Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi fellows.
I watched Joanne Wilson-Cooper tutorials. They are good, but are mostly focused on using Realband. She has shown couple of tunes she made with BIAB which cover basics.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a more complex, complete backing track tutorial, from Intro to End. Not random bits of the program examples, but a video of single song (backing track) made in BIAB from start to finish, without use of RB?

P.S. Hopefully 2017-2018 versions.

I thank you in advance,
Mike.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Hi fellows.
I watched Joanne Wilson-Cooper tutorials. They are good, but are mostly focused on using Realband. She has shown couple of tunes she made with BIAB which cover basics.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest a more complex, complete backing track tutorial, from Intro to End. Not random bits of the program examples, but a video of single song (backing track) made in BIAB from start to finish, without use of RB?

P.S. Hopefully 2017-2018 versions.

I thank you in advance,
Mike.

Any song in particular you have in mind?

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
DeaconBlues09,

Sounds tempting already. I am not picky smile Pop, Rock, Latin, Country, Folk, Blues, Fusion...
What I want to see how people create interesting intros, breaks..., utilize stops, rests, holds, endings in one project / one song scenario. From A-Z.

Not just a chip from a cookie, but the cookie itself smile Like watching Bob Ross create a painting sort of a deal.

Thanks.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
DeaconBlues09,

Sounds tempting already. I am not picky smile Pop, Rock, Latin, Country, Folk, Blues, Fusion...
What I want to see how people create interesting intros, breaks..., utilize stops, rests, holds, endings in one project / one song scenario. From A-Z.

Not just a chip from a cookie, but the cookie itself smile Like watching Bob Ross create a painting sort of a deal.

Thanks.

Oh, I thought you meant a backing track for a cover song. For what you describe, what you can find on PG Music's YT channel. There are tutorials going back for years that still hold up.

FWIW, I used to travel quite a bit on public transportation, and when I first purchased BiaB in 2016, I loaded up every single video from the past five years onto my tablet and learnt a ton from watching almost all of them at least twice!

Band-in-a-Box 2021 PlusPAK w 2019 Bonus Pak. Custom Build Desktop PC W/ Windows 10 Home 64-bit. CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k @ 3.7GHz (6 core x 6 threads) RAM: 16GB DDR4. Storage 238GB SSD + 2.7 TB HDD. GPU: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I know there are tons of videos. I watched quite a few....but find it a bit surgical, I want to see example of how whole project is created.
I am looking for a video similar to which Joanne made for her song, but with one using more advanced/compex techniques as described above.

A person making a backing track (on BIAB, not RB) for his/her song and sharing the process.

Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Are you talking about a song done completely in BIAB? I think most of us use multiple programs in conjunction with BIAB. Some prefer Real Band since it comes with the program. Myself I export everything to Cubase.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
I know there are tons of videos. I watched quite a few....but find it a bit surgical, I want to see example of how whole project is created.
I am looking for a video similar to which Joanne made for her song, but with one using more advanced/compex techniques as described above.

A person making a backing track (on BIAB, not RB) for his/her song and sharing the process.

Hey,

At the risk of coming across like an a-hole, at some point you just gotta dive in and start experimenting. All the information is literally out there. We live in astonishingly incredible times, where dozens tutorials are posted free to view on the internet, as well as the manuals--that are now readily available online.

You simply need to absorb each bit of information and get experiment as you go along. In fact, when I acquired this program, my intention was not to record songs, but to have a jam partner, and use the notated realtracks to learn licks from. However, once I started messing around with the program more and more, and diving deeper into its capabilities and functions, I became so fascinated with the program that I started watching videos and reading and re-reading the manual until I got to know the program rather well. Now with Reaper, I started using it to collab online with artists that wanted someone to play live bass or guitar on their track so I got into that as well, because using Reaper tracks made it easy to share and collab back and forth, and the recording process is very simple and accessible.

All that said, after I acquired all this knowledge, I still wasn't really interested in recording songs! In fact, I have recorded exactly two songs the entire time I've had the program, and both were for the Xtra Styles Pak 5 contest, because I wanted to win for the $150 in PG Music cash (although I'd be lying if I didn't admit that once I got down to it, I enjoyed the whole process immensely!).

To conclude, you gotta just do it. Start with some sort of vision, and whenever you get stuck, hit up the forums here and you'll get all the help you need at each step.

Oh, and one more thing, I've personally observed that, for me at least, the number one procrastination technique is trying to learn more instead of doing. The reason that this technique is so seductive is that you can pat yourself on the back for acquiring more knowledge while avoiding the self-loathing that comes along with avoiding doing what you know you should be doing, e.g. making music.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Samuel, Deaconblues...

Of course, I understand that usually track/tracks go elsewhere after BIAB.

I can get around BIAB without major problems. I just want to see a workflow on whole complex backing track from start to end in BIAB. By "END", I mean before it goes other places like DAW.

Deaconblues, of course I experiment.., this is all what it is about for me. I do not believe that watching a workflow of someone else will diminish my desire to be creative smile

As per my initial request, if someone knows a good video, similar to Joanne Wilson-Cooper, but of more compex arrangement done in BIAB from start to end, kindly post.

Thank you.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Have you seen the one Floyd Jane did? If not maybe it will be what you are looking for. It's mostly about songwriting but he also gets into the mechanics of building the backing track for the song he is composing.

It's a sticky post, second post from the top on the user showcase forum: "Announcing... The Birth of a Song – Extended Version! (with Floyd Jane)"

Maybe this link will work: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=454428#Post454428

Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dave,
Thank you for the post! Not quite what I was looking for, but enjoyed it and actually picked up couple of interesting points, especially how Floyd Jane came back to BIAB to make several takes of Solo guitar/s to audition and use in DAW after main tracks where laid

It always interesting to see processes of musicians and not robot speaking reps. Robots speak the truth, but so is the manual.

Strange that BIAB was in town for so long and there are only a sprinkle of videos that actually show whole process of a single project in depth.

If anybody knows of any other complete BIAB project videos, kindly share.

Thank you,
Mike.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
I just want to see a workflow on whole complex backing track from start to end in BIAB. By "END", I mean before it goes other places like DAW.

If it's going to a DAW, why do the work in BIAB?

I do most of my work in the DAW. I generate the tracks in BiaB, typically creating multiple takes for each instrument. I just keep regenerating that track, and save each new take with a different name (BASS_1, BASS_2, etc.).

If I had a solo that I wanted a bunch of takes for, I might create a separate BiaB file with only the chord progression the solo plays over - say, 8 bars long - and set it to repeat a bazillion times. I'll export that out as a .wav file, and slice it up in my DAW.

Once I've got my .wav files generated, I fire up the DAW, and start slicing and dicing, choosing the best takes. I can always fire up BiaB and render some more tracks if needed. Easy peasy.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David +1 Thank you:) I am getting there.

But nevertheless, I like to get my "bones" be as close as possible to what I want before moving to DAW. Especially things like:
Distinctive intros, style changes at bars, bridges, use of holds, stops for breaks, interesting endings....etc and most importantly to see it done in one project/one song.

Or even as you mentioned, regenerating single instruments and saving them as A,B,C... Question arises right away. How do "re-generations" affect changes at bars/ mutes, style changes. Interesting stuff.

Just curious how people do things, to gather some ideas of workflows etc.

Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Question arises right away. How do "re-generations" affect changes at bars/ mutes, style changes.

It's the other way around. Each regeneration still follows the changes, holds, shots, parts, and so on that are indicated on the track. BiaB simply has the option of generating a slightly different track using material from the selected RealTrack.

To regenerate a track, go to the instrument, Track Actions, (re)Generate this RealTrack, and then Track Actions, Save track as .WAV file. Each regeneration follows the same changes as indicated by the part markers (A/B) so the verses/choruses have different feels.

However, I generally won't change styles in the BiaB chordsheet. Instead, I'll generate different RealTracks for an instrument. For example, I might generate bass tracks in the styles Bass, Acoustic, Bowed HeldSimple and Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held. Then in the DAW, I can slice and dice those tracks into a single bass track.

Similarly, I may generate the piano tracks Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzRock Ev16 100 and Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzRockHeld Ev16 100. In the DAW, I can slice and dice so the piano switches between held and rhythmic chord tracks. I'll also generate a couple different pianos (acoustic and electric, simple holds and rhythmic) so I have options when I'm arranging the song.

To create a solo, I may generate six or more tracks by the solo instrument. Then I'll build the solo by taking my favorite bits from each solo. The various phrases might not even be in the same order. I may like the first few notes of one phrase, and then glue them onto a different ending.

I also keep an ear out for distinctive patterns. If there's something that I particularly like in one of the tracks, and can copy and paste it throughout the track so it becomes a repeating motif.

These are all things that (for me) make more sense to do in my DAW, rather than BiaB. You can do the same thing in RB, but I happen to be more comfortable with my DAW.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Beginners Forum
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Here is an oldie but goodie that may interest you. This link does not have all six videos but you may find the others by searching. These videos also use to be located in tutorials here on the PGMusic forum. I haven't searched to see if they are still up. Worthwhile to watch though.

Band in a Box and Realband by Dfizzbom

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Beginners Forum
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Charlie, thank you for the link! I liked how the guy prepped his drum fills /rolls ahead of time at the end of his project to slice them later.

David, the more I think about your post, the more I like it. Thank you for detailed info! It seems very reasonable scenario for what I am doing. I probably set my expectations high for BIAB as far as track assembly program. Probably I have to re-think approach, to use it mainly as engine and use more DAW muscle to get things situated.

This is very similar to how I used to do backing tracks from hardware arranger boxes years ago. I extracted part variations from box to DAW as audio and then fooled around with them. I stepped out of song writing for several years, now trying to get back the "lost years" smile

Again,
Thank you for your input!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,503
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195