You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#495128 - 10/11/18 01:09 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions
DeaconBlues09 Online   content
Journeyman

Loc: Merkaz, Israel
Hey there folks,

So here's something I initially had trouble with when trying to load up plugins I downloaded both in 32 and 64 bit (most plugins that support both 32 and 64 bit will have the option to install both automatically checked during the install process).

Here's the thing, when these plugins are installed, the .dll files for the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the same plugins are placed separately under C\Program Files (x86) and C\Program Files respectively (see screenshots).

So for all you users who don't use J-bridge (myself included, despite having bought it, because I'm a different PC now, my original license link expired, and I'm too lazy to contact them for a new one frown ), make sure you load up the dll file from C\Program Files (x86).

Attachments
VST .png

VST 2.png

Edited by DeaconBlues09 (10/11/18 01:10 AM)

#495191 - 10/11/18 09:05 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: DeaconBlues09]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Excellent tip. Thanks for posting.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#495213 - 10/11/18 11:14 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: DeaconBlues09]
jford Offline
Veteran

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
DeaconBlues -

Unless you've changed your email address, you should be able to get a new copy of jbridge by just requesting it. You go to the jbridge site and click on the link for the latest registered update, enter your email address, and the program gets mailed to you in a double compressed file (you'll need to have either 7-zip or WinRAR available) to unzip the initial 7-zip file and then the resulting WinZip file (you can use WinZip for the second file, but not the 7-zip format, unless they've recently added it).

Then, you can just install jbridge and it will work automatically in BIAB and RealBand.

If you have changed your email address since originally getting it, just send them a note indicating your old email address, along with your new email address, and some indication that you originally did purchase it. That's what I did when I changed my email address, and they responded quickly.

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK
Web-http://www.sus4chord.com

#495582 - 10/12/18 10:35 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: jford]
Journeyman

Thanks John, This seems a lot easier than I feared. I'll give it a shot...

#495821 - Yesterday at 12:37 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: jford]
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: jford
DeaconBlues -

Unless you've changed your email address, you should be able to get a new copy of jbridge by just requesting it. You go to the jbridge site and click on the link for the latest registered update, enter your email address, and the program gets mailed to you in a double compressed file (you'll need to have either 7-zip or WinRAR available) to unzip the initial 7-zip file and then the resulting WinZip file (you can use WinZip for the second file, but not the 7-zip format, unless they've recently added it).

Then, you can just install jbridge and it will work automatically in BIAB and RealBand.

If you have changed your email address since originally getting it, just send them a note indicating your old email address, along with your new email address, and some indication that you originally did purchase it. That's what I did when I changed my email address, and they responded quickly.

Thanks John, it worked like a charm! (Oh man how I love these forums and the good kind who folk who populate them grin)

#495897 - Yesterday at 02:40 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: DeaconBlues09]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Deacon,
Why would you install both the 32bit and 64bit versions of VSTs?

#495906 - Yesterday at 04:30 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: drutgat]
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
32 bits ones for use in Band-in-a-Box or any other 32 bit music applications and the 64 bit VSTs for use in 64 bit applications. Yes there is jBridge but it doesn't work 100% of the time. Also some VSTs never make the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit while other VSTs are only available in 64 bit form.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#495942 - Yesterday at 09:39 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: Jim Fogle]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
32 bits ones for use in Band-in-a-Box or any other 32 bit music applications and the 64 bit VSTs for use in 64 bit applications. Yes there is jBridge but it doesn't work 100% of the time. Also some VSTs never make the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit while other VSTs are only available in 64 bit form.

Thanks, Jim.

Over the last couple of years I have tended to only download the 32-bit ones (apart from two days ago), because they work with the 64-bit systems, and I do not want to have extra stuff cluttering up the works.

#495944 - Yesterday at 11:23 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: drutgat]
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: drutgat
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle

Thanks, Jim.

Over the last couple of years I have tended to only download the 32-bit ones (apart from two days ago), because they work with the 64-bit systems, and I do not want to have extra stuff cluttering up the works.

To add on to what Jim said, there is really no downside to installing both 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time. There's really nothing to worry about IMO w/ respect to clutter as they get placed in separate folders anyway, they take up a negligible amount of HD space, and then you can use the 64 bit versions in Reaper (or your DAW of choice).

#495948 - Yesterday at 11:56 PM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: DeaconBlues09]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

To add on to what Jim said, there is really no downside to installing both 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time. There's really nothing to worry about IMO w/ respect to clutter as they get placed in separate folders anyway, they take up a negligible amount of HD space, and then you can use the 64 bit versions in Reaper (or your DAW of choice).

The only difference I have occasionally noticed using 32bit vs 64 bit VST's in a 64 bit DAW is that the 64 bit VST's interfaces are sometimes more extensive; do either of you notice any sonic differences?

Edited by drutgat (Yesterday at 11:57 PM)

#495953 - Today at 01:10 AM [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: drutgat]
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: drutgat
Originally Posted By: DeaconBlues09

The only difference I have occasionally noticed using 32bit vs 64 bit VST's in a 64 bit DAW is that the 64 bit VST's interfaces are sometimes more extensive; do either of you notice any sonic differences?

So I'm not really not a computer guy, but from what I understand (and I could be very wrong) 32 bit architecture can only utilize 2 CPU cores, and 64 bit can take advantage of any number of them.

When it comes to BiaB the issue is twofold: First, as generating and regenerating RTs is CPU intensive, with multiple cores this would be exponentially faster. That is a quad core vs a dual core would not cut a regen time from, say 20 seconds to 10, but more like 20 seconds to 5 or even less.

The second has to do with VSTs, which, in itself has two components. First is the fact that many manufacturers of plugins are releasing their current products without 32 bit support. For instance, there are certain Native Instrument products that will only work in Reaktor 6, and Reaktor 6 only works in 64 bit. Second, if you are just using a simple VST for adding some chorus or distortion, that's no biggie. But say you want to play a MIDI string track through a very advanced orchestral VSTi (VST instrument). These can use gigabytes of samples for every possible articulation requiring tremendous amounts of processing power for which a quad-core CPU is the minimum requirement, let alone the recommended spec. This is why a lot of VSTis will have "purge" features, so that samples not in a particular track will not be loaded. For instance, if your score does not call for staccato strings, it will "purge" the dozens of staccato samples for each instrument in an entire string section instead of loading them up so that they are standing at the ready should your MIDI track need it to play instantly. In short, advanced, sophisticated VSTis pretty much require 64 bit functionality.

Again, I could be wrong about much of this. When the folks from other time-zones (who actually know their stuff) come online I'll probably be corrected on many of these points!

Edited by DeaconBlues09 (Today at 01:10 AM)

#495965 - 18 minutes 8 seconds ago [Post your own Tips and Tricks here] Re: Try this if your VSTs don't won't load despite you having downloaded both 32 and 64 bit versions [Re: DeaconBlues09]
drutgat Online   content
Enthusiast

Hi Deacon,
Many thanks for that information - it is very useful.

I had anticipated that things would move fully to 64 bit at some point, but have not really done any tracking for about a year so I am out of the loop, so to speak.

Talking of different time zones, I have again been up all night, so must get some sleep. It is early here in the EST time zone.\

Thanks again.

PG Music News
Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Happy National Techies Day!

Happy National Techies Day to all our program users! And, a special thanks / shout-out to all of our BETA testers - you're a big part of our Band-in-a-Box program!

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54385 Topics
449407 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken, Tim Radel

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 152