Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#527028 03/02/19 05:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi there,

Some months ago I posted a song here and got very nice reactions. This should have encouraged me to send more numbers, but I did not post more songs. Why that was, I don't know. Yes, wait... I do know. I did not know what I can ask from you, beside listening to that song.
And here I am again. With another song I recently made. It's called Maybe. And I still want you to listen to it, but I have question as wel.
I made the song in BiaB and the style is called Wounded, although I changed some of the instruments.
What I noticed is that all instruments stop where you want them too (luckily), but if you want them to play just a little longer to avoid 'hard cuts' I can't see how to do that other than in a DAW. Although not a really tough point, I do hope one of you can tell if that can be avoided. The chord-options button does noy do this job.
Let me know if you know.
And give me your opinion of the song if you want. As honest as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/maybe

Thanks anyway and a nice weekend
Hans Berkhout

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Birchwood #527030 03/02/19 06:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, I really enjoyed your song, it's very good! The vocal on this is outstanding and the acoustic guitar work in this is perfect. I don't know if I understand your question correctly or not, but if it's about the held chord at the end, I have found that if I will set the ending bar about 8 measures past the last held chord, this will cause (not always but most of the time) the chords to sustain longer. I then edit out that last chord which will sound 8 measures later and do a fade of the sustained chord in my DAW. Sorry if this isn't what you meant. Thanks, Torrey

Birchwood #527038 03/02/19 06:50 AM
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Good song...
Your voice sounds really good...
I enjoyed listening!

Jim
†=☮&♥
Birchwood #527055 03/02/19 08:27 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Jim and Torrey. I almost blush (a little)about your compliments.
And Torrey, it is exactly what you wrote. But my English is insufficient for these technical matters.
But (the big BUT)I have tried a bit of that as well. The thing is, in BiaB the melody sounds bad and because I record my singing in BiaB it always confuses me. So I thought, maybe (!) there is another solution.

But thanks a lot anyway. You gave me another idea: do what you say and shorten the instruments (if not solo and melody) in the chord-options.
Nice day,
Hans Berkhout

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Birchwood #527109 03/02/19 01:20 PM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hi Birchwood, wowzers! This sounds very full and I really dug the chord progression. That guitar tone is very warm! - Little too much reverb in my humble opinion but if thats' what you were going for fill your boots! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Joe
Birchwood #527138 03/02/19 03:46 PM
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Hi Hans,

What a really nice song you uploaded for us to hear! I very much liked it! Joe mentioned the reverb, but I think it was fine as it is, but this is obviously a matter of personal taste. smile

About your question, I think Torrey gave you a good answer - I too experiment with how many bars to use in the ending or when (at which bar) to hold a certain instrument, etc. If things doesn't work out then you are right... fix it in your daw.

Thanks a lot for sharing such a nice song!
Will

Birchwood #527177 03/02/19 10:37 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very lovely song Hans, I enjoyed my listen a lot and in my own opinion I wouldn't change anything

Birchwood #527182 03/02/19 11:19 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lovely song.
you either have a halo of proximity effect from your mic or the reverb/delay/chorus is creating an additional effect. It smears your vocal a little.
You have a nice vocal tone - it may also be effected by almost clipping or hitting a limiter.
I don't know which.
The vocal does seem a little loud.
Good job avoiding or dealing with essing and plosives though.
Cool song and arrangement.
Well done.
Sorry I can't help you with the issue you asked about.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Birchwood #527186 03/02/19 11:46 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good morning (Dutch time) to you all,

Joe, Will, Furry and Ray C (sounds like a Popgroup) thank you very mutch for your comments.
I am very pleased with your compliments. And Furry, I had the same thing when having a problem. When I was young I had a nice voice and could reach BeeGee-hights easily. But that was way back. Now I had to get used to my 'new' much lower voice. I hated that voice at first. But you must find yourself te songs/melodies that fit with the voice. In your case? Try opera ;-)

And concerning the reverb. That's always a problem, too much, too little. I mostly choose a plate reverb for a middle sized room.
In the DAW I never add reverb (and follow the advise of Will and Furry -a bit-).

And Ray, I use a Gemini II mic from SE and if I sing close to it, it gives that tonal effect. But don't use that in a song where loud singing is needed.

With your compliments in my pocket I will continue making songs and let you hear them, ok?

Nice day,
Hans Berkhout

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Birchwood #527245 03/03/19 10:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the instrumentation, especially the cello: it accentuates the mood of the song. I enjoyed the melody of the chorus and I like the way you ended the song on the word "alone."

Birchwood #527247 03/03/19 10:23 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I really enjoyed what you did with this song. Thanks for taking the time to post it on the forum!

Cheers,
Ember
Birchwood #527331 03/04/19 05:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Ember and Ezekiel,

Thanks for your comments. Especialy that 'Cheers'.
And to use Ezekiel's remark: not 'alone'.

I like using cello's or violins. It gives more dimensions to a song.
Although, lately I used a harmonica in a song. That was quit a challenge if you are used to the ones I mentioned.
My son didn't like the tone of it, so I made it (Song: Fat Guy, on Soundcloud)

Thanks again,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Birchwood #527403 03/04/19 03:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
First of all, very good tune. I like progression, choice of instruments and vocals!

I might be not the right guy to professionally comment, so consider this is as a honest opinion of average listener. It seems to me that vocals are a bit detached from main backing track. Feels like it resides in high frequency than the rest and a bit loud. I would try fool around with trying to blend vocals better in the mix.

Thank you for posting,

Misha.

Birchwood #527482 03/05/19 06:09 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really well done smile As others mentioned your vocals on this are really superb. Love the progressions, and thought it was nicely catchy as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Deryk
Rustyspoon# #527485 03/05/19 06:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
cry Hi Misha,

You were right about the volume. I 'fooled' around with the mixer and volume and now it must fix better in the mix (I think).

Thanks for your suggestion, and of course your compliments as well!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Deryk - PG Music #527486 03/05/19 06:20 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks very much,Deryk,

I already wrote I blushed (a bit) because of the reviews, but that colour is still there...

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Birchwood #527723 03/06/19 04:44 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice song. Loved the vocal. The guitar was excellent and the cello was such a nice touch. Well done.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Scott C #527767 03/07/19 04:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Scott,

I saw your note on my Soundcloud, like this one. Thanks very much.
The cello is always a sensitive instrument, during the ages I believe.
I have the impression more songwriters seem to be using this instrument nowadays, don't you agree? Even with electronic music. So nice times ahead ;-)

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Birchwood #527773 03/07/19 05:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well done...it hits that nice mellow spot but stays engaging.

I almost always comp endings in my DAW doing what Torrey suggested or using held chords or fades, etc.

Do you have your song setting set to generate a four bar ending? That helps also.

Enjoyed the song!

J&B

Janice & Bud #527787 03/07/19 06:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks J&B, for compliments and the hint.
I have set the songsetting to a 2-bars ending. I will try the 4-bars ending, but will that also prevent the abrupt stopping of instruments during the song? For the start of instruments I often start one bar early (especcialy solo's). That works out nice. Not at the end. It's not a big problem, only a littlebit anoying.

I hadn't heard your music till now, I thought. When listening to a couple of your songs just now, I remembered hearing that voice! So nice.

Sincerely,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199