Print Thread
Go To
#491003 09/14/18 03:17 PM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Greetings all...

A few years ago someone here (Mac) suggested I should pick up the Ketron SD2 sound module. I did get one and knew right away that it was one of the best investments I ever made. She sure is one powerful little puppy.'

I'm now looking to expand my sound banks and will without hesitation pick up another Ketron module. I'm just wondering if the Ketron SD 1000 the latest model out there or has Ketron put out something newer?

I was toying with the idea of getting something from Native Instruments but they are really expensive. And I just don't like working with vst. I'm old school and just want to use something that I've been comfortable with for a lot of years, that being sound modules. Would you believe that I still use my Roland JV-1010? And still loving it.

Off-Topic
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
It looks like the SD1000 is the latest product that's just a simple sound module. There's also the Audya, but that gets you arranger features you may not need, and is very expensive.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
There are very new excellent sound modules, according to the You Tube demos ; These are German products.

See there V3 sounds

Reach for excellence
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Many thanks for the comebacks and suggestions, guys... all good advice and ideas indeed!!!

I find myself going back and forth daily on what I want to do. The real question is, do I really have to spend more money to expand on what I already have? Between the Roland and SD2 I have hundreds of sounds right now... a lot of which I have never used. My main genre is classic country and old rock and roll. Am I really going to need hundreds of symphonic sounds and effects in doing these styles of music?

No matter which way I decide to go, be it NI, Ketron or V3 sounds it would be very expensive. I think I have to change my way of thinking from "I really WANT it" mode to "I really don't NEED it" mode. As I look at the hit my bank account would take, I strongly believe that I'm going to go with the latter; I don't need it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Roland and SD2 I have hundreds of sounds right now

You are correct, if you have these GM sound options you don't really need any more. But there is a world of sound beyound GM. Keep looking at the NI stuff. A lot of that is just too cool to not invest a bit of time and money to infuse into your sound making. Just my two cents.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Bobby9999, get the free Kontakt player. There are a lot of great sounding free and inexpensive sounds that will work with it. When looking for sounds for it just be sure to carefully read the sites info as some only work with the full Kontakt.

Getting the free player will let you try out Kontakt's approach. The engine is the same in both Kontakt versions but with the player you will not be able to open the sounds to add or change effects and things. But that may not be a problem as I have had the full Kontakt for many years now and I have modified the sounds very seldom. Most all of the time I get into the inner workings just to change the volume control from a keyboard to a wind controller.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
DrDan #491247 09/16/18 03:00 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Quote:
Roland and SD2 I have hundreds of sounds right now

You are correct, if you have these GM sound options you don't really need any more. But there is a world of sound beyond GM. Keep looking at the NI stuff. A lot of that is just too cool to not invest a bit of time and money to infuse into your sound making. Just my two cents.
In addition to GM and GM2 Roland also has the GS midi patch standard. Also, don't forget about Yamaha and their XG midi patch standard.

I like Ketron products and they appear to be as durable as any other product. My issue is their products are not well represented in the US. Neither of the online music stores I shop, Sweetwater and American Music Supply (AMS) sell Ketron products. PG Music use to but do not now. Amazon does sell the SD2 and Midijay. I've never heard of the US Distributor, +++ AJam +++ The website says the distributor has a website developer but the site itself is rarely updated.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
MarioD #491399 09/17/18 09:26 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for this, Mario!!! While doing some of my research I seem to remember seeing something about the "Kontakt Player" but really didn't look in to it very deeply. For sure I'm going to have a look at that.

As for Kontakt... There was one thin that got me thinking about it, that being the "guitar strum" sounds. They sound amazing!

Jim Fogle #491404 09/17/18 09:32 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Jim... now that you mention Ketron 2 and PG Music... I'm pretty sure that I bought mine from them. But that was quite a while ago so don't quote me on that.

It's true that the Ketron is hard to find. I deal with two different music stores here in Montreal and neither one carry it.

But there again; If I were to buy the SD 1000, would I be getting all the same sounds that I now have with my SD 2 and then a few more new ones that I don't have? Would those few new sounds be worth $500+ dollars?

In any event, I'm managing to stay away from impulse buying... for a change.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bobbyt9999
As for Kontakt... There was one thing that got me thinking about it, that being the "guitar strum" sounds. They sound amazing!

Here is one of the coolest...
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/session-guitarist-strummed-acoustic-2/

In fact, here is it with BIAB.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/in-a-latin-mood

I have long been a advocate for Reaper\BIAB as a incredible music making combination. Add Kontakt to the mix and the possibilities are endless.

Last edited by MusicStudent; 09/17/18 12:59 PM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

DrDan #491837 09/19/18 04:24 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
As for Kontakt... There was one thing that got me thinking about it, that being the "guitar strum" sounds. They sound amazing!

Here is one of the coolest...
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/session-guitarist-strummed-acoustic-2/

In fact, here is it with BIAB.

https://soundcloud.com/dan-hoch-784636941/in-a-latin-mood

I have long been a advocate for Reaper\BIAB as a incredible music making combination. Add Kontakt to the mix and the possibilities are endless.

Thanks so much for this! I'm going to have a very close look. I'm still looking at how to use it with Sonar Platinum. The "free Kontakt Player" needed to use it is confusing me. I'm going to do more research to make sure I understand it before buying. But a hundred bucks is a lot better than eight hundred bucks considering that Guitar Strummed is what I'm looking for more than anything else in Kontakt Komplete. I'll keep you posted.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

Thanks so much for this! I'm going to have a very close look. I'm still looking at how to use it with Sonar Platinum. The "free Kontakt Player" needed to use it is confusing me. I'm going to do more research to make sure I understand it before buying. But a hundred bucks is a lot better than eight hundred bucks considering that Guitar Strummed is what I'm looking for more than anything else in Kontakt Komplete. I'll keep you posted.

I hope this helps. Kontakt Player has the same engine as the full version of Kontakt. The difference is that the Player is for only playing the patches while the full version Kontakt allows you to get into the guts of the patches so you can change some of its parameters and effects. Guitar sessions 2 will run on the free Player.

If you get Kontakt Player be sure to carefully read the read the system requirements of any patch that you are thinking about purchasing. Many patches will only run on the full Kontakt, but this will listed under those requirements.

If you are thinking about Kontakt you can buy it separately. If you can wait then I would get the free Player then wait for a sale on Kontakt. Most of the time a sale will get you Kontakt for about half price.

Both version of Kontakt will load as a VSTi in Sonar with no problems. If you know how to load VSTis into Sonar you are all set, if not other Sonar users here can help you. It has been quite awhile since I've used Sonar and I don't want to give you some faulty advice. I have CRS!

If you are also looking for a finger picking program check this out:

https://realitone.com/fingerpick/

This also works on the free Player.

Also you might want to Google/Bing guitar patches for Kontakt and/or free and shareware guitar patches for kontakt. There are a lot of third party patches out there for Kontakt.

Good luck

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you so much Mario!!! Sure is good advice for someone who has never really worked with vst before. I had some out of town visitors come in yesterday so I haven't had much chance to get set up yet. I'm sure that if I do run into problems I can get a lot of help here.

Much appreciated...

Bobby

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200