Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#54990 - 01/08/10 10:59 PM [Off-Topic] Amazing young jazz singer!
SaxMarc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Southwest USA
Have any of you heard this girl? She's 15. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEhqf7qJAQ4

#54991 - 01/08/10 11:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: SaxMarc]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
She's got a voice, but some of moves are a bit pretentious for a 15 year old.

She has talent, at least in my opinion. If she keeps this up, in three or four years, she may just be a super talent

Gary

#54992 - 01/09/10 05:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: Gary Curran]
Richard-Stan's Fan Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Kent, England
She certainly is gifted; it's hard to believe that she is only 15 years old. I shall keep an eye out for her in future.

#54993 - 01/09/10 11:08 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: Richard-Stan's Fan]
Danny C. Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Louisiana
I guess I am in Gary's camp, while she has a very nice jazz voice and it's apparent she has studied the female masters stylings I'd rather just listen than actually watch her perform. Big talent know doubt.

Later,

The More You Drink The Better I Sound

#54994 - 01/09/10 11:32 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: Danny C.]
Mick Emery Offline
Expert

Loc: Needmore, PA, USA
Maybe she would prefer to be known as a "professional" rather than as a "kid"?
Just a thought....

#54995 - 01/09/10 11:56 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: SaxMarc]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
Sorry guys, but I don't see the amazing part.

She's good. She's a better singer than I am, (and that's not a compliment!).

I doubt that she'll ever make an impact on the jazz scene.

Just my opinion.

Bob

P.S. And the confused part is wondering why she was ever posted. It was a waste of 2min. and 22 seconds.

#54996 - 01/09/10 12:18 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: bobcflatpicker]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
To me, she's about average. I've heard some good young talent before, but she's far away from being amazing. I play Independent Artists on my Internet Radio shows and I can tell you that there is more "amazement" there, as far as young jazz singers are concerned.

Not to dodge her, but, as I said, she's average. Good, but not amazing.

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#54997 - 01/09/10 12:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: MikeK]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Daggone, guys, she's a kid!

That's a pretty good performance from a kid.

The promise shows in her scatting abilities.

That is, indeed, rare these days.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#54998 - 01/09/10 03:46 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: Mac]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
I would rather perform with this singer than with most that I've worked with.
BIAB 2018 PC Audiophile. Software: SONAR Platinum, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb RAM; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20 (2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#54999 - 01/09/10 04:04 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: Matt Finley]
flatfoot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento CA

I am hearing some serious skills here in her choice of notes and in her timing. Excellent interaction with the band. She leads when appropriate and sits back when appropriate. They seem to be feeding cues to each other, especially during the scats. She is not leaning on them to make her sound good. All excellent players, who understand and respect each others' place in the overall ensemble.

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab

#55000 - 01/11/10 09:12 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: SaxMarc]
Sandra Sherman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Vienna, Austria
She`s good. Definately. Not a superstar, but a "rough diamont".
She`s on a good way with the scatting. She hears and sings the resolutions, but doesn`t yet alter scales.
I liked her performance, she behaves like a jazz-singer pro, very solid.

Sandra

Website (in German):
https://www.sandrasherman.com

#55001 - 01/11/10 09:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: flatfoot]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
She's Canadian. Dr. Viki Meredith was an adjudicator at a competition she sang in when she was 7 or 8. Viki sits beside me in my Brass Band playing Baritone, with my wife on the other side. Viki is the dean of something and an award winning choral director and on the full time faculty at the local university, where her husband Dr. Henry Meredith teaches 'horns' and music appreciation, and leads the brass band. She thought she was amazing when she was younger. I think most Canadians that listen to jazz have heard her quite a bit. From ye olde wiki:

Nikki Yanofsky (born February 8, 1994), is a young jazz-pop singer from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. She has performed at the Montreal International Jazz Festival, at various events alongside well-known artists such as Oliver Jones, Wyclef Jean, Celine Dion, James Birch and performing the national anthems for the Montreal Canadiens three times and the Los Angeles Lakers.

Nikki has recorded Airmail Special for Verve Records, released on June 5, 2007 on the album We All Love Ella: Celebrating the First Lady of Song. The track was recorded at Bill Schnee Studios by Al Schmitt and was produced by Tommy LiPuma. It was mixed at the famous Capital Studios.

Nikki recorded Gotta Go My Own Way in English and in French for Walt Disney's High School Musical 2. Nikki collaborated with Grammy Award winning musicians Herbie Hancock and Will.i.am (from The Black Eyed Peas) to record a crossover version of the swing era hit Stompin' at the Savoy. It is used on Kareem Abdul Jabbar's audio book On the Shoulders of Giants.

Nikki and her production company A440 Entertainment, Inc., have recently come to a distribution agreement with Universal Canada and her first offering to the public, a live CD/DVD concert package entitled Ella... Of Thee I Swing, has already begun to be sold off stage at her concerts. The official launch of this product was on September 23rd, 2008, supported by several concerts.

Nikki is the youngest performer to headline her own show in the 29 year history of the Montreal International Jazz Festival. It was the summer of 2006 and she was only 12 years old. Since then, she has performed to sold-out crowds at each of the subsequent Montreal festivals. She also performed at the 2009 Montreal Jazz festival edition. She has also performed at Montreal's Bell Centre, The Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival in Montego Bay, with Marvin Hamlisch at Carnegie Hall in New York City and the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. and with The Count Basie Orchestra at the 2008 Luminato Festival in Toronto.

If I had her money I'd move somewhere warmer ...LOL..

#55002 - 01/11/10 11:14 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: John Conley]
SaxMarc Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Southwest USA
John:
Thanks for posting that information. In some of the other videos I saw of her, she shows off more of her talent. She's the first singer of that age that I have seen that is able to repeat some of Ella's work note for note (such as How High The Moon), and also scat perfectly in tune. Maybe I just haven't seen the young singers, but to me that is pretty impressive for a 14-15 year old.

#55003 - 01/12/10 05:31 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: SaxMarc]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Some of the posts reminded me of a newspaper forum where people were ripping up a local golfer for being 'un-talented', won one tournament, finishes in the top 200 most of the time, etc.

I couldn't help point out that he's made over 20 million, gets free travel meals, accommodation, massages, golf gear, and has earned around 20 million over the last 5 years and won the Masters. Only one guy was always better and look at him. I expect Mike, who went to BYU, might not fall into the women problems.

So you play Carnegie Hall and I guess you haven't made it yet.

I played the plumber's union hall...despite not being in the union. The kept asking for 'country'. I thought that mean Gord Lightfoot.

#55004 - 01/12/10 08:21 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Amazing young jazz singer! [Re: SaxMarc]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Quote:

John:
Thanks for posting that information. In some of the other videos I saw of her, she shows off more of her talent. She's the first singer of that age that I have seen that is able to repeat some of Ella's work note for note (such as How High The Moon), and also scat perfectly in tune. Maybe I just haven't seen the young singers, but to me that is pretty impressive for a 14-15 year old.

That kind of transcribing is the foundation of the art, man.

Where did Ella find her scat?

She transcribed some of the great horn men of the day.

And this young lady transcribed Ella.

Refreshing, after all the others, who seem to be everywhere, who think they can take a shortcut to standing on Ella's shoulders and never seem to realize why they fall flat with it.

Which is why I think this young lady will be able to develop her own compendium to work from if she sticks with it.

And is going to be a shining star one day for it...

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26966 Members
49 Forums
49708 Topics
406937 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
michelin, ArneFau, Kare Synnes, DrPersson, kenastill

26966 Registered Users