Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#54116 - 01/04/10 12:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Not new to biab but new to vst plugins
Master Joeda Offline

Hi everyone,

I've been using biab for a long time now with my students and absolutely love it.

I used to use the Roland VSC plug-in with my old laptop that died (vista), it sounded OK but I always wanted better sound.

Anyhoo...

My new laptop has Windows 7 64bit on it and VSC is no longer supported. (read that here in the forum)

I own Native Instruments Komplete 6 with the Kontakt 4 player/vst plugin.
The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get biab to use the vst plug in.

It loads up fine in biab, but when I click play it still uses the built in sound cards crappy midi sound.

Also, in Kontakt 4 when I load a patch and click on the piano keyboard at the bottom I hear/see nothing.
This is weird cause when I load up the stand alone player and do the same thing I hear the instrument just fine.

I'm really frustrated! please guide me!

I want to be able to play backing tracks with good sound quality again!

#54117 - 01/04/10 01:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Master Joeda Offline

Oh forgot to mention this... I'm using biab 2008

#54118 - 01/04/10 01:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Under Opt. >> Midi/Audio Driver Setup, if the plug-in is supported by BIAB, you'll need to go to "VST/DXi Synth Settings" and locate the plug-in in the drop-down menu. Do this in the top slot and make sure that "Edit" is selected. Close that window. You should now be back in the Midi/Audio Driver Setup window. Put a check mark beside "Use VST/DXi Synth. Under GM2 support (in the same window) select General Midi 2.

#54119 - 01/04/10 01:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Noel96]
Master Joeda Offline

I tried to follow your directions but got lost, when I try to check the box that says "DXi" it gives me a message saying that there are no dxi's installed.
Also, the button that says "DXi synth settings" is greyed out and not clickable.

Edited by Master Joeda (01/04/10 01:52 AM)

#54120 - 01/04/10 06:09 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Try clicking on the "DXi" icon on the tool bar. It's on the same line as Melodist and Soloist. See what happens. Here is a faq page put together by PGMusic. I'm not sure if there is anything there, but it might be worth the look.

http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq17.htm

#54121 - 01/04/10 06:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

...Windows 7 64bit on it and VSC is no longer supported. (read that here in the forum)

I own Native Instruments Komplete 6 with the Kontakt 4 player/vst plugin.
The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get biab to use the vst plug in.

It loads up fine in biab, but when I click play it still uses the built in sound cards crappy midi sound.

What do you mean by "loads up fine"?

I did a search for Kontakt 4 and it seems that it might not be compatible. Have a look at Edward Buckley's third post in the following thread (you need to scroll about 1/3 of the way down). Ed mentions that it's "not GM compatible" which would explain why the VST/DXi setting option is grayed out. (The VST synth needs to be GM compatible.)

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=249846

I know nothing about Kontakt so I cannot answer specific questions. I'm sure that someone who does know the product will read this post and answer your questions.

Good luck,
Noel

Edited by Noel96 (01/04/10 07:56 AM)

#54122 - 01/04/10 09:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Noel96]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Quote:

Ed mentions that it's "not GM compatible" which would explain why the VST/DXi setting option is grayed out. (The VST synth needs to be GM compatible.)

Good luck,
Noel

Hi Noel, A VSTi does not need to be GM compatible to work in BiaB. Any compatible VSTi will work. You need a GM VSTI if you want to hear all of the instruments correctly, ie drums, piano, guitar etc. If I would load an organ only VSTi all I would hear is organ on all channels.

I have found that Kontakt 3.5 is not compatible with BiaB. I doubt Kontakt 4 would work either.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#54123 - 01/04/10 10:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
rkl122 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NJ
Quote:

I tried to follow your directions but got lost, when I try to check the box that says "DXi" it gives me a message saying that there are no dxi's installed.
Also, the button that says "DXi synth settings" is greyed out and not clickable.

Try this: in that DXi interface - accessible from the tool bar if grayed out via the Prefs=>Midi Driver route - in the dialog with the "synth track" and "audio track" tabs, click options, then "scan for New DXi plugins." Then see if any has appeared in the dropdown. If not, you may need to try some of the other buttons on the Options popup. The first thing I'd do is check the exclusion list.

Note: If you have plugins registered on your system and in use with other programs, there is the possibility that registering them here may raise an issue for the other programs. I'm not sure about that, but might be best to check that nothing's changed in the other programs if you do any registration here. (I use Cakewalk's TTS-1 in both Sonar and BB, no problem.)

HTH, RonL

Edit - Whoops, I see Noel gave similar advice. Sorry to repeat; maybe the details will help.

#54124 - 01/04/10 10:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: rkl122]
ZeroZero Offline
Expert

Loc: Bynar
If you own Komplete I thought you would own Kontakt rather than the Kontakt player, both are samplers rather than GM synths. A GM synth, e.g. Roland VSC, fortedxi, is simply an applkicarion that substitutes a list of improved (viz compared to MIDI) sounds which are equivilent to the MIDI sounds. For example sound 1 would be a better piano sound - possibly a sampled piano, sound 15 a better tubular bells. The full list is 128 sounds. A GM synth simply gives you improved sounds. GM is a convention that says if I ask for sound 1 then I get a grand piano, if I ask for list item 15 then I want a tubular bell. It does not say the quality of the sound. A GM synth provided a better quality sound than MIDI synthetic sounds - frequently the sound is an acutal set of samples, but not always. A GM synth's sound set is better than synthesised sounds (like the dreadful trumpets) but it is a longt way from the best sounds. Getting a 'real' acoustic sounding sound together has many different aspects - some of which are very difficult to achieve for certain instruments - vibrato for example , can come in zillions of forms as can tonguing. A top VST for a piano will contain gigabytes of carefully layered samples for each note, meticulously recorded for each dynamic and volume, then there is the matter of reverb and ambience... your humble GM synth cant do all this - yet it is better aurally than basic synthesised sound of the WIndows type.

I use fortedxi with my 64 bit system and it works. I also have Kontakt but would not use it for this purpose. Kotakt is very powerful - overkill really for such a task. I am not sure if its possible to use it in this way. My Kontakt is 64 bit I dont know if it runs in 32 bit BAIB. If you have RealBand then this might be more suitable.

I am new here so take my answers with a little caution, but purchasing ForteDXI is inexpensive, an easy option and is working here. RealBand is more suitable for adding guest VSTs such as the Komplete stuff. If you go that way you might want to read my post on real band set up
http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=0#Post255466

The best backing tracks of all are the real tracks - unquestionably. A good GM synth is better than straight MIDI, but not quite as authentic as the real thing used in real tracks.

Zero

Edited by ZeroZero (01/04/10 11:12 AM)

#54125 - 01/05/10 07:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: ZeroZero]
Asian Sun Offline
Enthusiast

I tend to agree with the observation that you need a GM synth that one the gives a full set of instruments. I think Native Instruments Bandstand is one such thing, although BIAB has some "delay" problems with NI BS. But if BIAB 2010 addressed the delay issues, the NI BS samples are really great.

The Sonar's Cakewalk TTS-1 which i think is a Roland VST plug in is also a good one, and works on BIAB better than NI BS, and sounds better than the Roland included in BIAB.

The samples in Kontakt and in NI's Maschine are great, and I hope you guys can find a way to make it work in BIAB.

On another note, the Real Guitar and Real Strat VS Plugins are good for the Guitar channels.

#54126 - 01/05/10 08:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: rkl122]
Master Joeda Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Try this: in that DXi interface - accessible from the tool bar if grayed out via the Prefs=>Midi Driver route - in the dialog with the "synth track" and "audio track" tabs, click options, then "scan for New DXi plugins." Then see if any has appeared in the dropdown. If not, you may need to try some of the other buttons on the Options popup. The first thing I'd do is check the exclusion list.

Note: If you have plugins registered on your system and in use with other programs, there is the possibility that registering them here may raise an issue for the other programs. I'm not sure about that, but might be best to check that nothing's changed in the other programs if you do any registration here. (I use Cakewalk's TTS-1 in both Sonar and BB, no problem.)

HTH, RonL

Edit - Whoops, I see Noel gave similar advice. Sorry to repeat; maybe the details will help.

I tried this too with no luck.

By the way I noticed that some people are not 100% sure if Kontakt 4 works with biab.

How does this guy do it? YouTube Video - Biab with Kontakt 4

I can get the interface to load up, but when I load a patch the progress bar shows on the screen that it is loading, but then I get no sound from the kontakt 4 plug-in... Just the regular crappy midi on-board sound.

#54127 - 01/05/10 08:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Edward Buckley Offline
Expert

Loc: Guadalajara, Mexico
Hi Guys,

What I meant to say in my post is that Kontakt is not GM compatible in the sense that it will not load patches for you automatically using GM program change commands. You would need to load each patch into every BIAB song, which is very time consuming, but the musical results could be fantastic.

Here is what I got from the Native Instruments site>

In general, users involved in professional audio production or live performance should be cautious about upgrading to Windows 7 until compatibility with third-party audio software and hardware has been widely confirmed by the relevant manufacturers.

Native Instruments will continue to monitor the operation of its products under Windows 7, and will update this page with eventual new information as it becomes available.

I do really recommend the Cakewalk Music Creator program, because it lets you use the TTS-1, which is a decent sounding GM softsynth, for BIAB. For $35, its a good deal.

Ed

Edited by Edward Buckley (01/05/10 08:45 PM)

#54128 - 01/05/10 09:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

The guy on YouTube might be using a 32-bit operating system. When you load Kontakt as a plug-in, which slot is it in? I understand that softsyths need to be in the top slot.

#54129 - 01/05/10 10:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Noel96]
Master Joeda Offline

Quote:

The guy on YouTube might be using a 32-bit operating system. When you load Kontakt as a plug-in, which slot is it in? I understand that softsyths need to be in the top slot.

It is on top.

#54130 - 01/05/10 11:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

As mentioned before, I know nothing about Kontakt. Have you loaded in any VST/DXi synths in BIAB? If not, it might be worthwhile trying one that loads easily just so you can "get a feel for the process" of how using VSTi works. Coyote's Forte can be downloaded and tried for 30 days without commitment. It's a full functioning version.

Have you tried Kontakt in Realband to see if there is any difference in loading?

I'd like to be more help but the above is the best I can do with my present understanding

JUST IN CASE IT IS ON INTEREST...
A process that I sometimes use when I want to use soundfonts is to use BIAB to arrange a song. I use entirely midi styles and save them as a midi file. I then import that midi file into Sonar Home Studio. This is the environment that I understand best with plugins. I'd then take the midi file and use various plugins to get it the best possible. When Realtracks and Realdrums came along, I then used to open the midi in Realband, add some Real-instruments and then transfer those wav files to Sonar.

Edited by Noel96 (01/05/10 11:18 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Video - 202 NEW RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac we also released 202 NEW RealTracks (in Sets 278-300)!

Listen to all the individual demos here: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.202newrealtracks.htm, or watch our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 202 New RealTracks Overview Video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=7ZrfGSqjaOU

Get all 202 new RealTracks when you purchase any Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - on sale until May 31st!

Holiday Hours - Monday, May 21st

We're celebrating Victoria Day on Monday, May 21st. Our hours for the long weekend will be:

Customer Service:
Saturday, May 19: 7:00am - 5:00pm PST
Sunday, May 20: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST
Monday, May 21: 8:00am - 4:00pm PST

Technical Support:
Closed (will re-open Tues, May 22 at 10am PST)

Video - The Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac boasts over 50 new features and enhancements... including the Build-in Audio Chord Wizard!

The Audio Chord Wizard has been redesigned and is now built into Band-in-a-Box®. Previously, the Audio Chord Wizard was a separate app and not tightly integrated into Band-in-a-Box®. This app is still available from the [Audio Chord Wizard] toolbar button, but the improved built-in Audio Chord Wizard can be accessed from the Audio Edit window.

Watch our latest video to learn more: Video link - Audio Chord Wizard in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Everything You Need to Know in Under 5 Minutes!

Want to quickly see the new features included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac in action?

Check out this video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® ! Everything you need to know in under 5 minutes*: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=XSSQpijRyxk

*The video includes an extra 2 minutes for the 49-PAK! The first 5 minutes show you all of the great new features and content available with Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, and it's followed by additional video showing off the 2018 49-PAK for Mac.

Xtra Styles PAKs are ON SALE until May 31st!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 was initially released with our Windows version of Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows, and with the release of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we're having a sale!

Xtra Styles PAK 4 has over 150 RealStyles for Rock-Pop, Jazz, Country, and 'Folk and Beyond' styles, which work with the RealTracks included in any Band-in-a-Box® version 2017 or higher UltraPAK/UltraPlusPAK, EverythingPAK, or Audiophile Edition!

We've put all of our Xtra Styles PAKs on SALE until May 31st! Purchase any Xtra Styles PAK (1 - 4) for just $29 each! (reg. $49) http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=mac

Listen to all the demos of these new Xtra Styles here, or check out this video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=Zl_wr47d2V0

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - 45 Requests Fulfilled!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is here, and there's more than 80 new features! We've answered some user requests with this release, including:

Q. I am learning guitar. The RealTracks are very helpful in that I can hear great guitar players, and most of the tracks have tab and notation as well. But there is much more to guitar, could you include some videos of some of the RealTracks Artists? Because I would learn much more from seeing a guitarist than just hearing them.

A. We have a major new feature called "Video RealTracks." These work and sound like RealTracks, but you get to see a video of the Guitarist (or whatever instrument) playing as well. The amazing thing is that this works with any chord progression you type in. So, if you want to learn to play like the great guitarist Brent Mason, for example, you can type in chords to any progression you are interested in, and then hear and see a video of Brent soloing over your progression. Now you can learn much quicker, as it helps to see how a musician is performing, as well as to hear.

Q. I use the feature to make a video of the chord sheet from a Band-in-a-Box song. I use it to make backing tracks and upload them to YouTube. But these don't include any notation for the melody and lyrics of my songs. My viewers would like to see the melody and lyrics too. Is there a way you can include the melody in the video? I've tried recording this with screen capture programs, but it's time consuming, recording in real time, and the audio quality and sync are not that good.

A. Yes, Band-in-a-Box 2018 can do this now. You can save your song as a video of the notation track. So that includes the notation, guitar tab, and lyrics. And saving the whole video and audio just takes a few seconds, much faster than real time recording. Just load in your song with chords, melody, lyrics, and/or guitar tab, and press Save-As Notation Video. Your song will be up on YouTube in no time!

Q. I am songwriter and uses Band-in-a-Box to make backing tracks for my productions. I'm starting to make videos and upload them to YouTube. Can Band-in-a-Box help with my production videos?

A. Band-in-a-Box 2018 can now make videos with Video RealTracks, of the musicians performing the RealTracks. And they are playing along to your song's chord progression. You can include these videos in your own song performance, which adds a nice visual element.

Q. I use the Audio Harmonies in Band-in-a-Box. But I find the harmonies simplistic, in that they are mainly using chord tones. The Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmonies are more sophisticated, using passing tones. Why can't my Audio Harmonies work like that?

A. We've added support for new types of Audio Harmonies in the Audio Edit Window. These do allow you to choose any Band-in-a-Box MIDI harmony that has passing tones or sophisticated jazz voicings (adding 4 parts to make a 5-part jazz voicing for example). Band-in-a-Box automatically figures out the MIDI version of your melody so it uses this to create the harmonies.

Q. The new toolbar is nice, but needs more color options. Too much grey! How about skins?

A. We've added support for skins, and you can choose color or grey scale options for toolbar, mixer etc.

And more!!!

All of the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac can be reviewed at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac is Here - Up to 40% off Upgrades!

Just released: Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac with over 50 new features, 202 New RealTracks, 40 NEW Video RealTracks, 32 new MIDI SuperTracks, 108 new Instrumental Studies, 8 new Artist Performances, 52 new loops, and 40 AmpliTube presets with 37 associated styles!

We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade purchases until May 31, 2018 - save up to 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac Upgrade!

This year we are celebrating 30 YEARS of Band-in-a-Box®! We've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.bonuspaks_2018.htm

If you check out http://www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.packages.htm, you'll see the new 2018 package options available. To summarize:

Band-in-a-Box® Pro $129
Upgrade from Version 2017: $59 (reg: $69)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $69 (reg: $79)
Special 2018 Program Update from 2017: $49 **Requires Version 2017. Includes version 2018 program updates only. (No other Add-ons or Bonus PAK)

Band-in-a-Box® MegaPAK $269
Upgrade from Version 2017: $89 (reg: $149)
Upgrade from Version 2016: $99 (reg: $159)

Band-in-a-Box® PlusPAK
Upgrade from Version 2017: $99 (reg: $129)
(The PlusPAK is designed to upgrade 2017 UltraPlusPAK & EverythingPAK users who are downloading their upgrade or do not want to purchase a new hard drive)

NEW! Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK Formerly the UltraPlusPAK $469
Upgrade from Version 2017: $149 (reg: $279)
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $169 (reg: $299)

Band-in-a-Box® Audiophile Edition $669
Upgrade from Version 2017 Audiophile: $199 - limited time offer!
Upgrade from 2017: $479
Upgrade from Version 2016 or earlier or crossgrade: $499
Upgrade from any previous Audiophile: $299

Learn more about all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac: www.pgmusic.com/bbmac.new.htm

Forum Stats
27501 Members
50 Forums
51763 Topics
427649 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
BigPoppa425, Carlo74, DSArts, giambamt, stev3nelz

27500 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 421
zedd 190