Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Anyone here thought of it.
With the way real tracks uses real instruments I think there is a great open door to make backing tracks that would be better than any midi file backing tracks company out there.
It would take a few of us and it would take a while to get going. But with the material in real tracks and great wisdom and talent of a few folks here, we could do a good business and work from home doing what we love.
Anyone interested? Anyone have any ideas. Of course we would do it all legit and pay the royalties and license fees.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The backing tracks aspect is a unique idea.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
E
Expert
Expert
E
If you mean 3rd party Real Tracks, yes I've discussed this here on the forums. A huge need if you think about it.
That was the carrot.

Here is the stick>While it is possible to make 3rd party (ie your own) Real Drum tracks, it is not yet possible with Real Tracks.
Maybe Peter will decide to make this available, maybe not.

Food for thought and a good thread, hope Peter is reading......

Ed

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
No, he is saying create backing tracks to standard and popular songs for others to use.. (I think)

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I don't think you'll satisfy the customer's desire to hear the proprietary riffs and hooks that are in many popular songs with only RealTracks involved.

And then there's the matter of licensing and copyrights. Not a hurdle, but certainly something that must be addressed beforehand and handled properly.

I think the licensing issue won't be as difficult as those riffs and hooks, though, they may prove to be the kill.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
We have enough talent around here to do any hooks or riffs. In fact I could do anything on electric or acoustic guitar as some others here can.
I could also do almost any background vocals or harmonies.

Most of the tracks on the market are no where near professional. I think there is a real need-

1 single vocalists need them who don't play instruments.

2 duos use them to add instrumental flavor.

3 due to cost cutting measures and duo to the economy small venues find it hard to afford bands.

4 there are very few or no companies producing ass kicking professional backing tracks.
We could do it and I've already proven it with some of my own tracks that I've done.

5 once you get a good web site going you can get the attention of advertisers.

I know we have many great instrumentalists here and even folks with web design experience.

I think we have everything we need.

I'm just dreaming here. But anything is possible.

Anyone who is interested pm me and we will consider options and possibilities.

Last edited by edbulmer; 12/29/09 08:40 PM.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I"d be interested. I've done a few with a combo of midi and real tracks, and sold a few, although they were not perfect with the proper hooks etc. There is an immense amount of talent here, the business details could and most likely would get a bit sticky.

Here is a sample of a tune with no melody line, this is actulally midi tracks converted to audio, with some effects for mixdown and master.

http://www.box.net/shared/ooj6oqqrje

Just to see if this is the basic thing you had in mind.

Rob

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I have been doing this with BB for years (V9), creating back tracks for folks originals. Using SF & PSR Keyboards some of it turns out pretty good.

I am of course talking about RHYTHM section (drums, bass, guitar, keys) type of tracks, not and lead or melody instruments, tho that is a thought with the new RT & RD....

Tho the RT/RD are fantastic so far, the shots/holds/stops & some chord changes are just not quite there yet. So there is some editing to get them where I need them (I am working on a backing tracks right now for a friend)

I will watch this thread with interest for sure....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
M
Expert
Expert
M
just an idea.
some big studios make lotsa buks by creating backing traks for songwriters
original songs where the songwriter doesnt wanna set up his/her own rig//daw
and of course worry bout the technical aspects of such.
try advertising in your local area something like...
"backing traks service for songwriters" etc etc.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
many of us are working on song list of cover tunes for live playing. I have a growing set list, and i am now going back over them to add Rts and RDs where appropiate. I can't see using all RTs, as this would not allow for the hooks and such. And i am struggling with finding real good midi instruments to use at times. But it is getting better.

The one issue i see is that once you solve the licensing issues, then you have to divide the profits (if there are any) and the more cooks in the kitchen the slimmer the pot becomes.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Most professional midi backing tracks run about $8-10 a piece. I am with Mac, if you don't have the songs signature hook-line-and-sinker, you are wasting your time. Everyone knows about CDG's and Karaoke now, they are on the cheap as well. So, YOUR backing tracks would need to sound awfully close to the original artist's sound in order to be competitive. The RT's are great, but they only go so far in uniqueness to sound.

I have thought about doing an internet business for Music Backing Tracks for a long time now. The other problem is, you can get 10,000 midi files/backing tracks on E-Bay for about $5.

Maybe if you could program some of the songs for an established online site, like Midi-Hits etc...., you may be able to make a dollar or two that way?????

But, don't let us hold you back. Go for it !!! Might be able to do something about those cheezy backing tracks that ARE out there

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If you are trying to make backing tracks using ONLY real tracks, then I'd agree that it would be hard to incorporate the signature licks...

But In my experience, RB has several features that make it particularly GOOD at capturing the signature hooks:

1) it has an excellent way to extract chords and tempo map the original song so you can use it as a guide while you add other tracks to the mix

2) after you create your RB version, you can blend the original tune in and out of the mix wherever the vocals drop out... (and the signature licks almost ALWAYS fill in the spaces where the vocals drop out. ) so you end up with a song that is 25% original recording and 75% RB, blended together in perfect unison.

Whereas you MIGHT get away with that if you were using the backing track in your own low-profile gigs, you certainly wouldn't be able to rip the original recording and sell it as your own backing track.

Using this technique I have made some backing tracks for my own use that sound just like the original, but without the vocals. If making realistic backing tracks is your main goal, RB is amazingly good at it... better than ANY other software I've ever used for the same purpose. And you can do it VERY QUICKLY too... depending on the speed of your computer, in less than 30 minutes you can import an MP3, run it througth ACW to tempo map it and extract chords, add real tracks for each rhythm instrument, then crossfade the tracks at appropriate spots to get rid of the vocals, and presto... a cover song with all the original instrumentation.

The trick is to make SURE you have the chords and tempo map right BEFORE you start adding real tracks. And you need to be judicious about picking which real tracks to use... but depending how you crossfade, the real tracks will be behind your vocals so the differences won't stand out.. and when you stop singing the original song comes to the forefront.. so, it becomes quite seamless.

Try it. It is very easy! (but better not try to sell them because I don't think that would work out as well for you as it does for the lawyers...)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

there are very few or no companies producing ass kicking professional backing tracks.

This is completely wrong, you just haven't looked in the right places.
I know there's tons of unbelievably good Karaoke tracks available because I've heard them. My sister does big Karaoke competitions where they have a full blown Vegas type set up with a 2000 watt PA and crowds in the 500-1000 range. All the singers have backing tracks that are done by live studio players, little or no midi at all. I'm talking about the classic Sinatra songs with the full orchestra that sound so awesome it sounds like the producers somehow got the original masters remixed without the vocal, they're that good. One guy did whatever that famous Ricky Martin tune is that didn't just sound like a cover band, it sounded like his band and another one did that Miami Sound Machine Conga whatever tune and same thing, the orchestration was perfect. There's a sax player here in LA named Andy Suzuki who's been working with David Benoit lately who made his living doing covers for Muzak for 10 years. He was a full time staff player for them and just made a regular salary like 40 grand a year or something. These guys have all the transcriptions of all the popular tunes note for note perfect and play them perfect too. If you talking pop covers, they're readily available.
Having said this, it's possible that these great cuts may not be available as minus one's if you don't need a vocal backing track but need a minus the piano or other instrument track so you can play along. Also, these karaoke tracks may only be for top 40 stuff, other material in different styles may not be available either so there could be some opportunity there, you'd have to research that.
I agree with Mac though, the big problem is getting the true sound of the original down cold. That's not as easy as some may think. Equipment is a big deal, not just the skill of a player. If you're doing a Deep Purple tune, you need a real B3 properly set up, not a software emulator and so on for lots of tunes that had a signature guitar sound or whatever. How many good blues players can really lay down some killer SRV stuff with his sound so a person might think, wow that sounds like SRV? That's not simply good talent, that's "headline a tribute band in Vegas" talent. Don't even talk about horn sections. You can get some pretty good local horn players together and they're not going to sound like Chicago no matter what but those Karaoke tracks do. One of the competitors did 25 or 6 to 4 and again like the other tracks I mentioned, it sounded so close to Chicago you would think they took the original masters and removed the vocal. It makes no sense but I almost think they did...nah

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It depends on what the backing tracks are to be used for - for singers, professional CD+G karaoke tracks cannot be improved. I know - I have over 10,000 of them. For musicians who want -1, Melodyne is probably a far better tool as you can just remove the instrument you want removed from the original track. If you want to sing and play, then remove the instrument from the CD+G backing track.

A lot of professional singers poo-poo karaoke tracks but they are very happy to talk about 'half playbacks'. Frankly, they are one and the same. If you just paly the audio and do not show the lyrics on a screen, where is the difference?

RTs and RDs are great for working on your own original material and coming up with great demos or even adding a missing instrument part to an almost finished track.

Don't bother to re-invent the wheel, at least that's my motto

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If it's something you really want to do,then pick One song - post it here - and ask for comments.

Really,it's the only way you will know if it will work.

And then you will know whether or not to continue.

Happy New Year everyone.

Alan

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I think there is a lot that can be done and still needs to be done.

Jazzman I do know what you mean. There are good tracks out there.
But I'm not talking about karaoke or karaoke singers.

These karaoke tracks are not what most musicians are looking for. Yes I do know about companies that sell professional backing tracks. Some are good but some are not that good. I don't want to sound like Chicago. Then again I don't want to use some cheesy midi track. There is no middle ground.

I think most have missed my point. Pat you are on the right track.

How many professional singers or bands you know want to use karaoke tracks. Then you sound like a karaoke singer.

Hows many want to use midi files but they have to because there is nothing better out there.

If you walk into a music store and ask how many know of PG music or RTs what answer will you get. Maybe 1 percent. Just think if every musician, talent agency, music studio knew what they were?

Think back to the time Joni Mitchell came out with Big Yellow Taxi. Since then how many bands have covered the song. I think over 500. Just imagine how many little groups out there would like to do the song or a song like it in there own way.

I'll bet none of them know about Band in a Box or RTs. Just think of the possibilities.

There is a new trend coming.

How many great songs on the radio have you heard done in a reggae style.

Country roads, Wide World etc. Just think of how many groups would love to do a cover of one of their favorite songs in another way to suit their own taste and style.

Or even better still how many groups or musicians are looking for new material. With RTs we could set up original material in several different styles or make it available for people to order them in any style. We could even use demos provided by PG. In fact it could be a whole new segment added to the pg site.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. Why not just add it to what is already there. I was hoping the pg folks were listening but maybe not.

If this sort of thing would be added to pg it could become the biggest music site on the net. A sort of "google" so to speak for musicians.

Just thinking here. It may or may not work but we may be missing out on a great opportunity here.

Last edited by edbulmer; 12/31/09 06:11 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I agree with what you say, Ed. The thing is, how many different styles do you want - there are hundreds. For one song, the variation is enormous and it would be difficult to market unless you were to create to order.

Not trying to dissuade you but is it worth the effort?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
That's exactly what I'm talking about.
Create to order would be a big part of it.
Think about the possibilities here.
Then you could have original stuff for sale as well.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now you're talking

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I think most have missed my point. Pat you are on the right track.

Or even better still how many groups or musicians are looking for new material. With RTs we could set up original material in several different styles or make it available for people to order them in any style.

This is what I mentioned above, and has worked well. Now with all the RT/RD I now have I can see this expanding 10x in my little area!

And thank you for your explanation of the rest, I really feel that you just might be on to something going for the "various styles" angle....Good Luck!

Last edited by jcspro40; 12/31/09 10:19 AM.

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,611
Posts735,067
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185