Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
somehow the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth is missing on my 32bit win 7 machine

any ideas on how to get it back

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Does it show up under Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices?
Right-click your main output and see if "about software MIDI synth" shows up?

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J

I see this all the time on several of the forums I visit, and I havn't seen a solution so far. There could be one, but it might be that the Microsoft GS Wavetable synth just won't run in Win 7.

What were you using it for, and maybe we can come up with a replacement.

Have a great day.

Jim

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting. On my Windows 7 32-bit system, the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth does NOT show up under Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Sound. But it DOES show up in BIAB as a choice for MIDI output driver.?

It works in BIAB (I know this because it sounds pretty awful compared to my Roland synth). Did you try using it?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth does NOT show up anywhere!!!!!! :-(

i bought piano for dummies to try out with an aki lp25 to use on a laptop when i am away from my home setup where i have my psr-550 ->tascam us-144 audio\midi usb interface

i'm pretty sure it was there when i first installed win 7 but i have installed and uninstalled a number of usb midi interfaces and keyboards since then

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
Off-Topic
E
Expert
Expert
E
If you cant get it to work, it's a blessing in my humble opinion. Nothing has turned away pro musicians from BIAB more than listening to this horrible product. They blame BIAB when in fact it has nothing to do with the sound coming out of it. Myself, I'm happy to see it go away. I'm sure Bill Gates has no pressing need for a better GM set, so I wouldn't count on a replacement/upgrade anytime soon.

If I may, I'd like to suggest you spend $35 for the Cakewalk Music creator 5 software, which includes the TTS-1 softsynth. For most hobbyists and students, the sounds are fine. And of course they are fully GM compatible.

Hope that helps,
Ed

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Did you guys try to find it using the method in my post?

Try it - its the only place I found it in Win7
If it is there, it should be available for use in BiaB and RB

In Control Panel, navigate to your Playback device (thru the sound section)
Right-click the main output device and look for "About software MIDI synth"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I can't find it using that method, and yet I do have it installed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Weird - I get a big ol Roland 'About" popup

maybe its soundcard device driver specific?
I thought it was part of Windows and Windows Update kept an eye on it..

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I get the same thing as Bob does. When I play a .mid file, I get what sounds like the Roland GS synth. I know it's not anything good. Since I don't have BIAB installed in this Win 7 install, I can't look to see if it's there or not, but it is installed on my computer.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Quote:

I get a big ol Roland 'About" popup

+1

but the gs synth does not show up as an option in any of the software i have

casio wk-7500
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
run dxdiag

then save the information to a text file

then search the text file for wavetable

shows the file here that way.. at least you'll know if it is truly missing

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
merging the edited reg files, from a new install of win 7 to a new dir, to the registry of win 7 install without the gs wave table synth has resulted in the return of the gs wave table synth

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic]
"GMFilePath"=hex(2):25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,00,6f,00,6f,\
00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,\
64,00,72,00,69,00,76,00,65,00,72,00,73,00,5c,00,47,00,4d,00,2e,00,44,00,4c,\

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic\SoftwareSynths]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectMusic\SoftwareSynths\{58C2B4D0-46E7-11D1-89AC-00A0C9054129}]
"Description"="Microsoft Software Synthesizer"

==========================================================================================

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"

casio wk-7500
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
good, glad ya found it!

Off-Topic
M
M
I had the same problem. I'm using win 7 64 bit. sonar 8 producer 64 bit. The Microsoft GS Wavetable synth does not appear anywhere as it used to in XP/VIsta. On both my desktop and laptop running the same thing, I needed to change the audio setting in sonar to Driver Mode MME (32 bit). Then start the wave profiler. when finished, close and restart sonar and the wavetable appears.

It doesn't matter on my desktop but I like to use my laptop with a mini midi keyboard away from home and now it works fine!

Hope this helps someone.. and WIN7 is the best I've yet seen. It's pretty much approaching the MAC!!

Kev

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

...and WIN7 is the best I've yet seen. It's pretty much approaching the MAC!!

Yeah, that's one of its biggest problems. If I'd wanted a Mac, I'da bought one...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The new update to BiaB includes the Coyote WaveTable plugin that allows this driver to show up in Biab/RB
Nice addition.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199