#54990 01/08/10 08:59 PM
Off-Topic
S
SaxMarc Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
Have any of you heard this girl? She's 15. Amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhqf7qJAQ4

SaxMarc
daringharmony.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
She's got a voice, but some of moves are a bit pretentious for a 15 year old.

She has talent, at least in my opinion. If she keeps this up, in three or four years, she may just be a super talent

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
She certainly is gifted; it's hard to believe that she is only 15 years old. I shall keep an eye out for her in future.

Richard (Stan's Fan)
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I guess I am in Gary's camp, while she has a very nice jazz voice and it's apparent she has studied the female masters stylings I'd rather just listen than actually watch her perform. Big talent know doubt.

Later,

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Maybe she would prefer to be known as a "professional" rather than as a "kid"?
Just a thought....

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry guys, but I don't see the amazing part.

She's good. She's a better singer than I am, (and that's not a compliment!).

I doubt that she'll ever make an impact on the jazz scene.

Just my opinion.

Bob

P.S. And the confused part is wondering why she was ever posted. It was a waste of 2min. and 22 seconds.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To me, she's about average. I've heard some good young talent before, but she's far away from being amazing. I play Independent Artists on my Internet Radio shows and I can tell you that there is more "amazement" there, as far as young jazz singers are concerned.

Not to dodge her, but, as I said, she's average. Good, but not amazing.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Daggone, guys, she's a kid!

That's a pretty good performance from a kid.

The promise shows in her scatting abilities.

That is, indeed, rare these days.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I would rather perform with this singer than with most that I've worked with.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

I am hearing some serious skills here in her choice of notes and in her timing. Excellent interaction with the band. She leads when appropriate and sits back when appropriate. They seem to be feeding cues to each other, especially during the scats. She is not leaning on them to make her sound good. All excellent players, who understand and respect each others' place in the overall ensemble.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
She`s good. Definately. Not a superstar, but a "rough diamont".
She`s on a good way with the scatting. She hears and sings the resolutions, but doesn`t yet alter scales.
I liked her performance, she behaves like a jazz-singer pro, very solid.

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
She's Canadian. Dr. Viki Meredith was an adjudicator at a competition she sang in when she was 7 or 8. Viki sits beside me in my Brass Band playing Baritone, with my wife on the other side. Viki is the dean of something and an award winning choral director and on the full time faculty at the local university, where her husband Dr. Henry Meredith teaches 'horns' and music appreciation, and leads the brass band. She thought she was amazing when she was younger. I think most Canadians that listen to jazz have heard her quite a bit. From ye olde wiki:

Nikki Yanofsky (born February 8, 1994), is a young jazz-pop singer from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She has performed at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, at various events alongside well-known artists such as Oliver Jones, Wyclef Jean, Celine Dion, James Birch and performing the national anthems for the Montreal Canadiens three times and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Nikki has recorded Airmail Special for Verve Records, released on June 5, 2007 on the album We All Love Ella: Celebrating the First Lady of Song. The track was recorded at Bill Schnee Studios by Al Schmitt and was produced by Tommy LiPuma. It was mixed at the famous Capital Studios.

Nikki recorded Gotta Go My Own Way in English and in French for Walt Disney's High School Musical 2. Nikki collaborated with Grammy Award winning musicians Herbie Hancock and Will.i.am (from The Black Eyed Peas) to record a crossover version of the swing era hit Stompin' at the Savoy. It is used on Kareem Abdul Jabbar's audio book On the Shoulders of Giants.

Nikki and her production company A440 Entertainment, Inc., have recently come to a distribution agreement with Universal Canada and her first offering to the public, a live CD/DVD concert package entitled Ella... Of Thee I Swing, has already begun to be sold off stage at her concerts. The official launch of this product was on September 23rd, 2008, supported by several concerts.

Nikki is the youngest performer to headline her own show in the 29 year history of the Montreal International Jazz Festival. It was the summer of 2006 and she was only 12 years old. Since then, she has performed to sold-out crowds at each of the subsequent Montreal festivals. She also performed at the 2009 Montreal Jazz festival edition. She has also performed at Montreal's Bell Centre, The Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival in Montego Bay, with Marvin Hamlisch at Carnegie Hall in New York City and the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. and with The Count Basie Orchestra at the 2008 Luminato Festival in Toronto.

If I had her money I'd move somewhere warmer ...LOL..

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
S
SaxMarc Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
S
John:
Thanks for posting that information. In some of the other videos I saw of her, she shows off more of her talent. She's the first singer of that age that I have seen that is able to repeat some of Ella's work note for note (such as How High The Moon), and also scat perfectly in tune. Maybe I just haven't seen the young singers, but to me that is pretty impressive for a 14-15 year old.

SaxMarc
daringharmony.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Some of the posts reminded me of a newspaper forum where people were ripping up a local golfer for being 'un-talented', won one tournament, finishes in the top 200 most of the time, etc.

I couldn't help point out that he's made over 20 million, gets free travel meals, accommodation, massages, golf gear, and has earned around 20 million over the last 5 years and won the Masters. Only one guy was always better and look at him. I expect Mike, who went to BYU, might not fall into the women problems.

So you play Carnegie Hall and I guess you haven't made it yet.

I played the plumber's union hall...despite not being in the union. The kept asking for 'country'. I thought that mean Gord Lightfoot.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

John:
Thanks for posting that information. In some of the other videos I saw of her, she shows off more of her talent. She's the first singer of that age that I have seen that is able to repeat some of Ella's work note for note (such as How High The Moon), and also scat perfectly in tune. Maybe I just haven't seen the young singers, but to me that is pretty impressive for a 14-15 year old.

That kind of transcribing is the foundation of the art, man.

Where did Ella find her scat?

She transcribed some of the great horn men of the day.

And this young lady transcribed Ella.

Refreshing, after all the others, who seem to be everywhere, who think they can take a shortcut to standing on Ella's shoulders and never seem to realize why they fall flat with it.

Which is why I think this young lady will be able to develop her own compendium to work from if she sticks with it.

And is going to be a shining star one day for it...

--Mac

Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey, I know this thread went on during January. I heard it for the first time. The only comment I would like to make is: I am glad, overwhelmed, impressed and ecstatic she has the flame of Jazz goin' on. With all the other crap out there finally, someone is singing again. As Mac has stated "This is a great job for a kid."

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
She has a new album out. Ron Sexsmith worked on it. I like the jazz stuff and the piece for the Olympics is ok. The downfall to me is to mix genres, but she's new and coming out, and hopefully for her she's as pretty at 18 as 16 which she currently is.

Thing sold like hotcakes in January here.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
Im not into much jazz except Ella but I think she is very good.Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nikki sang the anthems at the last Montreal vrs Philly hockey game. Of course coast to coast TV here, everything stopped, and she stole yer heart. Sang alone, no backing at all. Just her voice. The American National Anthem was really really good, I bet she shows up at a Superbowl or World Series type of gig.

On the Canadian National Anthem the crowd sang along, it game me goosebumps.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,578
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200