Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
iXaarii Offline OP
OP Offline
(I'm a beginner at music theory so please forgive me if I use the wrong wording)

For me, one of, if not THE most valuable feature of Band in a Box is it's ability to turn numbers into chords, so i type in 1 and I get the 1 chord of the key and 5 to get the tonic 5 chord. This seems to work as expected for major chords, however very weirdly or plain wrong for minor chords?!? For example I set the key to Cm and type in 1 into a box. I'd expect Biab to convert that into Cm, but instead it fills in a Eb.

This seems to work fine for majors, so typing in a 1, 4, 5, 1 progression in say C major gets me C, F, G, C, as expected, however in C minor, that same 1,4,5,1 should i think translate to Cm, Fm, Gm,Cm, but instead it gives me Eb, Ab, Bb, Eb. Now I thought maybe I just don't know and Biab is picking inversions, but for example the 2chord in C minor should I think be Ddim, but Biab converts the 2 into an F upon hitting enter.

Similarly in Bminor, I believe 1 should be Bm, the 2 a C#dim, the 3 a DMaj/D ... while Biab converts that to D, E, F#. Maybe this is a better example as the above could be just an inversion, but as far as I understand Bm's 2 chord, C#dim is the notes C# + E + G, while the E chord should be E, G# B, so not the same notes in inversion, as far as I can understand things (which is granted limited).

I hoped this would be fixed last year at the transition to Band in a Box 2018 from the 2017 version, but even if this doesn't get patched I wanted to say that understanding how this may require extra work from you I would promise to buy the new 2019 version just for this feature if it gets implemented even if I may not buy it for a few more styles. It would mean a lot to me to be able to work with minor keys also, as well as other helpers in chord functions to composing.

Thank you for all your hard work and this amazing software! Please forgive me if I am missing something obvious. While as an amateur I have been using your wonderful software I'm quite the weak layman when it comes to music theory, yet, thanks to your amazing software magic I am still able to compose and I am for that forever thankful to you!

With great respect and gratitude!

Veteran
Veteran
Hi iXaarii,

If you go to "Options | Preferences" and then click on the "Display" button, you'll find a setting that relates to minor keys and chord displays. (see the image below)

Deactivate this setting and all should be well.

Regards,
Noel

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
In the option shown by Noel, it uses the term “relative major” key. Since you mentioned perhaps not being strong in music theory, I’m just checking if this is something you know: The two keys of Cm and EbMajor are related by the fact they share the same key signature. Likewise, Bm and DMajor.

For example, Am is the relative minor of CMajor (and CMajor is the relative major of Am). The key signature of both is no sharps and no flats when you play the scale starting on A or C respectively.

BIAB wasn’t picking notes at random, or wrong notes, when you entered your scale Roman numbers. This was identified a year or two ago as being confusing for some needs and the checkbox cited by Noel was added by PG Music after users requested it. But because of the music theory connection of relative major and minor, it was made an option for those of us who like it the way it was.

I hope that helps explain what’s going on, for you or anyone else confused by this.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
iXaarii Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for your answer. It is interesting however it does not solve the actual problem: Biab doesn't seem to understand minor keys like it does major keys, this is just a display option, not what chords are played.
With the toggle off, I type in 1 and I get a C. I think that means Biab plays a C, NOT, a Cm. With it on I type 1 and I get an Eb. Indeed, a C is more suggestive than Eb as to what i wanted but a C is a C major chord as far as I understand, and still not the more romantic C minor.

When I type in 2, in the key of C minor, I should get iidim, meaning D diminished. Instead with it checked off I get a plain D (major) and with it on, I get F, both being major chords, neither diminished flavor. Am I missing something? It is my understanding that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminished_triad sound/feel different than major triads.

More specifficaly: Ddim, which is what the the 2 chord in C minor key should be has the notes D – F – Ab. I get that any permutation of these would be fine, even if by another name. HOWEVER, Biab with the setting on gives me either the F chord, which has the notes F, A, C, while with the setting turned off it gives me a straight D chord, again a major. The D chord has the notes D, F#, A. See, neither of the two results has the note Ab, but instead A, leading to a musical dissonance if I try to make chord progressions in C minor.

I would love to use Biab to make minor chord progressions, using functional chords, however as it is right now I can't use it that way, and I am forced to always write in the chords by name instead of referring to their functions.

Thank you very much for your interest! I really hope this gets solved, at least in the next version if not through a patch.

iXaarii Offline OP
OP Offline
Matt Finley: thank you for your answer. I knew about the relative minors/majors, and I had noticed/guessed that, but that still doesn't solve the problem to me: if I write 2 in C minor key i expect to see there a Ddim as in
https://www.piano-keyboard-guide.com/c-minor-scale.html
"Chord ii: D diminished. Its notes are D – F – Ab."
if I get a D, those are different notes/chords/sounds differently and in that sense I see it as not working even if i do get a D instead of an F which i would get in the other setting with the relative minor/major.

Band in a Box plays something different if I insert a D instead of a Ddim or a Ddim instead of a D, and depending on they progression/key this could sound bad and mess up a song.

Am I missing something?
Thank you for your help!

iXaarii Offline OP
OP Offline
for an explanation of why I find this valuable say I make a progression based on a flow chart like this https://i.stack.imgur.com/XNCwK.png , the results of it should naturally work with an approach where I say pick the chords in a key and make a song based on that, and the two methods must work together, not clash, as it is currently, forcing me to type in all the chords by hand instead of making use of Biab's great automation (which by the way works fantastic for major keys, just not for minors)

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for that explanation; that makes sense.

I'm not aware of a setting in BIAB that can change this. I suggest you make a post in the BIAB Wishlist Forum.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
In both major and minor keys, BIAB does not put the chord-type information automatically.

I suspect that this decision was made so that different users could easily enter whatever extensions they wanted. In this regard, the numbers are designed to give the starting place for chord entry by providing the fundamental bass note and not the chord.

For example...

In the key of C major, if one types 2 <enter> or II <enter> or ii <enter> on the chord sheet, BIAB will enter D and not Dm (while D major is not the correct chord, D is the correct bass note for the chord on ii). This also applies to chord vi (minor) and chord vii (diminished).

Quote:
It is worth noting that, from a classical theory viewopint, II can mean either "the triad built on note two of the scale" or it can also mean simply "note two of the scale". Both are correct interpretations.

As I see it, BIAB's present system supports the second of the above two options.

That said, there is an inconsistency with minor keys.

I've just had a bit of play around with Nashville (numerals 1, 4, 5, etc.) and Classical notations (Roman numerals). With the setting deactivated in "Display", as mentioned previously, the minor-key note entry remains based on the parallel major scale.

What I've found is that if I set the key to A minor and enter iii (III or 3) on the chord sheet, I get C#; for vi (6 or VI), I get F# and for vii (7 or VII), I get G#. While F# and G# could arguably be based on the melodic minor, I personally feel that it would be better to base chord entry on the harmonic minor (the scale's name indicates that it's the minor scale used primarily for harmony).

This would give vi = f and vii = g#.

I have passed the above information on to the development team and have also referenced this thread so that all comments can be read.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
iXaarii Offline OP
OP Offline
thank you for doing that! I understand what you're saying about how it works now but crossing all fingers (and toes) in the hopes that future Biab versions will do a bit more of these automatic conversions with chord functions (and who knows, maybe even more modes other than just major and minor). Working with chord functions is I think incredibly rewarding, yet it's quite a chore because always looking up takes time and can lead to confusion, but this is EXACTLY where the magic of programming/software/Biab could find an amazing niche of awesomeness by taking this and doing it for the users.

A further example of what I'm talking about would be say the topic of this video https://youtu.be/7ONIzO3l-fw , the jazzy 2,5,1 progression, the advantages of thinking about it like that, and the pluses of going from major to minor... in all of these places it would be very veeery nice (and afaik a unique feature) for Biab to be aware (on a deeper level than the base note) of the functionality of chords.

Using something as powerful as say this https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/9e/0e/d79e0e4f1616d015e7b9fafc2dd998c8.jpg with Biab understanding and always converting the numbers to the correct chords depending on major/minor/modes would bring Biab a huge edge in bridging from music theory to awesome songs.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,501
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195