Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#54116 - 01/04/10 12:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Not new to biab but new to vst plugins
Master Joeda Offline

Hi everyone,

I've been using biab for a long time now with my students and absolutely love it.

I used to use the Roland VSC plug-in with my old laptop that died (vista), it sounded OK but I always wanted better sound.

Anyhoo...

My new laptop has Windows 7 64bit on it and VSC is no longer supported. (read that here in the forum)

I own Native Instruments Komplete 6 with the Kontakt 4 player/vst plugin.
The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get biab to use the vst plug in.

It loads up fine in biab, but when I click play it still uses the built in sound cards crappy midi sound.

Also, in Kontakt 4 when I load a patch and click on the piano keyboard at the bottom I hear/see nothing.
This is weird cause when I load up the stand alone player and do the same thing I hear the instrument just fine.

I'm really frustrated! please guide me!

I want to be able to play backing tracks with good sound quality again!

#54117 - 01/04/10 01:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Master Joeda Offline

Oh forgot to mention this... I'm using biab 2008

#54118 - 01/04/10 01:14 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Under Opt. >> Midi/Audio Driver Setup, if the plug-in is supported by BIAB, you'll need to go to "VST/DXi Synth Settings" and locate the plug-in in the drop-down menu. Do this in the top slot and make sure that "Edit" is selected. Close that window. You should now be back in the Midi/Audio Driver Setup window. Put a check mark beside "Use VST/DXi Synth. Under GM2 support (in the same window) select General Midi 2.

#54119 - 01/04/10 01:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Noel96]
Master Joeda Offline

I tried to follow your directions but got lost, when I try to check the box that says "DXi" it gives me a message saying that there are no dxi's installed.
Also, the button that says "DXi synth settings" is greyed out and not clickable.

Edited by Master Joeda (01/04/10 01:52 AM)

#54120 - 01/04/10 06:09 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Try clicking on the "DXi" icon on the tool bar. It's on the same line as Melodist and Soloist. See what happens. Here is a faq page put together by PGMusic. I'm not sure if there is anything there, but it might be worth the look.

http://www.pgmusic.com/techfaq17.htm

#54121 - 01/04/10 06:59 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Quote:

...Windows 7 64bit on it and VSC is no longer supported. (read that here in the forum)

I own Native Instruments Komplete 6 with the Kontakt 4 player/vst plugin.
The only problem is that I can't figure out how to get biab to use the vst plug in.

It loads up fine in biab, but when I click play it still uses the built in sound cards crappy midi sound.

What do you mean by "loads up fine"?

I did a search for Kontakt 4 and it seems that it might not be compatible. Have a look at Edward Buckley's third post in the following thread (you need to scroll about 1/3 of the way down). Ed mentions that it's "not GM compatible" which would explain why the VST/DXi setting option is grayed out. (The VST synth needs to be GM compatible.)

http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=249846

I know nothing about Kontakt so I cannot answer specific questions. I'm sure that someone who does know the product will read this post and answer your questions.

Good luck,
Noel

Edited by Noel96 (01/04/10 07:56 AM)

#54122 - 01/04/10 09:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Noel96]
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Quote:

Ed mentions that it's "not GM compatible" which would explain why the VST/DXi setting option is grayed out. (The VST synth needs to be GM compatible.)

Good luck,
Noel

Hi Noel, A VSTi does not need to be GM compatible to work in BiaB. Any compatible VSTi will work. You need a GM VSTI if you want to hear all of the instruments correctly, ie drums, piano, guitar etc. If I would load an organ only VSTi all I would hear is organ on all channels.

I have found that Kontakt 3.5 is not compatible with BiaB. I doubt Kontakt 4 would work either.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#54123 - 01/04/10 10:35 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
rkl122 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NJ
Quote:

I tried to follow your directions but got lost, when I try to check the box that says "DXi" it gives me a message saying that there are no dxi's installed.
Also, the button that says "DXi synth settings" is greyed out and not clickable.

Try this: in that DXi interface - accessible from the tool bar if grayed out via the Prefs=>Midi Driver route - in the dialog with the "synth track" and "audio track" tabs, click options, then "scan for New DXi plugins." Then see if any has appeared in the dropdown. If not, you may need to try some of the other buttons on the Options popup. The first thing I'd do is check the exclusion list.

Note: If you have plugins registered on your system and in use with other programs, there is the possibility that registering them here may raise an issue for the other programs. I'm not sure about that, but might be best to check that nothing's changed in the other programs if you do any registration here. (I use Cakewalk's TTS-1 in both Sonar and BB, no problem.)

HTH, RonL

Edit - Whoops, I see Noel gave similar advice. Sorry to repeat; maybe the details will help.

#54124 - 01/04/10 10:49 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: rkl122]
ZeroZero Offline
Expert

Loc: Bynar
If you own Komplete I thought you would own Kontakt rather than the Kontakt player, both are samplers rather than GM synths. A GM synth, e.g. Roland VSC, fortedxi, is simply an applkicarion that substitutes a list of improved (viz compared to MIDI) sounds which are equivilent to the MIDI sounds. For example sound 1 would be a better piano sound - possibly a sampled piano, sound 15 a better tubular bells. The full list is 128 sounds. A GM synth simply gives you improved sounds. GM is a convention that says if I ask for sound 1 then I get a grand piano, if I ask for list item 15 then I want a tubular bell. It does not say the quality of the sound. A GM synth provided a better quality sound than MIDI synthetic sounds - frequently the sound is an acutal set of samples, but not always. A GM synth's sound set is better than synthesised sounds (like the dreadful trumpets) but it is a longt way from the best sounds. Getting a 'real' acoustic sounding sound together has many different aspects - some of which are very difficult to achieve for certain instruments - vibrato for example , can come in zillions of forms as can tonguing. A top VST for a piano will contain gigabytes of carefully layered samples for each note, meticulously recorded for each dynamic and volume, then there is the matter of reverb and ambience... your humble GM synth cant do all this - yet it is better aurally than basic synthesised sound of the WIndows type.

I use fortedxi with my 64 bit system and it works. I also have Kontakt but would not use it for this purpose. Kotakt is very powerful - overkill really for such a task. I am not sure if its possible to use it in this way. My Kontakt is 64 bit I dont know if it runs in 32 bit BAIB. If you have RealBand then this might be more suitable.

I am new here so take my answers with a little caution, but purchasing ForteDXI is inexpensive, an easy option and is working here. RealBand is more suitable for adding guest VSTs such as the Komplete stuff. If you go that way you might want to read my post on real band set up
http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...ge=0#Post255466

The best backing tracks of all are the real tracks - unquestionably. A good GM synth is better than straight MIDI, but not quite as authentic as the real thing used in real tracks.

Zero

Edited by ZeroZero (01/04/10 11:12 AM)

#54125 - 01/05/10 07:45 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: ZeroZero]
Asian Sun Offline
Enthusiast

I tend to agree with the observation that you need a GM synth that one the gives a full set of instruments. I think Native Instruments Bandstand is one such thing, although BIAB has some "delay" problems with NI BS. But if BIAB 2010 addressed the delay issues, the NI BS samples are really great.

The Sonar's Cakewalk TTS-1 which i think is a Roland VST plug in is also a good one, and works on BIAB better than NI BS, and sounds better than the Roland included in BIAB.

The samples in Kontakt and in NI's Maschine are great, and I hope you guys can find a way to make it work in BIAB.

On another note, the Real Guitar and Real Strat VS Plugins are good for the Guitar channels.

#54126 - 01/05/10 08:24 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: rkl122]
Master Joeda Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Try this: in that DXi interface - accessible from the tool bar if grayed out via the Prefs=>Midi Driver route - in the dialog with the "synth track" and "audio track" tabs, click options, then "scan for New DXi plugins." Then see if any has appeared in the dropdown. If not, you may need to try some of the other buttons on the Options popup. The first thing I'd do is check the exclusion list.

Note: If you have plugins registered on your system and in use with other programs, there is the possibility that registering them here may raise an issue for the other programs. I'm not sure about that, but might be best to check that nothing's changed in the other programs if you do any registration here. (I use Cakewalk's TTS-1 in both Sonar and BB, no problem.)

HTH, RonL

Edit - Whoops, I see Noel gave similar advice. Sorry to repeat; maybe the details will help.

I tried this too with no luck.

By the way I noticed that some people are not 100% sure if Kontakt 4 works with biab.

How does this guy do it? YouTube Video - Biab with Kontakt 4

I can get the interface to load up, but when I load a patch the progress bar shows on the screen that it is loading, but then I get no sound from the kontakt 4 plug-in... Just the regular crappy midi on-board sound.

#54127 - 01/05/10 08:39 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Edward Buckley Offline
Expert

Loc: Guadalajara, Mexico
Hi Guys,

What I meant to say in my post is that Kontakt is not GM compatible in the sense that it will not load patches for you automatically using GM program change commands. You would need to load each patch into every BIAB song, which is very time consuming, but the musical results could be fantastic.

Here is what I got from the Native Instruments site>

In general, users involved in professional audio production or live performance should be cautious about upgrading to Windows 7 until compatibility with third-party audio software and hardware has been widely confirmed by the relevant manufacturers.

Native Instruments will continue to monitor the operation of its products under Windows 7, and will update this page with eventual new information as it becomes available.

I do really recommend the Cakewalk Music Creator program, because it lets you use the TTS-1, which is a decent sounding GM softsynth, for BIAB. For $35, its a good deal.

Ed

Edited by Edward Buckley (01/05/10 08:45 PM)

#54128 - 01/05/10 09:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

The guy on YouTube might be using a 32-bit operating system. When you load Kontakt as a plug-in, which slot is it in? I understand that softsyths need to be in the top slot.

#54129 - 01/05/10 10:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Noel96]
Master Joeda Offline

Quote:

The guy on YouTube might be using a 32-bit operating system. When you load Kontakt as a plug-in, which slot is it in? I understand that softsyths need to be in the top slot.

It is on top.

#54130 - 01/05/10 11:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Not new to biab but new to vst plugins [Re: Master Joeda]
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

As mentioned before, I know nothing about Kontakt. Have you loaded in any VST/DXi synths in BIAB? If not, it might be worthwhile trying one that loads easily just so you can "get a feel for the process" of how using VSTi works. Coyote's Forte can be downloaded and tried for 30 days without commitment. It's a full functioning version.

Have you tried Kontakt in Realband to see if there is any difference in loading?

I'd like to be more help but the above is the best I can do with my present understanding

JUST IN CASE IT IS ON INTEREST...
A process that I sometimes use when I want to use soundfonts is to use BIAB to arrange a song. I use entirely midi styles and save them as a midi file. I then import that midi file into Sonar Home Studio. This is the environment that I understand best with plugins. I'd then take the midi file and use various plugins to get it the best possible. When Realtracks and Realdrums came along, I then used to open the midi in Realband, add some Real-instruments and then transfer those wav files to Sonar.

Edited by Noel96 (01/05/10 11:18 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27147 Members
49 Forums
50348 Topics
413325 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
okelly, Hakans Evergreen, serg_s_baklanov, Hisham Hammad, maryyy

27146 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 260
Noel96 223