Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#51090 - 12/21/09 02:08 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] SMF Live Playback?
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hello,

Is there live playback software that does the things ShowPlay 5 does? http://www.showplay.com/

Mostly I just playback Standard MIDI Files for my solo act and edit them beforehand with Cakewalk 6.0.

Being able to make playlists, scroll lyrics, loop sections on the fly, etc are all really important.

Presently I use an old serial port version of ShowPlay 3 and it would cost $250 to upgrade to the USB version. I use a Roland JV1010 module for the Standard MIDI File sound source.

I have no idea if BIAB or RealBand or Power Tracks are very well suited for live Standard MIDI File playback for my solo act and making playlists, scrolling lyrics, looping sections on the fly, etc.

Now don't get me wrong, BIAB, RealBand and Power Tracks look interesting and I am reviewing online demos etc and perhaps I will at some point want to use some version of PG Music software live in a more expanded manner...however my priority is specifically and to the point live Standard MIDI File playback for my solo act and making playlists, scrolling lyrics, looping sections on the fly, etc. with the grace and efficiency of ShowPlay 5 ttp://www.showplay.com/

Thanks so much,

Danny

#51091 - 12/21/09 02:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Danny A]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Danny,

Biab and RB are more suited for making the backing tracks. Those SMF files were probably made with Biab. Just a FYI.

Yes, they will play a SMF and show the lyrics.

Trax

#51092 - 12/21/09 02:12 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Danny A]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
Hi Danny, BIAB 2010 is more suited than ever to do live shows with. RealTracks generate in seconds - super fast! Couldn't go with anything better.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#51093 - 12/21/09 02:20 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: MikeK]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
I looked at showplay ... naw ... I wouldn't want that one even for free, to be honest.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#51094 - 12/21/09 02:32 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: MikeK]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I use .kar files, or midi files with lyrics embedded in both RB and PT, and it scrolls the lyrics and chords, and i find it to work very nice. Others prefer BiaB since it has the conductor feature and you can repeat a chorus or two with a click. I just do the songs as they are and it works great for me.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#51095 - 12/21/09 02:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Muzic Trax]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Danny,

Biab and RB are more suited for making the backing tracks. Those SMF files were probably made with Biab. Just a FYI.

Yes, they will play a SMF and show the lyrics.

Trax

Nope my SMF's were definitely not made by BIAB software. I am very familiar with the character and limitations of BIAB SMF's.

BIAB SMF's simply cannot get "note for note" equivalence of the actual covers tunes like a well programed SMF can.

#51096 - 12/21/09 02:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: MikeK]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Hi Danny, BIAB 2010 is more suited than ever to do live shows with. RealTracks generate in seconds - super fast! Couldn't go with anything better.

Cheers,
Mike

OK but can it get "note for note" equivalence of the actual covers tunes like a well programmed SMF?

I think I am very familiar with the character and limitations of BIAB SMF's (not RealTracks though as this is new to me). I need backing tracks not simply similar in overall style to the cover tune I am playing, I need "note for note" equivalence of the actual covers.

I can't imagine doing "Back In The USSR" by the Beatles or "Pipeline" by the Chantays or "Wild Horses" by the Rolling Stones using BIAB styles!

I say this because I have never heard a BIAB SMF that really came close to the three covers (as examples) mentioned.

However when it comes to Jazz / Pop standards then yes I have heard BIAB styles that get in the ballpark but that's because those tunes have been done by so many artists in so many different ways for so long that a "note for note" equivalence of the original not significant for my solo act.

However with more modern cover tunes BIAB styles don't cut it. And from what little I have heard of RealTracks though they sound much more realistic they are simply stylistic "quotes" and again cannot provide "note for note" equivalence of the original

Now maybe I am wrong about all this but that's been my experience to date and I would be happy to be shown to be incorrect!

#51097 - 12/21/09 03:11 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: MikeK]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I looked at showplay ... naw ... I wouldn't want that one even for free, to be honest.

Cheers,
Mike

OK that's fine. I have been using ShowPlay for years and I have not found anything yet that can playback SMF's with equal aplomb except maybe

MIDI Maestro for $100
http://www.midimaestro.com/index.html

Now since you wouldn't want that one even for free I exhume you must be able to use BIAB software live for a solo act in a way that can match ShowPlay?

In particular as to relates to making playlists, scrolling lyrics, looping sections on the fly and all the other live functionalities of ShowPlay including global transpose and global tempo etc?

I would be thrilled if you told me the some BIAB software can be used live with the aplomb of ShowPlay as I would prefer BIAB software (for its more creative functionalities) if it can be used live similarly to ShowPlay!

Obliged,

Danny

#51098 - 12/21/09 03:21 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Robh]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

I use .kar files, or midi files with lyrics embedded in both RB and PT, and it scrolls the lyrics and chords, and i find it to work very nice. Others prefer BiaB since it has the conductor feature and you can repeat a chorus or two with a click. I just do the songs as they are and it works great for me.

Yes if the SMF's have the "kar" extension then they contain lyrics however many of my SMF's do not have the "kar" extension.

Now with ShowPlay all I need to do is get a text files of the lyrics, and give it the same file name as the SMF and it will display the lyrics while it plays the SMF.

This suites me perfectly because I type in the chords above the lyrics in the text file and then entire song can be seen at once as opposed to scrolling lyrics.

Can BIAB software show an entire lyric text file at the same time as it play the SMF?

The thing is I am not a fan of scrolling lyrics, I want to see the entire lyric sheet (with the chord symbols above the lyric) all at once.

Can BIAB do this?

I would be thrilled if it can!

#51099 - 12/21/09 04:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Danny A]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

I hope you-all understand that I am in no way putting down BIAB software and I may end up buying it (for entirely different uses) but let's be clear with respect to this thread!

I do not want to make SMF's that simply have a style similar to the original cover tune. Therefore if I was to use BIAB software for my live solo act to make SMF's it would have to be "note for note" equivalence of the actual cover tunes like a well programmed SMF. I do not believe it can do this even using RealTracks (correct me if I am wrong).

Again I want the things that ShowPlay can do in a live setting for my solo act (including but not limited to):

- make playlists.
- scroll lyrics (even better would be to show the lyrics in their entirety via text files).
- loop sections on the fly.
- global transpose.
- global tempo.
- foot switch control.
- play from 1st note.
- sysex reset.
- all on-stage functions by single keystrokes
- Integrated word processor. Lyrics extracted from any MIDI or mp3, when present. Cut-and-paste from elsewhere. Insert images, i.e. scanned lead sheets. Scroll any lyrics over song's duration, with no work.
- Find songs just by typing letters. Works for title and artist alike.
- Screen layout completely configurable. Resize panels, indicators, lyrics area, etc.
- Never wait, songs load with no delay, no fuss.
- Lots of etc's.

Please check out the ShowPlay Features and tell me with assurance whether there is or is not BIAB software that can do these things with SMF playback for a live solo act.

ShowPlay Features
http://www.showplay.com/specs-detailed.htm

If there is no BIAB software that can emulate ShowPlay for a live solo act which of the things that ShowPlay can do, can BIAB software also do, and which ones can't it do?

Also any views on MIDI Maestro (which AFAICT) is the only true competitor to ShowPlay for SMF live playback, however MIDI Maestro seems more geared to theater use and multimedia. I'm not 100% sure though!

http://www.midimaestro.com/index.html

Truly appreciative and Merry Christmas!

Cheers,

Danny

#51100 - 12/21/09 04:18 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Danny A]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Danny if all you're doing is playing professionally made SMF you don't need any of the PG programs. This is a free one and is quite good in my opinion.

http://www.vanbasco.com/
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#51101 - 12/21/09 04:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: silvertones]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Danny,

. . . But welcome to a fellow JV-1010 user. Nice box, innit?

R.

#51102 - 12/21/09 05:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: silvertones]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Danny if all you're doing is playing professionally made SMF you don't need any of the PG programs. This is a free one and is quite good in my opinion.

http://www.vanbasco.com/

Well I do far more than simply play professionally made SMF's however as mentioned in my first post, as it specifically relates to live SMF playback and my solo act I edit them beforehand with Cakewalk 6.0.

You know...remove needless parts, channel-ize, convert from 0 to type 1 as needed, apply many types of normalization so that all my backing tracks have consistency, edit controller 7, remove mistakes, humanize, the usual stuff to make them sound professional (well more so any-who).

I used to build all my backing tracks from scratch in real time, but that was a long time ago, and with the plethora of easily available SMF's on the Internet it's not worth it for me any more. Now all I have to do is find the ones I like and edit them to taste.

As to the vanBasco MIDI file player it's very basic and does not have anywhere near the live functionality of ShowPlay or for that matter MIDI Maestro.

I would be very happy to be wrong on this but I keep my eyes and ears pretty open and have yet to see any dedicated live SMF players that can even approach either ShowPlay or MIDI Maestro!

Interestingly before the advent of SMF playback software and suitable laptops I used a Roland MC500 II (and before that a Yamaha QX1).

The Roland MC500 II can still do many things that most software based SMF players cannot touch (less the lyrics thing). In fact the Roland MC500 II can do a lot of what ShowPlay can do including loop points and foot-switch control! Alas it's 3.5" floppy based and its display sux and it's useless for lyrics.

The QX1 uses 5 1/4" floppies with a drive that constantly spun to improve random access and because the RAM was too low to load an entire song at once.

The price of progress I suppose.

#51103 - 12/21/09 05:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Ryszard]
Danny A Offline
Enthusiast

Quote:

Danny,

. . . But welcome to a fellow JV-1010 user. Nice box, innit?

R.

A totally killer box for the size and price! I have two of them and use one with my Axon AX100sb and one for SMF playback.

The one for my Axon AX100sb has the Orchestral Board installed; yum! Pretty silly front panel access but with SoundDiver on a wind98 machine all is well.

One day I am going to go the laptop - software route of sample playback for my Axon AX100sb and SMF's but...

REAKTOR 5 perhaps.

#51104 - 12/21/09 05:25 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: SMF Live Playback? [Re: Danny A]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

Ok so you want more then a player. You do extensive edits. That's all good. So now let's not talk BIAB let's talk Real Band. In RB you could take your note for note as you call them SMFs and import to RB. You can do a lot of editing right here. There are many parts within a song of the type you are doing that are nothing special. This is were Real Tracks can make your tunes really stand out. The same with Real Drums. I've played this music since I was 12 and I'm now 58 so I've done it a fair amount as well. You need to do the hooks, the stops etc. that make that song recognizable for what it is. If all you did was replace the crappy midi rhythm guitar players with Real Tracks & did Real Drums you'd pee your pants.
RB also has a juke box and you can do scrolling lyrics and a chord sheet.
BTW I used a Roland MC50II for many years. JV module, Alesis d4, strummer all the crap. I'm 100% RB.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Xtra Styles PAKs - Order Now... Sale Ends January 15th!

Hurry... all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE, but only until January 15th! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

The recently released Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 new RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

It's the LAST WEEKEND of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends on January 15th... it's your last weekend to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm
(learn more about the new features: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm)

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Bonus PAKs are Almost Gone!

Purchase your copy of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows during our special, which ends on January 15th, and it will include a FREE BONUS PAK!* Time is running out...

You can also choose to upgrade your Free Bonus PAK to the 2018 49-PAK for an additional $49! This will and add Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, ALL 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé. http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm#bonus49.

The Free Bonus PAK includes Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, 10 MIDI SuperTracks, 7 Instrumental Studies, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles bonus and 52 Loops - learn more at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm.

*The $49 Pro Upgrade does not include the Free Bonus PAK, any RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks or other Add-ons.

Forum Stats
26943 Members
49 Forums
49653 Topics
406295 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
WVC20, DaveLee, PhilS, San Antonio, MrRodger

26943 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 324
VideoTrack 288