Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#53763 01/02/10 12:01 PM
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi I have had biab/rb for a week or so. I have been using BIAB and its a real gas!! I love it, esp real tracks.

I thought I would investigate RealBand today and so I loaded it. Although I can get the tracks to sound back, I find that my live MIDI input although showing in the virtual keyboard, is not sounding. This is for anything either midi or VSTI

I would like to have my piano.dll (at least) and then some organs and synths if possible, loaded as VSTs. I think I have loaded one TruePiano 32 bit dll corectly, its showing up in Real band but no sound is being initiated. The keyboard within the dll is also unresponsive.

BTW I am running 64 bit Win 7 - see below).

I have tried selecting a gm piano but also no live sound.

If I generate (rather than record) a midi track for piano I can hear the midi playback my VST piano.dll (but not live from the 'real' keyboard).

I am running MME. I have lines 1/2 of my sound card for input and output audio drivers.

My midi keyboard (an axiom 61) is selected in midi driver setup up for both in and out

All other - pre-established BB tracks are playing.

I use Cubase, so this is my mind set. It could be something really simply (duhh!) like a 'monitor' type button somewhere.

Can anyone help please?

I am more musician than engineer(!) Can be a dullard with set uup stuff

Zero

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
This issue is now resolved - thanks to PG support line (who are great - Will) . It was not easy and I am not sure what did the trick.

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Oh no it hasn't, cant seem to get my VSTs working on a new track. I have tried a couple of VSTS, an organ and a piano, and although the track will play back a midi track, it will not sound.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
How are you loading the VST's ?

Did you use the 'add VST' in the synth port dropdowns?

Gotta assign a track to a VSTi synth by clicking the little arrow beside track number,
then selecting 'Edit VSTi'
Then use dropdown to scroll to bottom of the scrolldown where it says 'add VST'
navigate to the folder containing the .dll file
once installed they will be there in the list next time

.. unless you've already got them into the list once

if they are already available you should be able to assign a track to one of the 16 softsynth ports, then select a synth for that port by right-clicking the track name area. This is how to assign various softsynths to different tracks

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have done this but no sound. Well at least sometimes no sound - unless loaded into the default slot (top of the DXi window).

I think there is something very strange going on here. TruePiano will only load as a default VSTI in the top 'track' slot, and in the first slot, which also simultaneously changes the 'track' slot. When I load it here then everything is piano but I can hear it at least.

If I try to load TruePainos elsewhere - i.e. the other 3 slots/add vst plugin, then it flashes and disappears. I got similar behaviour in BIAB.

Also, if I CREATE a new track then sometimes I can't seem to get the midi to sound at all - at present I have a second track and this is showing rock organ but I can't hear that.

So now I am starting a new project:

At present I have a new file loaded and have set track 4 to distorted guitar on Channel 1. For some reason this is changing the sound for channel 6 whic is loaded with a xylophone (I can se the pic) and this is on channel 0. If I change either sound, they both change.

If I load a new ready made song then it all seems to work. However if I try to add a new track dont seem to have any live keyboard input, though a copied midi input from some other track seems to get things sounding.
Spec below

Last edited by ZeroZero; 01/03/10 03:10 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
64 bit win7 throws a wrench in the works
Some VSTi's simply do not work with 64 bit win7

What is your default midi input and output device in the preferences- midi devices area?
That is where to start.
Also if you want to use multiple VSTi's you have to uncheck the 'reroute all midi to default DXi synth'

BTW
You can only load one VSTi per track,

The top slot should display track name, then there are four slots below that - use the the top one of the four to install the VSTi

the three other slots are for different effects - if you try to load multiple synths in those slots it will crash.

Go to another track, select the port and then another synth to add a different synth ..

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Input devices selected:
USB Axiom 61
Midiin2(USBaxiom)

and Dleta1010lT

Output
USB Axiom
Delata 1010LT

Forte plugin checked for reroute.

I have tried 2 VSTs a hammond and a piano both are 32 bit and both work elsewhere.

I think there is a bug with RB. The behaviour is erratic and nonsensical

BTW thanks for the input rharv

RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
zero.
please provide a link where true piano can be downloaded.
and i will give it a whirl here .

i can only download smaller plug ins cos i have to reserve bandwidth
for songs i do with other folks else i get extra charges from my isp.
it would be best if you did the following.
post a pic of both your audio and midi settings in preferences.
plus as rharv has a delta sound device post a pic of its settings too in its user
control panel. i dont have a delta.

if your not hearing sound look at the midi channel setting on the trak.
if the midi channel setting is set to lets say channel 5 but tp expects
midi channel 1 for piano possibly thats why you cant hear playback.
set the trak to midi channel 1.
run this rough test.
1. load up a known piano midi trak that plays under win media player.
2. instantiate n load the tp in the top slot.
n press play.
do you hear sound ??
if not look for settings in tp re midi channel compared to the traks midi channel.

i'm assuming your au fait bout the importance often of setting midi channels in
traks and devices correctly ??
for example a common set up prob is lets say one device is transmitting on
channel 3 but the receiving device is set to receive on midi channel 5 ...
no sound cos the receiving device isnt set to 3.
its sorta like a telephone line..gotta have the right number dialed in.
make a note of your axiom settings and what midi channel its set to send on.

hth.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Example
New project

Load Hammond into track one as VSTI - note the virtual keyboard within the GUI of hte VST is making sounds at this stage
close the VST window
see MIDI out>>B4II in ch O in first track

Try loading a mdi instrument by going to GM list load acoustic piano - this sounds

Check by changing the track to honky tonk - get honky tonk sound

deselect by selectecting the dash -still honytonk

Check to see if ' Specific DXI/VST for this track' is ticked (by right click on track); it is ticked.

No Hammond sound.

Something is not pasing the midi to the VSTI

Audio driver is currently ASIO (MAUDIOASIO) ENable inputMponitoring is checked

?

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi manning here is the link http://www.truepianos.com/ (great piano not sample based so easy to download the trial 40 day. I dont think its true pianos related as the saem thing is happening with B4.

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try unckecking the 'reroute all midi' box in preferences

Then load a seq file

pick the track you want piano on, and right-click it
select 'port'
In the dropdown select DXi synth 1 as the port (port 17). close window
Go to the little arrow for that same track and select 'edit DXi synth'
Make sure the top still says port is dxi synth 1 and then use the top box of the group of four to assign the piano
close window and hit play ..
if no sound - do as manning said to check midi channel - go to edit DXi again and see if the pisno is assigned to a channel other than the channel the track is playing.
You can see what channel the track is playing on by hitting 'F2' button with the track number highlited.. this opens event list showing all midi on that track.

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
TruePianos does not say what channel so I presume its omni. B4 says channel 1 so I put the track on channel 1 still nothing. I am usually OK with mid set up stuff. I have a ton of software all working well and set up by myself. Its just this PG stuff that is causing issues. I am not really an enineerring type I do it because I have to - I am more of a musician htan sound engineer, though I have say built and set up my own machine.

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Rharv you seem to be on to something with reroute all midi unchecked I got both TruePaions and B4 working - live sound.

But.... the seq file was not sounding.

When I went back and re-checked the box I got the band playing but no hammond or truepiano.

You seem to be getting at something that is effecting things but how to get both working simultaneously?

cheers

Zero

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

deselect by selectecting the dash -still honytonk

That would be correct operation.

The dash sends nothing in the way of Patch Change data.

So the MIDI synth, no matter which one chosen, being a State Machine, remains in the last state chosen that actually sent a Patch Change Message to it.

This is normal behavior, I think.

--Mac

RealBand
M
Expert
Expert
M
ZeroZero
to the right of the midi icon on the track is a track description.
what do you see detailed in the trak description ??
after loading the plug in.
true piano ?? or b4 or whatever ??
i'm sorry but true piano i cant dload.
due to my isp bandwidth limitations.
if you have another plug in thats smaller thats a problem..
just gimme a link so i can test.
prefereably under 10mb.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I do see the names of the vst in the track.,
Manning I dont have smaller vsts to link to. I don't believe it is the vst at issue here.
As I have said I think it is something to do with the directing of the midi signal in RB.

checking/unchecking the 'reroute all midi' box in preferences
has an effect. I can either get my VSTs working or the' band' but presently not both.

In case its not clear, what I am trying to do is use biab files for backing, then use my VST to play along. SO far this seems very difficult to achieve for something which is basically an accompaniment program. Its still a great ap though

Zero

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I think I have isolated the issue: !!!

Question:

Is it possible to use Forte DXI to play back MOST of the tracks (perhaps as default device) then specify a vst such as Hammond b4 or TruePianos for ONE particular track so that ALL the tracks play back at the same time and live input from the piano track is possible (e.g to record or jam)?

I think what is happening is that I can either get Forte going OR a VST with the gm coming from wavetable synth.

If I check the box 're-route input to default DXI' then ALL the MIDI for ALL tracks gets routed to Forte leaving NO data going to TruePiano or Hammond B4 or other loaded instrument. If I uncheck the box then the midi data gets routed to "Microsoft GS wavetable synth" a poorer quality sound, but then something is freed up so I can then route MIDI to a VST.

I think this is what is happening???

I hope this clarifies things and I am on the right track (no pun intended!)

Note: I come from CUbase so I expected (rightly or wrongly) to just load in VSTs as many as I want - thinking the VST?DXI set up was like the instrument rack in Cubase.

It seems ot be so sensible that a user can use a quality VST such as a good piano or synth and still have BIAB and/or RB handle the backing track using Forte. Sensible... obvious, required even...but does it do it?

Tech have said it may be a week before I get an answer.

Zero

RealBand
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The setup in Prefs -> MIDI is for the Default Device. Sounds like you want to set that to the VSC DXi.

Then, in Tracks View, for the one selected track where you want to play your VSTi, RightClick on the area under the Track Name and choose the MIDI ports from the popup, follow it to find the DXi or VSTi that you want to invoke and it will be just on that track. Any tracks that you don't designate in this separated fashion will use the default MIDI synth selected in Prefs.

You don't want to route MIDI Thru to the DXi in this instance, you want it to go to your VSTi.

--Mac

RealBand
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

You don't want to route MIDI Thru to the DXi in this instance, you want it to go to your VSTi.

--Mac

Yes exactly Mac, but how?

I followed these instructions, its what I had done before.

I think this is nearing the solution, but how do you redirect MIDI thru for one track only?

I think it should be a facility like this - all MIDI routing to Forte DXI for everything UNLESS specified redirect (to a custom VST) for a specific track.

At present I get all or nothing

If I disable MIDI thru in preferences then my 'real' keyboard does not communicate notes into RB (no blue dots in virtual keyboard) .

I therefore have it enabled and set to 'track specific' but have tried 'global' as well, no luck.

Is there a setting specific to a particular track somewhere?

Thanks for the input

Zero

Last edited by ZeroZero; 01/03/10 02:06 PM.

RealBand
R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Go to pref and find the midi tab, then on that page you will see a midi devices button. In the middle of the page you will find a check box to re-route the MIDI playback to a default synth, check that box and choose a synth from the drop down box below it.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,671
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200