Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Songwriting
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Mostly for singer-songwriter types, but it also applies to lead instrument players, I think.

What comes first for you, music or lyrics (or backing or licks, for instrumentalists)? Just as importantly, why does that work for you? Maybe almost as importantly, why does it sometimes not work for you?

I may jump in later if this thread garners any interest.

Last edited by Tangmo; 09/24/18 01:51 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran

There have been several threads on this topic this year.

In brief, for me, most of the time the initial idea for the chorus and the basic chord progression comes in a blinding flash and I reach for the tape recorder or phone to spit it out, singing the lyrics. I know what progression I am singing. That is easy to decode.

At that point I am 75% done.

Then I will work on refining the lyrics, then the music (or the reverse process) and then bring them back together for a final polish.

I cannot write music separate from the lyric idea. They are like two buckets that get pulled out of the same well at the same time, sloshing all over the sides.

That is the best way I can explain it. They are intertwined from the beginning.

Songwriting
Expert
Expert
I am not a writer of songs albeit I have assisted others. However when it comes to adding bits when playing guitar it just happens. If it is just fills or a lead break it just happens and feels right.

If you have to think about it you have usually missed it. By that I mean, by the time you think about what you are going to play the moment has gone. It just happens, feel I think is the word. It is similar to looking at the fret board. If you have to look, then decide where to put your finger, well, the moment has gone and mistakes occur.

My thoughts.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
What comes first for you, music or lyrics (or backing or licks, for instrumentalists)?

Personally...

I've written songs from all creative approaches you note above.
First, and most important to me is choice of subject matter.

Once subject matter is determined I try to choose chords/arrangement that fit the mood of the 'subject'.
Then....the hard part for me....fleshing out coherent, well thought out lyrical continuity, adhering to the story and avoiding vapid cliches (or subjects).
It could take me weeks to flesh it all out lyrically.

Song writing does not come easy for me but I am able to plug along and finish songs to my satisfaction.

Carry on.....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 09/24/18 06:24 PM.
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know which came first!

Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Depends on the song for me - sometimes lyrics will come to mind that inspire a tune, sometimes I'll think of a tune and need to force some lyrics to go along. The process changes from song to song, personally.

Cheers,
Deryk
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
I find it very difficult to work from lyrics to a melody. Others prefer that workflow.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
You have opened up two different concepts..... one is songwriting, the other is playing parts.

To me, playing parts in a song is not the same thing as writing the song..... yeah it takes some creative effort and skill but it's not the same as actually creating the melody and the lyrics. Most often, musical fills and solos, as you mentioned, are improvised on the spot. No thought is given to them..... although I would argue that point too. As I'm playing a lead solo, I am thinking in an abstract way of what I want to say next.... and if I played that part a second time, it would not be the same as the first.... so it's an ongoing evolution. Only when I put the parts down in a project do they solidify.

Writing the song..... that takes some creative thought, and anyone who says differently is lying to you. To find creative ways to say something that's been sung about a thousand times before, without saying it exactly the same way, takes some creative thinking. Same thing with the melody.

But to answer the questions...... I personally tend to write both together as David alluded too in his post with the two buckets. It's a process of getting a groove that feels right, throw in an interesting idea, and start moving in the direction of a song. Often the lyrics and melody just kind of flow in a Zen-like way.... quickly, and effortlessly. However, I then will often spend time reworking and refining them both into a more polished structure.

That's how I mostly work. I have worked with writers who gave me partial ideas, or even "completed" lyrics which I then disassembled and worked on..... to end up with something that hopefully resembled a song. My song page is littered with the results of such experiments in musical mayhem.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Songwriting
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Writing the song..... that takes some creative thought, and anyone who says differently is lying to you. To find creative ways to say something that's been sung about a thousand times before, without saying it exactly the same way, takes some creative thinking. Same thing with the melody.

Yep....my personal imperatives when it comes to song writing.

Back to topic.....

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
I just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know which came first!

Hahahaha! Good one Don. Amazon to the rescue smile

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Songwriting
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
For my roommate it was always the lyrics that came first when she was younger, but as she got older it would be the melody. I never really thought about it much before, but it's kind of like the chicken or the egg, isn't it? Thought provoking for sure.

Cheers,
Ember
Songwriting
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Like as has been said, it doesn't work for me to write a lyric without some melodic and rhythmic sense to it. I'd go so far as to say, if I were to write without that I wouldn't even be writing a song lyric at all. I'd be at best writing something I hoped would one day be a song lyric.

I did just one collaboration where I had a lyric more or less finished when my friend sent me a "backing". It fit the lyric I had been writing so well, that I abandoned the melody and rhythm I'd been writing to and took a new melody from the chords since the rhythm worked so well.

Some collabs started with me sending a very simple (even an a capella) demo with instruction on how many verses, choruses, etc I needed. Rinse and repeat X number of times.

Most other collabs have started with a fleshed out backing to which I was able to write lyrics and a vocal melody. Even with these, I couldn't write a lyric without paying close attention to the melody arising and the space and spots to hang syllables on. I miss sometimes, but that's only because I tried in the first place.

Sometimes with BIAB I can get so caught up in grooves and changes that melody and lyric fall by the wayside, if they were ever considered in the first place. I find it no more likely that I'll ever be able to come up with an actual song than if someone else had written the piece.

This is similar to the offer I put up on a "backing" lately*. One of your own has communicated to me that he may be turning that into a proper song. I know exactly what he'll have to do to accomplish that listenably. It won't be writing a lyric and forcing it on the piece. It will be listening, feeling, maybe even calculating what he needs to do and doing it. I won't say who it is, but I've heard a number of his songs and he is mightily up to it.

When I'm writing by myself, as others have said, things come as a package. A line or two with a melody and rhythm leading to another line or two, leading ultimately to a ready-to-produce song outline at minimum. I'm not saying that in the whole process changes can't be made along the way...even radical changes. But it has to start "together".

I've also found that melodies tend to be stronger when I'm writing by myself. I don't exactly know why that is, but I think it probably has something to do with the "hookiness" of a backing I may receive. When the song is still bare and spare, imagination can work and it can go where it wants to go. Not as much when working with someone else's backing, though some backings are just more melodically "hooky" and suggestive.

Just as I am so-far incapable of writing music to words on paper, I would never send a "lyric" to a song I wrote and produced and say, "Sing this over this" with no further input from me. As a songwriter, part of my job is to demo the song. I have to carry my own water, even though my bucket is rusty. It takes a talent I don't have, and would have to recognize in another, to do otherwise. Melody is malleable. Lyrics can be polished. But "phrasing" is more gift than skill and more art than craft. This makes the "practice" of writing both words and music more-or-less together valuable to me.

"Phrasing" is where I think there is the most overlap between lead players and singer/songwriters. I've learned a lot in many years of internet indieness from guitar players. It's not always the number of licks in a phrase (many OR few) that makes it "good". It's mostly where/when they land, what they add musically, and then how long they stay there.

I've had a mantra for any number of would-be, scared-to-be, and wannabe lyric writers. "If it sings good, it is good." Of course you want to avoid trite cliches (except when you don't) and you want to make sense (except when you don't). But people who may not "buy" your poetry will "buy" your song if your lyric "sings" good.

I'm quite proud of most of my lyrics. Of course, the worst time to spot an opportunity to do better is after you've recorded and produced them, I've found. LOL. But what I am most proud of isn't their "cleverness" or "message", but how they fit the song's rhythm.

Anyway...there is no right or wrong way, or rule that says this must follow that. Amazon can send either one first, but they'd save postage if they sent them at the same time. :-)

*PS. I've got a few more of those somewhat-less-than-song backing tracks made with BIAB I'd love to post up for anybody wanting to take a stab at writing/singing/melodically playing. Maybe I'll make a special folder at my music hosting site for those.

Last edited by Tangmo; 09/25/18 05:21 PM.

BIAB 2021 Audiophile. Windows 10 64bit. Songwriter, lyricist, composer(?) loving all styles. Some pre-BIAB music from Farfetched Tangmo Band's first CD. https://alonetone.com/tangmo/playlists/close-to-the-ground
Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tangmo
Like as has been said, it doesn't work for me to write a lyric without some melodic and rhythmic sense to it. I'd go so far as to say, if I were to write without that I wouldn't even be writing a song lyric at all. I'd be at best writing something I hoped would one day be a song lyric.

I did just one collaboration where I had a lyric more or less finished when my friend sent me a "backing". It fit the lyric I had been writing so well, that I abandoned the melody and rhythm I'd been writing to and took a new melody from the chords since the rhythm worked so well.

Some collabs started with me sending a very simple (even an a capella) demo with instruction on how many verses, choruses, etc I needed. Rinse and repeat X number of times.

Most other collabs have started with a fleshed out backing to which I was able to write lyrics and a vocal melody. Even with these, I couldn't write a lyric without paying close attention to the melody arising and the space and spots to hang syllables on. I miss sometimes, but that's only because I tried in the first place.

Sometimes with BIAB I can get so caught up in grooves and changes that melody and lyric fall by the wayside, if they were ever considered in the first place. I find it no more likely that I'll ever be able to come up with an actual song than if someone else had written the piece.

This is similar to the offer I put up on a "backing" lately*. One of your own has communicated to me that he may be turning that into a proper song. I know exactly what he'll have to do to accomplish that listenably. It won't be writing a lyric and forcing it on the piece. It will be listening, feeling, maybe even calculating what he needs to do and doing it. I won't say who it is, but I've heard a number of his songs and he is mightily up to it.

When I'm writing by myself, as others have said, things come as a package. A line or two with a melody and rhythm leading to another line or two, leading ultimately to a ready-to-produce song outline at minimum. I'm not saying that in the whole process changes can't be made along the way...even radical changes. But it has to start "together".

I've also found that melodies tend to be stronger when I'm writing by myself. I don't exactly know why that is, but I think it probably has something to do with the "hookiness" of a backing I may receive. When the song is still bare and spare, imagination can work and it can go where it wants to go. Not as much when working with someone else's backing, though some backings are just more melodically "hooky" and suggestive.

Just as I am so-far incapable of writing music to words on paper, I would never send a "lyric" to a song I wrote and produced and say, "Sing this over this" with no further input from me. As a songwriter, part of my job is to demo the song. I have to carry my own water, even though my bucket is rusty. It takes a talent I don't have, and would have to recognize in another, to do otherwise. Melody is malleable. Lyrics can be polished. But "phrasing" is more gift than skill and more art than craft. This makes the "practice" of writing both words and music more-or-less together valuable to me.

"Phrasing" is where I think there is the most overlap between lead players and singer/songwriters. I've learned a lot in many years of internet indieness from guitar players. It's not always the number of licks in a phrase (many OR few) that makes it "good". It's mostly where/when they land, what they add musically, and then how long they stay there.

I've had a mantra for any number of would-be, scared-to-be, and wannabe lyric writers. "If it sings good, it is good." Of course you want to avoid trite cliches (except when you don't) and you want to make sense (except when you don't). But people who may not "buy" your poetry will "buy" your song if your lyric "sings" good.

I'm quite proud of most of my lyrics. Of course, the worst time to spot an opportunity to do better is after you've recorded and produced them, I've found. LOL. But what I am most proud of isn't their "cleverness" or "message", but how they fit the song's rhythm.

Anyway...there is no right or wrong way, or rule that says this must follow that. Amazon can send either one first, but they'd save postage if they sent them at the same time. :-)

*PS. I've got a few more of those somewhat-less-than-song backing tracks made with BIAB I'd love to post up for anybody wanting to take a stab at writing/singing/melodically playing. Maybe I'll make a special folder at my music hosting site for those.

Tangmo,

What a great synopsis!

I especially liked your use of the word 'malleable.' Often our songs must be beaten into shape!

Songwriting
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
For songs with lyrics, it’s almost always lyrics first for me. Or at least lyrical ideas. Having had just a tiny bit of formal songwriting training and then a yearly workshop/challenge, this has become disciplined activity for me. And it’s almost always lyrics first. Music next. Lyrics editing next. Recording. Then mixing and editing the recording.

Songwriting
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
For songs with lyrics, it’s almost always lyrics first for me. Or at least lyrical ideas. Having had just a tiny bit of formal songwriting training and then a yearly workshop/challenge, this has become disciplined activity for me. And it’s almost always lyrics first. Music next. Lyrics editing next. Recording. Then mixing and editing the recording.

As best I understand it, that's the Elton John school of song-writing. I wish I could do it, but I just can't. I guess I'm not as "musical" as I need to be to do that.

I'm always interested to get a glimpse under the hood of "process".

Songwriting
Tangmo Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u97_inloBmY

On Topic fer sure, if you have about a half-hour.

Songwriting
Veteran
Veteran
Tangmo,

I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,461
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195