writing strikes a chord in one or more or those experiences with a lot of people. It's not necessarily about coming up with new ideas, but about expressing them in different ways, in our own voices.

Everything is new, and nothing is new. At the same time.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,676
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200