You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#495124 - 10/11/18 12:01 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Hi Folks,
I am hoping that you can provide some tips, suggestions and perhaps links to resources with a problem I have been having.

I stopped singing for about 18 months, and started again early this year.

Although, as a 55 year-old guy I expect some degradation of my voice as I age, I was shocked that I had lost some of my vocal range, and that my voice is a bit shakey (not that I have a great voice or range anyway).

I cannot even sing some of my own songs properly.

I have been trying to sing each day (bet my neighbours love the combination of that and me playing electric guitar along to various CDs) in an effort to get back to where I was.

Do you have any advice to help with this?

I was thinking of taking a Skype lesson (if possible) with Nashville based artist/vocal teacher Susan Anders, to see what she would suggest.

I am grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Thanks.

#495465 - 10/12/18 12:52 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

These videos from VoiceLesson.com on youtube will help you and show you what to do. They really work. smile

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-pOsbaC39z-7_nbBDbBw0OQOFIk3_T2j
My Videos

#495499 - 10/12/18 02:53 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
I have no specific recommendations, but I heartily support getting professional help with this.

There are plenty of vocal exercises that you can to to build up your strength and range, but getting a pro to listen and help put together a program is money well spent.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#495562 - 10/12/18 08:09 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: dcuny]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I have no specific recommendations, but I heartily support getting professional help with this.

There are plenty of vocal exercises that you can to to build up your strength and range, but getting a pro to listen and help put together a program is money well spent.

Hi David,
Many thanks for this.

I will definitely get some professional help with this.

Thanks, again.

#495563 - 10/12/18 08:10 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: Sundance]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Sundance
These videos from VoiceLesson.com on youtube will help you and show you what to do. They really work. smile

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-pOsbaC39z-7_nbBDbBw0OQOFIk3_T2j

Sundance,
Many thanks for the link.

I will check it out right now.

#495573 - 10/12/18 10:05 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
Tobias Offline
Expert

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
Don't forget physical exercise. Sometimes injuries or health issues can prevent exercise. Then our voices get weaker. A good exercise routine is critical and often over looked.

#495579 - 10/12/18 10:23 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: Tobias]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Hi Tobias,
Many thanks for your reply.

You raise an excellent point, particularly in my case, as I spent an inordinate amount of time in sedentary activities such as being on the computer, and playing guitar.

It is a shame that my interests and passions are all ones which do not involve exercising (although I was thinking about it today).

I have the means, but not yet the will. However, I know from past experience that I can get back into excercising.

Thanks again.

#495736 - 10/13/18 02:40 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
Belladonna Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
Don't know if you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, just an inquiry. As you get older the vocal cords get dryer and any of these will make your vocals sound worse. Aerobic exercise will help with the lung capacity, maybe get in some good trail hiking a couple times a week, some fresh clean air and trails that get you huffing and puffing. Get a good healthy diet and do some warm-ups and vocal exercises from 5 - 15 minutes a day. There are lots of free vocal warm-ups and exercises on YouTube, pick ones you like. Oh, make sure you drink enough water to keep the chords lubricated.

Edited by Belladonna (10/13/18 02:43 PM)

#495747 - 10/13/18 03:21 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: Belladonna]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Don't know if you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, just an inquiry. As you get older the vocal cords get dryer and any of these will make your vocals sound worse. Aerobic exercise will help with the lung capacity, maybe get in some good trail hiking a couple times a week, some fresh clean air and trails that get you huffing and puffing. Get a good healthy diet and do some warm-ups and vocal exercises from 5 - 15 minutes a day. There are lots of free vocal warm-ups and exercises on YouTube, pick ones you like. Oh, make sure you drink enough water to keep the chords lubricated.

Hi Belladona,
Many thanks for your reply, and your helpful suggestions.

I am a vehement anti-smoker, and have never smoked, although I was around a lot of second-hand smoke as a kid.

I have really cut down on drinking over the past year or so - maybe a pint or two of beer in a whole month, although I used to drink a lot more.

But I do fall down on the exercise front.

I followed the link recommended by David (above), and have started to do vocal exercises, and will continue to do so.

Thanks, once again.

Edited by drutgat (10/13/18 03:22 PM)

#495774 - 10/13/18 06:16 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
Belladonna Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Virginia
Sounds like you've got the healthy eating pretty together. What about coffee and/or tea? I would really only have one cup a day, again it's hard on the vocals when you're older. A lot more water is probably the key and good aerobic exercise to get those lungs pumping.

#495786 - 10/13/18 07:31 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: Belladonna]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I gave up coffee in 1986 (!), but that I have about 5 - 10 cups of orange pekoe tea/week.

And I have deliberately been drinking water (not as much as I should, because I hate running to the bathroom every five minutes) every day for the last three or four years.

I was saying in an email to a friend in an email earlier today that I am going to start exercising again.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

#495790 - 10/13/18 08:59 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

I can relate drutgat. The pic you see flashing on the left was taken a week before surgery two months ago. Since then I spent a lot of time in my recliner and gained 4lbs. I've been adding more walking and physical activity in my regular day but doing it very slowly and steadily. Baby steps works better than jumpiing in - according to research slowly gradually working your way into an exercise routine that works for you gives you better odds of sticking with it. You don't want to injure yourself or get burned out and quit. Glad you found the videos helpful.
My Videos

#495792 - 10/13/18 09:10 PM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: Sundance]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Hi Josie,
I am really sorry to hear that you have faced such a challenge, but am glad to hear that you are obviously recovering.

And I wish you well with that process. As you say, slowly working one's way into an exercise routine gives one better odds of sticking with it.

I really have no excuse, though, except to say that all my interests (playing, watching, and listening to music) are sedentary. But I have two pieces of exercise equipment 10 and 15 feet away from me, so I just need to turn the TV on and get on the rowing machine.

I find walking really boring.

Good luck with everything, and thanks for the encouragement.

By the way, I really liked your version of 'Be My Baby' - left a comment to that effect on YT yesterday.

Take care.

#495951 - Today at 12:47 AM [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: drutgat]
Tobias Offline
Expert

Loc: Way too close to Palm Springs,...
We have an elliptical machine in the living room with the TV in view. My wife uses it way more than I do.
Maybe your desire to sing more will motivate you to get more exercise.
If you need more motivation here I'll give you some;
PICK UP THE PACE YOU LITTLE GRUB WORM! DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE BOY SCOUTS OR SOMETHING? DROP AND GIVE ME 20! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT I'LL TAKE YOU BACK TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE FOR MILK AND COOKIES. THEN YOU CAN TAKE A LITTLE NAP YOUR TEDDY RUXPIN!
There, Does that help?

#495964 - 33 minutes 59 seconds ago [Woodshedding - Learning to Play!] Re: Help - Please - Regaining My Vocal Range [Re: Tobias]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Tobias
We have an elliptical machine in the living room with the TV in view. My wife uses it way more than I do.
Maybe your desire to sing more will motivate you to get more exercise.
If you need more motivation here I'll give you some;
PICK UP THE PACE YOU LITTLE GRUB WORM! DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE BOY SCOUTS OR SOMETHING? DROP AND GIVE ME 20! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT I'LL TAKE YOU BACK TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE FOR MILK AND COOKIES. THEN YOU CAN TAKE A LITTLE NAP YOUR TEDDY RUXPIN!
There, Does that help?

Laugh? I nearly cried. laugh

That was brilliant, Tobias - many thanks.

Great motivation (you must have done this before).

And, yes, you are right my desire to sing more and to regain my previously-mediocre-but-that's-alright-with-me voice is motivating me more to get back to exercizing (plus, I assume I will be more attractive to the female species wink ).

Thanks again.

PG Music News
Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Happy National Techies Day!

Happy National Techies Day to all our program users! And, a special thanks / shout-out to all of our BETA testers - you're a big part of our Band-in-a-Box program!

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54385 Topics
449407 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken, Tim Radel

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 152