Woodshedding - Learning to Play!
D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hi Folks,
I am hoping that you can provide some tips, suggestions and perhaps links to resources with a problem I have been having.

I stopped singing for about 18 months, and started again early this year.

Although, as a 55 year-old guy I expect some degradation of my voice as I age, I was shocked that I had lost some of my vocal range, and that my voice is a bit shakey (not that I have a great voice or range anyway).

I cannot even sing some of my own songs properly.

I have been trying to sing each day (bet my neighbours love the combination of that and me playing electric guitar along to various CDs) in an effort to get back to where I was.

Do you have any advice to help with this?

I was thinking of taking a Skype lesson (if possible) with Nashville based artist/vocal teacher Susan Anders, to see what she would suggest.

I am grateful for any suggestions you might have.

Thanks.

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon
Veteran
Veteran
These videos from VoiceLesson.com on youtube will help you and show you what to do. They really work. smile

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-pOsbaC39z-7_nbBDbBw0OQOFIk3_T2j

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have no specific recommendations, but I heartily support getting professional help with this.

There are plenty of vocal exercises that you can to to build up your strength and range, but getting a pro to listen and help put together a program is money well spent.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I have no specific recommendations, but I heartily support getting professional help with this.

There are plenty of vocal exercises that you can to to build up your strength and range, but getting a pro to listen and help put together a program is money well spent.

Hi David,
Many thanks for this.

I will definitely get some professional help with this.

Thanks, again.

"If The Beatles or the 60's had a message, it was 'Learn to swim'. And once you've learned - swim!"
John Lennon
D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Sundance
These videos from VoiceLesson.com on youtube will help you and show you what to do. They really work. smile

Sundance,
Many thanks for the link.

I will check it out right now.

John Lennon
Expert
Expert
Don't forget physical exercise. Sometimes injuries or health issues can prevent exercise. Then our voices get weaker. A good exercise routine is critical and often over looked.

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hi Tobias,
Many thanks for your reply.

You raise an excellent point, particularly in my case, as I spent an inordinate amount of time in sedentary activities such as being on the computer, and playing guitar.

It is a shame that my interests and passions are all ones which do not involve exercising (although I was thinking about it today).

I have the means, but not yet the will. However, I know from past experience that I can get back into excercising.

Thanks again.

John Lennon
Journeyman
Journeyman
Don't know if you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, just an inquiry. As you get older the vocal cords get dryer and any of these will make your vocals sound worse. Aerobic exercise will help with the lung capacity, maybe get in some good trail hiking a couple times a week, some fresh clean air and trails that get you huffing and puffing. Get a good healthy diet and do some warm-ups and vocal exercises from 5 - 15 minutes a day. There are lots of free vocal warm-ups and exercises on YouTube, pick ones you like. Oh, make sure you drink enough water to keep the chords lubricated.

Last edited by Belladonna; 10/13/18 11:43 AM.
D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Belladonna
Don't know if you smoke, drink alcohol or caffeine, just an inquiry. As you get older the vocal cords get dryer and any of these will make your vocals sound worse. Aerobic exercise will help with the lung capacity, maybe get in some good trail hiking a couple times a week, some fresh clean air and trails that get you huffing and puffing. Get a good healthy diet and do some warm-ups and vocal exercises from 5 - 15 minutes a day. There are lots of free vocal warm-ups and exercises on YouTube, pick ones you like. Oh, make sure you drink enough water to keep the chords lubricated.

Hi Belladona,
Many thanks for your reply, and your helpful suggestions.

I am a vehement anti-smoker, and have never smoked, although I was around a lot of second-hand smoke as a kid.

I have really cut down on drinking over the past year or so - maybe a pint or two of beer in a whole month, although I used to drink a lot more.

But I do fall down on the exercise front.

I followed the link recommended by David (above), and have started to do vocal exercises, and will continue to do so.

Thanks, once again.

Last edited by drutgat; 10/13/18 12:22 PM.

John Lennon
Journeyman
Journeyman
Sounds like you've got the healthy eating pretty together. What about coffee and/or tea? I would really only have one cup a day, again it's hard on the vocals when you're older. A lot more water is probably the key and good aerobic exercise to get those lungs pumping.

D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I gave up coffee in 1986 (!), but that I have about 5 - 10 cups of orange pekoe tea/week.

And I have deliberately been drinking water (not as much as I should, because I hate running to the bathroom every five minutes) every day for the last three or four years.

I was saying in an email to a friend in an email earlier today that I am going to start exercising again.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

John Lennon
Veteran
Veteran
I can relate drutgat. The pic you see flashing on the left was taken a week before surgery two months ago. Since then I spent a lot of time in my recliner and gained 4lbs. I've been adding more walking and physical activity in my regular day but doing it very slowly and steadily. Baby steps works better than jumpiing in - according to research slowly gradually working your way into an exercise routine that works for you gives you better odds of sticking with it. You don't want to injure yourself or get burned out and quit. Glad you found the videos helpful.

D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Hi Josie,
I am really sorry to hear that you have faced such a challenge, but am glad to hear that you are obviously recovering.

And I wish you well with that process. As you say, slowly working one's way into an exercise routine gives one better odds of sticking with it.

I really have no excuse, though, except to say that all my interests (playing, watching, and listening to music) are sedentary. But I have two pieces of exercise equipment 10 and 15 feet away from me, so I just need to turn the TV on and get on the rowing machine.

I find walking really boring.

Good luck with everything, and thanks for the encouragement.

By the way, I really liked your version of 'Be My Baby' - left a comment to that effect on YT yesterday.

Take care.

John Lennon
Expert
Expert
We have an elliptical machine in the living room with the TV in view. My wife uses it way more than I do.
Maybe your desire to sing more will motivate you to get more exercise.
If you need more motivation here I'll give you some;
PICK UP THE PACE YOU LITTLE GRUB WORM! DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE BOY SCOUTS OR SOMETHING? DROP AND GIVE ME 20! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT I'LL TAKE YOU BACK TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE FOR MILK AND COOKIES. THEN YOU CAN TAKE A LITTLE NAP YOUR TEDDY RUXPIN!
There, Does that help?

Does the noise in your head bother me ?
D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Tobias
We have an elliptical machine in the living room with the TV in view. My wife uses it way more than I do.
Maybe your desire to sing more will motivate you to get more exercise.
If you need more motivation here I'll give you some;
PICK UP THE PACE YOU LITTLE GRUB WORM! DO YOU THINK THIS IS THE BOY SCOUTS OR SOMETHING? DROP AND GIVE ME 20! IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE IT I'LL TAKE YOU BACK TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE FOR MILK AND COOKIES. THEN YOU CAN TAKE A LITTLE NAP YOUR TEDDY RUXPIN!
There, Does that help?

Laugh? I nearly cried. laugh

That was brilliant, Tobias - many thanks.

Great motivation (you must have done this before).

And, yes, you are right my desire to sing more and to regain my previously-mediocre-but-that's-alright-with-me voice is motivating me more to get back to exercizing (plus, I assume I will be more attractive to the female species wink ).

Thanks again.

John Lennon
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Sundance

I tried the first one, the humming exercise, and am definitely going back for more. Bookmarked. Thanks.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Expert
Expert
Here's a tip on the internet:

1) Breathe in, breathe out, controlled exhale; meaning, variable pressure, under control. (Note: tightening of vocal chords raises pitch, more air pressure raises volume.
2) Breathe out, holding notes, singing scale, especially 1-5. Sound vowels, ah -- la -- ee -- oh, and dipthongs, ohm -- ong -- amm.
Now, here is the tip:
While exhaling, engage vocal chords for a couple of seconds. Sound a note. Then, disengage vocal chords but continue to exhale in one continuous motion. That's the trick. Use this to build (or rebuild) vocal strength.

D
drutgat Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: edshaw
Here's a tip on the internet:

1) Breathe in, breathe out, controlled exhale; meaning, variable pressure, under control. (Note: tightening of vocal chords raises pitch, more air pressure raises volume.
2) Breathe out, holding notes, singing scale, especially 1-5. Sound vowels, ah -- la -- ee -- oh, and dipthongs, ohm -- ong -- amm.
Now, here is the tip:
While exhaling, engage vocal chords for a couple of seconds. Sound a note. Then, disengage vocal chords but continue to exhale in one continuous motion. That's the trick. Use this to build (or rebuild) vocal strength.

edshaw,
Many thanks for this.

I will do this.

John Lennon
Expert
Expert
You are most welcome, drutgat. We improve a little bit at a time. If we are lucky, we have found teachers who have gotten us on the right track. Here's another one I found helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7uJg3PgPE
I'm not very good at making that lip sound like he does, but found making the lips move like playing a trumpet is easier for me, and still works; that is, gets results. (This ties in with that previous tip.)

Journeyman
Journeyman
The voice coach is teaching lip trills or we also call them motorboat. Kids sometimes do this when mimicking a motor running.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199