Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#50475 12/18/09 06:10 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It would be cool if you could create a custom chord, assign a name to it and use the name in the chord chart just like any of the other predefined chords.

Pat Marr #50476 12/18/09 08:57 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
It's not the same thing, but are you familiar with pgshortc.txt which allows you to define new chord names for existing supported chords? Take a look at how it works; it's interesting.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Journeyman
Journeyman
Although you cant save them, i find i can make just about any chord i want by moving the piano part to the soloist channel and getting the soloist harmony to add a note at any bar.

You can also use the velocity command in the style maker to target a note globally in all the patterns and remove it giving you patterns without the 3rd, 7th or 5th. You need to kill all the macro patterns ones though, it wont work for those. you could reimport them though via a midi file and style wizard.

You can even kill all the notes except for C4 in the patterns and tick the riff pattern box for each. What this gives you is the chance to build up unusual chords on the sheet a note at a time; you get to control everything. Simply type C or whatever note you want in each bar and it gives you that note. Copy your chord part to the melody or soloist channel then start a new sheet for the next note again each time merging it with the existing notes you made before.

Hope this helps

Alan

Last edited by alan S.; 12/19/09 06:13 AM.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
Quote:

It's not the same thing, but are you familiar with pgshortc.txt which allows you to define new chord names for existing supported chords? Take a look at how it works; it's interesting.

I've long wanted to assemble a personal library of chords that I name myself using that feature, but can't get my head around the cryptic instructions in the BIAB manual.

Let's say I want to write the modal name C PHR (short for Phrygian) instead of C7susb9. Matt, can you show me step-by-step exactly how I would do that?

Leovigild #50479 12/23/09 08:51 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
The shortcuts just let you enter chords the way you want to (usually to shorten the name of the chord, so you don't have to type so much); however, it will appear in the chord grid according to what it actually is.

So, you could have a short cut called CPHR, but it will still show up as C7susb9 in the chord grid (if that's even a supported chord; I don't know). You can't create new chords; you can only use the chords BIAB knows and understands. The chord builder lists what's available.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #50480 12/23/09 11:34 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
But Jooooohhn! I wanna C8aux#@&sus to the power of 2 with a dangling participle!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #50481 12/23/09 12:07 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Robh, that would be a C7odd.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Custom Chords would be a boon. While it may be less trivial to have styles recognize custom chord symbols, printouts should be able to support custom chords easily. One particular an often requested chord entry would be -> N.C.

Martin
MartinB #50483 12/23/09 12:20 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
N.C. +1

pgshortc.txt says it is there, but I can't get it to work:

[Email]NC@C.[/Email] no chord

EDIT - that's not a link; the forum software just thinks it is

Last edited by Matt Finley; 12/23/09 12:35 PM.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I have asked for N.C. before; haven't seen it yet. +1

Also (dare I say it), a dim triad without the 7th. How hard can it be for the style interpreter (which fully understands a major 1-3-5 chord to just flat the 3 and 5)?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

pgshortc.txt says it is there, but I can't get it to work:

[Email]NC@C.[/Email] no chord

Yup, it doesn't work and thus may safely be qualified as a bug.

This shorcut file is, however, s.th. rather different from having custom chords show up in the lead sheet. pgshortc.txt documents just shortcuts to otherwise predefined chord symbols. Entering NC should make C. show up - which it doesn't. It would be good to have N.C. show up on the lead sheet, or other custom chord symbols for that matter. Maybe BB2011 will provide some special mode particularly for notation and printouts ...

Martin
MartinB #50486 12/23/09 10:15 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I'm glad you concur that NC doesn't seem to work. Too bad.

Also, I didn't mean to imply that the existing shortcuts are a solution for custom chords, and I thought I said that. I just think it's an interesting technique that might be adaptable to custom chords if they become available in a future version.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Journeyman
Journeyman
Right now i'd settle for some additions to the chord list. I seem to remember Peter saying it wasn't a hard thing to do but seeing as how that was several years ago, and there's been nothing new since, you could have fooled me!

here's a few suggestions for starters

susMaj7 (really need this one!)
maj7 add 6
maj7 add4
Maj7#9
mMaj7b5
mMaj9
mMaj7#5
7 add6
7 add4

Also better support for 13th chords other than a few specialized voicings and ones on macro notes.
How the program is supposed to add a 13th when there isnt an 'A' in the voicing is a mystery but thats effectively what it has to be able to do. Having the 'A' in there as standard in every pattern would affect every chord played and that wouldnt be desirable either. The same problem exists with #11 voicings. When do you ever get the 5th along with the #11 as you probably should.?

Regards

Alan

alan S. #50488 12/24/09 02:00 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
L
Apprentice
Apprentice
L
If you guys don't know the THIRD MODE OF THE MAJOR SCALE, well, that's pretty sad.

I except alan s., one of the very few cats on this forum who is concerned, like me, with the EXOTIC matter of chords in music.

Leovigild #50489 12/24/09 03:25 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Why wluld you make such an assumption?

Amd why do you feel the need to SHOUT?

I think these guys know the Phrygian, 'K?

And, why do you think you are "one of the very few cats on this forum who is concerned" about it?

I think that is an assumption.

Some of us may not be so concerned about it as to shout or attempt to demean others, though.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200