Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#52580 - 01/12/10 08:38 AM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Pat Marr]
Jeff Payne Offline
Enthusiast

Noel96,

I am seriously trying to be your friend by telling you the honest truth, as I see it. I do not believe that Craig is doing so (of course, my opinion). The bright side of your song is that it is catchy (hooky) and sort of infectious. If you improved on the story line (lyrically) and made the production changes I mentioned you could have an outstanding song. That is called rewriting, and the best writers often do it dozens of times before they have a gem.

As to your question, look for me on broadjam as Jeff Payne from Texas. I'm just really breaking into secular music but we've already had a number one bluegrass on there. My worship songs are sung in churches throughout the U.S.

I'd rather massage your song than your ego, as it appears you have real talent, and you could write something substantial if you refuse to quit too soon.

#52581 - 01/12/10 11:08 AM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Jeff Payne]
moohead Offline
Expert

Loc: Bradenton Florida
"I'm just really breaking into secular music"

Worship music is lyrically different than pop/rock music. I think this is why your critiques analyze the lyrical content of songs.

Some of us write for God. Others write for listeners. Still others write for ourselves.

Moo

#52582 - 01/12/10 12:45 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: moohead]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

Some of us write for God. Others write for listeners. Still others write for ourselves.

Moo

even beyond lyrical preference, there is no single standard for what makes a song appealing. Some listen for meaningful lyrics, and pay no attention to the musicianship or recording quality. Some only like to hear blazing solos, and care nothing for the words at all. Others pay special notice to production details. (and many more preferences in between)

The music industry is fixated on a specific formula for musical success. Those who are trying to break into that world are well-advised to learn and adhere to those rules. The down side is that such rigid adherence to a paradigm eventually leads to a bunch of songs that all sound alike.

If you don't care about breaking into "the industry", you have more leeway to experiment and do what pleases you and the people who are your natural audience.

There seems to be a naturally occurring phenomenon of outsiders who break the rules and discover a new sound that eventually gains wide acceptance and isn't an "outsider" thing anymore.

It begs the question of whether the logical left brain should control the creative right brain activity, or whether the creative right brain activity should redefine the logic that drives the logical left brain...

What do YOU think?

#52583 - 01/12/10 01:39 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Pat Marr]
Jeff Payne Offline
Enthusiast

Pat Marr,

I agree with you. That being acknowledged a sow's ear is still not a silk purse. I am not saying this song is a sow's ear, just that rules are made to be broken mostly by those who understand them in the first place.

The lyrical and production critiques I gave this brother are valid and basically still apply. Paying attention to details such as these does not make homogeneous, formulaic music. These kinds of details could make the difference between music your friends compliment and for whom the audience is very narrow, and music that enjoys broader acceptance and, therefore, has greater impact.

Please remember, before you respond defensively, that I started this post by writing, "I agree with you." Yes, this is all somewhat subjective, and "in the eye of the beholder," but (again not referring to this particular song) just because some people like crap, that doesn't mean we should all strive to produce more of it.

People in the grown up world, particularly song writers, accept and grow from criticism given with the right spirit and in the right way.

#52584 - 01/12/10 01:49 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Jeff Payne]
moohead Offline
Expert

"just because some people like crap, that doesn't mean we should all strive to produce more of it."

....and an example of "crap" might be what?

Moo

#52585 - 01/12/10 02:07 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Noel96]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
Quote:

Dan C: Dan, I appreciate your thoughts. I never think of myself as a performer but I think electronics can help a great deal in that regard.

All the best for 2010 and beyond!
Noel

Noel,

No matter if you think of yourself as a performer or not, it's what comes across to, and what your audience leaves with. And on this tune I left with a good feeling because of the lyric and music, but most of all beacuse of the heartfelt "performance" of yours interperting the lyric and the music. And regarding of what electronics are used, the bottom-line is that you are interperting notes and/or singing the lyric with human feelings. The electronics (to me anyway) is the frame of painting, while the painting itself is the performance. Now the frame can always be beautiful while the actual painting can run from anywhere from a piece of crap to a masterpiece, and everything inbetween.

I think it is flatfoot who says "when talent in the box is ready" etc. Then I might buy in to electronics being able to duplicate or replace the "painting" itself. Until then . . . nice performance man!

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#52586 - 01/12/10 02:09 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Jeff Payne]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Quote:

...look for me on broadjam as Jeff Payne from Texas

Thanks, Jeff. I enjoyed listening to the three songs I found there I congratulate you on each song's fine production.

Regards,
Noel

#52587 - 01/12/10 02:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Danny C.]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Hi Dan C.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. I'm still smiling Glad you liked listening to the song. It was written to be a fun/happy musical experience and I'm pleased that it worked for you.

All the best,
Noel

#52588 - 01/12/10 02:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Noel96]
Jeff Payne Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Noel96.

Mooman, I would not feel comfortable giving an example of "crap." I don't see how that criticism could in any way be constructive. I personally wouldn't bother commenting on a thread related to a song from a writer I did not feel exhibited the potential to write some really good, if not great music.

I commented about Noel96's song because I think he shows some real talent and, like I said, his tune was "hooky," which is a very good thing. A great number of the songs I've heard from forum members are not infectious. My own wife said, "There you go humming that song again." That's a huge plus for a songwriter. She was referring to Noel96's Brighter Day song, by the way.

#52589 - 01/12/10 02:27 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Jeff Payne]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

My wife said, "There you go humming that song again ... referring to Noel96's Brightest Day

Thanks for passing that on, Jeff. It made me chuckle. As I said before, I really do appreciate your comments and the fact that you took the trouble to type them up. Moreover, I know that they were given with a sincere, good heart. They have certainly given me "food for thought" and I know that that is what you intended. Again, thank you.

Happy songwriting,
Noel

#52590 - 01/12/10 04:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Noel96]
moohead Offline
Expert

About the song:

I like the chorus the best. It's bouncy, catchy and positive.
The hardest part is the bridge. It can be hard to write a good bridge. This bridge kinda slows things down. That's what needs to be re-worked. The structure is good, and getting back to the hook as quickly as possible is good thinking!!!

I have written only one decent bridge in my life. It is a real art.

It's nice listening to a bright, positive song.

Moo

#52591 - 01/12/10 06:57 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: moohead]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Thanks for having a listen, Moo. I'll take your comments on-board regarding the bridge. I'm with you, they can be a challenge to get right. Still, practice makes perfect!

All the best with your songs,
Noel

#52592 - 01/12/10 07:00 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Jeff Payne]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:

People in the grown up world, particularly song writers, accept and grow from criticism given with the right spirit and in the right way.

Hi Jeff,

I don't take any offense from your observations (not do I mean any). I only meant to offer a counterpoint to your point.

I agree with much of what you say. I went back and listened to Noel's song with your observations in mind, and I think you suggested some things that would be useful. The guitars do compete with the vocals, for example. But that gets into the realm of fine tuning. Most of the people on this forum HAVEN'T published 100 songs. Refinement of any craft happens by degree, and what is CONSTRUCTIVE criticism (notice I didn't say VALID criticism) varies at different points in the learning curve.

I don't agree with the mentality that Every kid gets an A on his report in order to avoid hurting anybody's feelings... in order to improve people DO need valid input, not false praise. Yet, even in a harsh and competitive environment we don't judge the undergrad by the same standards that we judge the professional. We judge the student by the skills he is expected to have mastered at his level. Most of the people in this forum are hobbyists, making music mostly for personal enjoyment, and that should be considered when offering strategies for improvement.

Regarding the topic of giving criticism in the right spirit:
It could probably be argued that starting out with the phrase "I was not exactly blown away by this song" was unnecessarily insulting, and not consistent with the goal of offering constructive criticism. Likewise the comments about crap and sow's ears. But people have different thresholds for that sort of thing. Noel's responses have all been quite gracious, so I must assume he's OK with your critique. Bottom line, the helpful stuff would have been just as helpful without the other statements.

#52593 - 01/12/10 07:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Pat Marr]
Jeff Payne Offline
Enthusiast

Pat Marr,

I agree with that. Noel96 my apologies if you were offended.

#52594 - 01/12/10 07:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: NEW SONG: The Brightest Day [Re: Pat Marr]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Pat: I liked reading your words. You have very eloquently described the overall philosophy that, from my experience, is present in this forum. That's one of the reasons I post songs here; people care. The other main reason that inspires me to post is that it might give others some ideas about how they also might (or might not) like to do things. I know that I've picked up quite a few tips by to listening to others' works and reading the comments that forum-users post.

Jeff: No offense taken.

Noel

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is Here - Up to 40% off Upgrades!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac with over 50 new features, 202 New RealTracks, 40 NEW Video RealTracks, 32 new MIDI SuperTracks, 108 new Instrumental Studies, 8 new Artist Performances, 52 new loops, and 40 AmpliTube presets with 37 associated styles!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade purchases until May 31, 2018 - save up to 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade!

This year we are celebrating 30 YEARS of Band-in-a-Box®! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2018.htm

If you check out http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm, you'll see the new 2018 package options available. To summarize:

Band-in-a-Box® Pro $129
Upgrade from Version 2017: $59 (reg: $69)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $69 (reg: $79)
Special 2018 Program Update from 2017: $49 **Requires Version 2017. Includes version 2018 program updates only. (No other Add-ons or Bonus PAK)

Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK $269
Upgrade from Version 2017: $89 (reg: $149)
Upgrade from Version 2016: $99 (reg: $159)

Band-in-a-Box® PlusPAK
Upgrade from Version 2017: $99 (reg: $129)
(The PlusPAK is designed to upgrade 2017 UltraPlusPAK & EverythingPAK users who are downloading their upgrade or do not want to purchase a new hard drive)

NEW! Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK Formerly the UltraPlusPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2017: $149 (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $169 (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition $669
Upgrade from Version 2017 Audiophile: $199 - limited time offer!
Upgrade from 2017: $479
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $499
Upgrade from any previous Audiophile: $299

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27498 Members
50 Forums
51758 Topics
427595 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
DSArts, giambamt, stev3nelz, Cyrus, donn

27498 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 421
zedd 193