Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
I love the blend of the flugelhorn and flute together. Otherwise, with a trumpet, I would generally use a cup or harmon mute (no stem) to play with a flute.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
I'm still not getting it. All I'm talking about is changing the name of the notes or scale as it applies to other instruments. The Bb horn plays an Eb scale (to him) but it's F concert. If you simply changed the name to F nothing else changes. The notes are the same, the fingering is the same, the horn player no longer thinks of that sequence of notes as a Eb scale, that's all. It's an F scale.
Obviously this is just an intellectual exercise, no way are all of the music colleges all over the world going to change that convention. I've had this conversation before over the years and frankly no one can give a clear explanation as to why it really has to be this way. I boils down to what Mac said, basically all the people who figured this all out hundreds of years ago got it right. That's fine but not an explanation. What does the fundamental note the instrument plays have to do with it? If that fundamental note happens to be a G concert, so what? It's still a G. It's only a name. The C trumpet was mentioned along with the fact it is built differently and has a different sound. What's the problem with playing the C pitch on a regular trumpet and simply calling that note what it is, a C?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Expert
Expert
G'day Bob,
Quote:

All I'm talking about is changing the name of the notes or scale as it applies to other instruments. The Bb horn plays an Eb scale (to him) but it's F concert. If you simply changed the name to F nothing else changes. The notes are the same, the fingering is the same, the horn player no longer thinks of that sequence of notes as a Eb scale, that's all. It's an F scale.

Actually, it isn't really the same when you take into account that many musicians that play so called "tranpsosing" instruments also double on other instruments.
Sax players: Mostly Eb and Bb and occasionally C, add clarinet in Bb and A...
Trumpet/Cornet players: A, Bb, C, D and Eb
& etc. Lots of instruments fit the category.

So. Take the Trumpet. Concert C (3rd space) on a Bb horn is 1st valve, 4th partial. On an Eb horn it's 1st and 2nd valve, 3rd partial. On an A horn it's 2nd valve, 4th partial. On a D horn its 1st valve, 3rd partial and on a C horn it would be NO valves on the 3rd partial.

Confused yet? I sure am and I play the things... When I'm not on my 'bone or Eupho.

By doing the transposition in the music, I can pick up the trumpet the music is for and the written C is no valves, 3rd partial - very consistent - lets me concentrate on playin' the dots.

All same for the sax, move from Bari to Tenor to Alto to Soprano. Eb to Bb to Eb to Bb. Transpose the music and the player just plays the dots. No worries about octave shifts or fingering changes. Oh yeah, don't forget the C melody sax - just to confuse things even further.

It may seem odd to someone who plays a concert tuned instrument but believe me, it's MUCH easier for those of us who play transposing ones.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Veteran
Veteran
Trombonists are a tricky bunch in a lot of ways. The instrument seems to 'match' the personality. We stuffy horn players might bend or lip a note, they dick about slurring and trying to hit you with the slide, or tickle your ear. If their bell is big they can't see what's going on, so they keep playing. And playing. And then some of them want treble clef with the part for Bflat. Others for C. Then some of them want bass clef, in either Bflat or C. And some are just good enought that you can give them the eb tuba part and they can transpose it on the fly. And the double bass trombones can make the back of your head shake for 5 minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I will go out after and have a stout with them, but the only issue in the baritone sections is we fight over the 1st and 2nd parts. As there are 3 of us and it's my wife and the director's wife guess who loses that argument.

When orchestras of the entire world do things one way, right or wrong it's right.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Trombonists are a tricky bunch in a lot of ways. The instrument seems to 'match' the personality...

Why thank you John. It's so nice to be understood...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
Veteran
Veteran
LOL, hey every Wednesday night I sit in front of 8 to 10 of the 20 or so who play trombone with us and I often have tears in my eyes from laughing. They do have a good time. The tuba players on the other hand are all so serious.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Expert
Expert
Quote:

... They do have a good time...

NEVER trust a man whose instrument changes shape while he's playin' it

Say, wanna know the trick for playing an Eb part on the 'bone (or baritone)? Read it as concert BASS clef and add 3 flats.

Veteran
Veteran
Hey Bob, don't feel badly if you don't get it. It is confusing. In your example, if the Bb horn plays an Eb scale, it will be sound as a Db concert scale, not F. Since the horn is pitched one full step below concert pitch, the notes it plays when reading concert pitches will be one full step below concert pitch. If you want it to sound a concert pitch, you have write a note one full step above concert pitch to compensate. To hear a concert Eb scale from a trumpet, you write an F scale.

The reason I chose to write about the fingering issue, and not the tube length and fundamentals etc., was that there are a few exceptions. The trombones for the most part read bass clef and are taught that the open fundamental is indeed C, rather than Bb, even though the horn is pitched an octave below the Bb trumpet. So it can be done the way you say. Similar thing for baritones. Some learn bass clef and pitch it in C because they started out as trombone players. Some (like me) learn treble clef and Bb, because they started out on trumpet. When I write a part for a baritone horn, I first ask them which clef they want, and that tells me how they interpret the horn. Usually.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

As there are 3 of us and it's my wife and the director's wife guess who loses that argument.

When orchestras of the entire world do things one way, right or wrong it's right.

There we go, now I get it! Thanks, guys

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
In a 'true' brass band (English style) everything is supposed to be in Treble clef. Doesn't happen much unless the music was printed there and intended for brass band.

American (Sousa type) brass bands don't follow that as a rule.

The other rule we break in our band is we take all who show up. So instead of 2 Euphoniums and 2 Baritones we may have 4 of each.

Just found out our spring concert rehearsals start Wed. Heros is the title. I hope he leaves William Tell outta that one.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Expert
Expert
The thing that amazes me is that the transposition expertise of the pros who play in symphony orchestras. I have never understood why they just don't print out the notation, for their own instruments, since we've had that technology for a long time now.

Then those same folks also play the old style horns without any valves. Although I like to watch them, I have no interest in learning how to do that. I know a pro fr. horn player who plays a horn without valves and her articulation is incredible. Of course she also has a triple, made in Germany, for around $17,000.

And then there's improv.......

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran
Natural horn. No valves. Use your lips and hand. The old ones were painted inside the bells. We used them for a couple of Handel pieces recently.

And every once in a while our 'leader/teacher' Dr. Hank picks up a regimental horn that might have a crook to change from one key to the other, but often in F and he just improvises with us and leads with the other hand. It always sounds good, but I guess being a brass professor it should eh?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Expert
Expert
John, I think that you are very lucky to have the opportunity and experience of playing in that type of band.

Cornet Curmudgeon
R
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
R
So, to beat a dead horse,

I take my Fake C sheet of say Blue Christmas in G

Enter the Chords

F9/F9-Fmaj9/C7

Transpose the Chords down 1 Tone

and get

Eb9/Eb9-Ebmaj9/Bb7

and I can play the notes as is on my sax

A/A-G-A/E-G-, but they will sound one tone lower and match the new chords in BIAB.

Please say it is so

:-)

Ron

Veteran
Veteran
Looks right to me, Ron. What a tenor sax player thinks of as "C" in tenor sax music is actually Bb in concert pitch music. So, lowering the chords (in concert pitch) by 1 tone (as above) will match concert pitch chords to the tenor sax melody.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Ron--

Don't change the key signature to do that, as it would also change the chords and notes you see and have to read on the tenor sax.

instead, use the Transpose option found inside the Notation View Options or the one found in Prefs.

This will change what you see up one step, but leave the sounds playing at the original target Key and everything is easy from there on out.

--Mac

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,575
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200